https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/116279-poll%3A_what_is_your_favourite_browser.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What is your favourite browser?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 24, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your favourite browser?".

This poll was originally submitted by Eleni Makantani

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your favourite browser?".

This poll was originally submitted by Eleni Makantani

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:09
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Avant Browser Sep 24, 2008

Despite what pretty much everybody says about Firefox, I still find it cannot manage appropriately few sites I visit often (font size problems, mainly), and that annoys me to death.

Avant is a good call if you need something in between Explorer and Firefox
G

Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Only used IE Sep 24, 2008

I have never used any other browser than IE and I don't know what difference Firefox of other browsers would make. I'll keep an eye on this poll to see if maybe I should switch.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:09
English to Polish
Safer and more convenient Sep 24, 2008

Marion Rooijmans wrote:

I have never used any other browser than IE and I don't know what difference Firefox of other browsers would make. I'll keep an eye on this poll to see if maybe I should switch.

They are safer and more convenient You can test most of them, as they are free and then choose if to switch or stay with IE.

I usually use Firefox, but sometimes also use Opera, or Mozilla. Very rarely Konqueror.

Anni

Anne-Sophie Cardinal
Anne-Sophie Cardinal  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:09
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Use ETHICLE ! Sep 24, 2008

Hello,

I would like to share about this fantastic search engine with everyone.

It is called ETHICLE.ORG and for every single search you make, $0.01 gets donated to the NGO of your choice. The donations are made by advertizing and are put towards these great charities.

Because I have been volunteering (at home and abroad - in Asia and Africa) for an NGO called Orphfund, so this is the organization I choose to support via all my Ethicle searches.

... See more
Hello,

I would like to share about this fantastic search engine with everyone.

It is called ETHICLE.ORG and for every single search you make, $0.01 gets donated to the NGO of your choice. The donations are made by advertizing and are put towards these great charities.

Because I have been volunteering (at home and abroad - in Asia and Africa) for an NGO called Orphfund, so this is the organization I choose to support via all my Ethicle searches.

Ethicle is a partner of Google and the searches are accurate.

So, search and click away with ETHICLE !
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Internet Explorer (for now) Sep 24, 2008

I have tried Firefox, and though I appreciate the concept behind it, I find that some of the plug-ins are amateurish. I also don't see a reason to have both IE and Firefox installed on the same computer. This just means cluttering the hard drive.

I am not saying that IE is stellar, but it serves its purpose. If I found a browser out there that were much better than IE, I would probably make the switch.

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Firefox, definitely Sep 24, 2008

The first thing that I found attractive about it years ago was surfing with tabs and not having zillions of browser windows open. Then IE did that too, but I'm sticking to Firefox because it works just great.

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:39
German to English
Agree - tabs were a first Sep 24, 2008

Catherine Shepherd wrote:

The first thing that I found attractive about it years ago was surfing with tabs and not having zillions of browser windows open. Then IE did that too, but I'm sticking to Firefox because it works just great.

Agree with Catherine This was what attracted me to Firefox. I sometimes have up to 40 (yes forty) tabs open!
Cheers!
Venkatesh

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Windows Internet Explorer Sep 24, 2008

I use this,because my computer likes only this browser!I wish it would bear also Firefox!I wish I could have Firefox!It's so much better!((

Elin Davies
Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Tabs again Sep 24, 2008

I was sold on Firefox by the tabs as well, and though IE do them now I'm converted and there's no going back. The other advantage I find is that I use the portable version of Firefox, which is saved on my USB stick. If I need to switch to another computer everything I have set up for browsing is there for me - bookmarks, opens the same tabs, settings and so on...

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:09
Spanish
+ ...
Firefox and its unvaluable extensions Sep 24, 2008

Firefox can be the best thing ever IF you know how to use it. I gave Google Chrome a try and almost went catatonic without all my extensions and tweaks. A few months ago I wrote an article about Firefox and some extensions particularly useful to translators: Internet & Applications for Translators.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maxthon Sep 24, 2008

My laptop came with Maxthon. It works fine, I get hardly any popups, and it, too, had tabs before IE. And since (apparently) the only people on earth who have heard of it are its creators, the guy who put it on the laptop he later gave me, and me, it's pretty safe from any browser-specific attacks.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Firefox 3 Sep 24, 2008

The reason I don't use IE is because that's where all the hackers concentrate their energies on, it's just not as safe as others.

IE is still the most used browser by about 80% or thereabouts but I have never liked it. It was the tabbed browsing that got me onto Firefox too.

For those still 'sitting on the fence', as it were, perhaps a glance here might help:

... See more
The reason I don't use IE is because that's where all the hackers concentrate their energies on, it's just not as safe as others.

IE is still the most used browser by about 80% or thereabouts but I have never liked it. It was the tabbed browsing that got me onto Firefox too.

For those still 'sitting on the fence', as it were, perhaps a glance here might help:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=12764&pn=1

That's an interesting wee article you've written Claudia, and I will check it out later on. Glad to see others are using FoxClox or whatever it's called!
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yup Sep 24, 2008

Catherine Shepherd wrote:

Same here. Plus it has a great adblock plugin.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I prefer Firefox Sep 24, 2008

because it's not Microsoft, which I increasingly resent, but due to inertia I still mostly use IE for work purposes.
I find Firefox much better for streaming TV shows and movies, and generally like the interface, but would need time to explore it more fully before making the definitive change.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your favourite browser?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »