Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: In which format do you keep the majority of your glossaries?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:33
English to French
+ ...
no glossaries ?!? Sep 27, 2008

Hello,

I'm stunned by the huge percentage associated to the answer "I dont even have a glossary". How is it possible ? Our glossaries, whether personal or given by the client, are our wealth, and compiling/enriching them is part of our job.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why Excel? Sep 27, 2008

Excel is a dedicated spreadsheet program, not a text program, and I always wonder how people can come to the idea of writing texts in such a program. Word is much more comfortable (use a table), also for sorting.

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
DejaVu TDB Sep 27, 2008

I import any glossaries I get my hands on into my "Bigmama" Dejavu TDB. As I work in English and French, I love the fact that you can enter translations in many languages to one source term - and invert them as you like.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-27 12:47]

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
Open Office Calc Sep 28, 2008

Similar to Excel

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
DVX Sep 28, 2008

Heike Kurtz wrote:

I import any glossaries I get my hands on into my "Bigmama" Dejavu TDB. As I work in English and French, I love the fact that you can enter translations in many languages to one source term - and invert them as you like.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-27 12:47]

Same here. In fact, there should have been another option in this poll for the terminology modules of the various CAT tools. Multiterm is by far not the only player in this field (and IMHO not even the best one).

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TXT, but use them rarely Sep 29, 2008

Instead of glossaries I use the Context search function in Wordfast. It allows for searching whole phrases instead of single words.
But for my ungoing project I recieved at the start a glossary in Excel format. The client asked me to look at it, select the best translation for entries that have more than one, and stick to using this terminology.
Well I did, converted the stuff to txt and used this glossary in Wordfast. When I got more familiar with the subject I realised that part of
... See more
Instead of glossaries I use the Context search function in Wordfast. It allows for searching whole phrases instead of single words.
But for my ungoing project I recieved at the start a glossary in Excel format. The client asked me to look at it, select the best translation for entries that have more than one, and stick to using this terminology.
Well I did, converted the stuff to txt and used this glossary in Wordfast. When I got more familiar with the subject I realised that part of the terminology was not very good. And there was lot of stuff missing. Later the customer send corrections of my translations and I saw that part of the terminology I had got through the glossary indeed was not ok.

But I wonder about the result of this poll. Most chose Excel or Word, only 6 percent TXT. But here in the discussion most of you talk about txt-files.

Because I use also SDLX is find it easy to import txt-files to termbase. But I have never used Multiterm with Trados. Instead I use the concordance search like the context search in Wf.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

lillkakan
lillkakan
English to Swedish
Slightly OT but... Sep 29, 2008

This goes slightly off topic but it's one of my pet peeves so...

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
... Well I did, converted the stuff to txt and used this glossary in Wordfast. When I got more familiar with the subject I realised that part of the terminology was not very good. And there was lot of stuff missing. Later the customer send corrections of my translations and I saw that part of the terminology I had got through the glossary indeed was not ok ...

I think this happens to all of us. I'm just now negotiating a project like this and trying to get my way with it, instead of the suggested workflow.
For some inexplicable (?) reason, clients and agencies love to have the glossary/termbase translated in advance. Then the UI (I localise a lot of software). Then the manual, readme and other documentation/actual text. What happens? You're forced to translate a glossary wtihout knowing the context, a task we all know can be next to impossible. Especially when the terms have already been alphabetised, that is to say they are not surrounded by even a hint of related terms.

Let's say for example the word "check" occurs in the glossary you're set to translate, not knowing the context. There can be maybe 7, 8, 9 instances of "check" in a row, in this sorted and alphabetised glossary. You don't have the project files (that would have provided context) yet. All these instances are from different parts of the project. Some are menu items, some are button labels, some refer to running checks in the program while some refer to putting a checkmark in a box, one is perhaps a section header in the Help-file and one might even be a payment option (for purchasing the software for example).

They can or do all have different translations. But in the glossary, I have 8-9 "checks" in a row that look just the same, and the client expects to receive back a flawless, ready-to-go glossary. How do you tackle that?

But alas I digress, this discussion was about formats of glossaries, not the quality of them. My apologies!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Sep 29, 2008

OK, I confess: I don't really have a glossary of terms.

What I do have is Wordfast's context search and Google Desktop - between them, I manange to find everything I need pretty quickly. I also have a couple of client-specific Excel glossaries and Gilberto Lacchia's invaluable PDF glossary of IT-EN medical abbreviations.

As to why I've never built an all-inclusive specific glossary, the two main factors are techno
... See more
OK, I confess: I don't really have a glossary of terms.

What I do have is Wordfast's context search and Google Desktop - between them, I manange to find everything I need pretty quickly. I also have a couple of client-specific Excel glossaries and Gilberto Lacchia's invaluable PDF glossary of IT-EN medical abbreviations.

As to why I've never built an all-inclusive specific glossary, the two main factors are technological incompetence (I tried, and failed, to build one with WF) and time. But I get by.
Collapse

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
usage-oriented file format Sep 29, 2008

Original glossary when not as pdf is converted in pdf to avoid unintentional modification and for second-level verification. Export for term processing is as txt (with label field for both source and target language, i.e. 4 fields), with later integration in cumulative .odt (for work in progress and updating) and export to pdf (periodically, for daily use).

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
excel Sep 29, 2008

my glossaries are on Ecel, but I woud have time to put them on trados multiterm.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Excel is not only for figures Sep 29, 2008

Rolf Kern wrote:

Excel is a dedicated spreadsheet program, not a text program, and I always wonder how people can come to the idea of writing texts in such a program. Word is much more comfortable (use a table), also for sorting.

You can also write text in the Excell columns. And they can be sorted very efficiently, especially if you have two or three source languages. You can take as many columns as you want to and paste huge sentences in them. Excel can be transformed in .txt and used by Wordfast. In the long run, Excel files are more convienient than Word tables because they are very small and don't take time to be sorted.

Note that the Microsoft glossary also comes in .csv, which is Excel compatible (just erase the languages (columns) you don't use).

I have all my glossaries in Excel, except some very old ones I scanned some years ago and which cannot be read by OCR.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In which format do you keep the majority of your glossaries?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »