Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Once you've finished a translation, do you wait for a while before you 'do' the final proofreading?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:56
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I really must try the housework thing! Oct 8, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Failing a good night's sleep, I find 30 mins of hoovering/washing up/ironing or cleaning the bathroom also helps my brain to mull over the text - and also brings some satisfaction of actually getting some housework done. And no, I am not a cleanness freak.

What a brilliant idea! I usually try to take a walk up the hill and back (7 - 10 minutes) or round the somewhat rural block, which takes at least 20 minutes... to get some air. Or at least out into the garden to get some parsley or vegetables for supper depending on the season!

I once did a translation of a VERY tongue-in-cheek speech to be held by the best man at a Norwegian-English wedding. In the bad old days, apparently, Norwegian brides-to-be were told to see that they got plenty of fresh air and exercise - but that washing the floor with the window open was quite as good as going for a walk!

I sleep on a translation too if I possibly can, but my deadlines are not always that long....

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
At least one hour Oct 8, 2008

and if possible, I'll do another (short) job before I come back to the thing. (It shakes off the cobwebs).

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:56
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

No, I do it immediately after...usually :( Oct 8, 2008

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

If I have time, I will leave the text overnight so that I can come back to it with "fresh eyes" in the morning. Otherwise, and if the deadline is looming, I usually have to make do with a couple of hours, or at least a tea break!

Unfortunately, depending on the deadline, I do not always have time to leave the text for a while and to "forget" what it is all about... Still, whenever possible, I prefer to have some rest before the proofreading - I need at least one coffee. Sometimes it is even life-saving!

Johanna von der Vring
Johanna von der Vring  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Italian to German
+ ...
It depends on the situation Oct 8, 2008

If a translation is very short (the work of some hours), I prefer to proofread it immedeately. If I finish very leate in the evening, I prefer to proofread the translation the following day. When I do a very long translation (one weak or many weeks), I usally try to use one day (sometimes even more) only for proofreading. This is not always possible, because clients normally want the translations as quick as possible.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
French to English
+ ...
Quite Oct 8, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Failing a good night's sleep, I find 30 mins of hoovering/washing up/ironing or cleaning the bathroom also helps my brain to mull over the text

Yes, dual satisfaction - or a walk with the dogs usually clears my head. That said, it isn't always practicable, depending on the deadline, as others have said. What I do try to do with long jobs is to proof-read all in one go if at all possible. It's so easy otherwise to miss inconsistencies, especially in a longer text where you may have decided to change something halfway through. This is a counsel of perfection, obviously and it isn't always feasible, which is why I answered "other".

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
English to Polish
Other Oct 8, 2008

Usually I take a break between translation and proofreading my work, but sometimes I don't have that luxury, and have to do it immediatelly.

I am surprised to see that 2,2% doesn't proofread. Does it mean they have other people/staff/co-translators to do that, or translated texts are not proofread at all?

Anni

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:56
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
i usually give it time to ferment Oct 9, 2008

and rest my eyes. If it's a long translation, I wait a while before beginning the revision. I'll do other things to clear my head, i.e. run errands. Shorter jobs, get onto sooner. Rush jobs of course, you don't have the luxury.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Oct 9, 2008

Overnight if possible, at least a couple of hours if not.

2.5% now saying they never proofread - I'd also be interested in seeing their reasons.

Katerina Fragkiadaki
Katerina Fragkiadaki  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:56
German to Greek
+ ...
Always sleep on it Oct 9, 2008

I've come to the conclusion that sleeping on it is the best way to go. In the past I noticed that when I did some other job/ watched Tv/ do housework etc. in the meantime, my brain was somewhat confused. That's why no matter what the deadline is, I plainly make sure that the day of delivery is proofreading day. If it's a big project, I simply estimate how much time it will take me to do the proofreafding and wake up earlier.

I know that the deadlines are more than rush, but quality
... See more
I've come to the conclusion that sleeping on it is the best way to go. In the past I noticed that when I did some other job/ watched Tv/ do housework etc. in the meantime, my brain was somewhat confused. That's why no matter what the deadline is, I plainly make sure that the day of delivery is proofreading day. If it's a big project, I simply estimate how much time it will take me to do the proofreafding and wake up earlier.

I know that the deadlines are more than rush, but quality is the main thing that makes us professionals, so I prefer to finish a translation at 3.00 at night, sleep just for 2 hours and then deliver a project.

P.S. Of course all the above does not apply when it's a very small project-say 500-1000 words.

As far as the people who do not proofread are concered, I sincerely hope they hire someone else to do it...
Collapse

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, a few hours Oct 9, 2008

beacause I need to keep my mind away from the translation to be more performant during the proofreading.

The best is if I have time to sleep before starting the profreading...

Péter Jutai
Péter Jutai  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I wish I had more time, and even more time and a little more time Oct 9, 2008

Because I usually translate whole books, I have loose deadlines. I have found that the more time I have, the more problems can I notice and correct. So I try to translate relatively fast, and save at least a week, then spend a day or two proofreading the text. A friend of mine had a job not so long ago, that had to be done in one night. The text was 360 000 characters long. He tried to collect freelance translators. The job was done – you can imagine the quality... Sometimes the quality doesn'... See more
Because I usually translate whole books, I have loose deadlines. I have found that the more time I have, the more problems can I notice and correct. So I try to translate relatively fast, and save at least a week, then spend a day or two proofreading the text. A friend of mine had a job not so long ago, that had to be done in one night. The text was 360 000 characters long. He tried to collect freelance translators. The job was done – you can imagine the quality... Sometimes the quality doesn't depend on us, but on the employer. And then you have to choose carefuly, this is almost as hard as to translate a document.

And those, who never proofread. I am not interested in seeing their reasons. I would be interested in seeing their translations

[Módosítva: 2008-10-09 12:47]
Collapse

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
It really depends on the length of the job, the subject and the deadline Oct 9, 2008

I generally wait till the next day to proof read, but can't honestly say I always do, because some of my clients want their translations straight away. I work a lot on press releases and new items for websites and you can't hang about for them.

Whatever the job, I always proof read and if I can I often ask someone else to proof read too.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Overnight Oct 11, 2008

After proof reading, I like starting the day by "one last reading" of the translations that need to be handed in. I fit that into my schedule and planning.
100 words emergency jobs don't necessarily wait until the next day.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Once you've finished a translation, do you wait for a while before you 'do' the final proofreading?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »