Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What do you miss most when you have a break between assignments?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 15, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you miss most when you have a break between assignments?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing Oct 15, 2008

I go to the cinema, play paddle, read, or do volunteer translations.

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Help! Oct 15, 2008

I actually miss the work... How bad is that?? And when I have lots of work I miss having free time...

I can't win!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
My breaks are planned ... Oct 15, 2008

... so I don't miss anything. I take a 4 or 5-day break every six weeks and normally fly over to the UK for part of that. Some shopping therapy and seeing a show/play is an essential part of "recharging my batteries".

Otherwise I'm normally booked up some weeks in advance - currently until 7 November, for instance - with large jobs and devote around half my daily capacity to those, always having smaller jobs due for the next day.

If I were forced to take a break becaus
... See more
... so I don't miss anything. I take a 4 or 5-day break every six weeks and normally fly over to the UK for part of that. Some shopping therapy and seeing a show/play is an essential part of "recharging my batteries".

Otherwise I'm normally booked up some weeks in advance - currently until 7 November, for instance - with large jobs and devote around half my daily capacity to those, always having smaller jobs due for the next day.

If I were forced to take a break because of illness, I'd probably climb the walls on the first day, although there's plenty of reading I could do if I had extra time on my hands.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
Enjoy myself with... Oct 15, 2008

...4 kids, 3 cats, 1 dog, 1 horse, some friends, a huge country property... what else could I ask for? A wife, maybe... but that's a different personal problem, isn't it?

Mohsin Alabdali
Mohsin Alabdali  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 06:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
Of Course I Miss It! Oct 15, 2008

To me translation is not mere work and a source of income. It is a hobby and a source of intense pleasure when I succeed in translating a phrase with all its possible shades of meaning. My translation work is my only remainig source of pleasure. Of course I miss it, very much so.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:33
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
if it goes on for too long Oct 16, 2008

then I start missing the work.
Last week I had almost nothing for a few days after a very busy week. However, it was kind of fortunate as I had a terrible cold. I was luckily able to take the time off and couldn't concentrate on anything more complicated than mindless tv. Just as I was getting better I got some work, just in time! I was starting to get a little stir crazy- there's only so much dumb tv you can watch.

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't have breaks Oct 16, 2008

With my classes at the University, I hardly have breaks. If I am not translating, I'm grading exams and checking homework.

In short, I rarely have spare time.

Lalit Sati
Lalit Sati  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:03
Member (2010)
English to Hindi
+ ...
when I have a break ... Oct 16, 2008

I am very fond of reading especially classical literature.
During my leisure time...Reading...Wandering...observing people... music...cinema.
I also enjoy cooking.

vicksy nurhayati
vicksy nurhayati  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
same with me :D Oct 16, 2008

Catherine Shepherd wrote:

I actually miss the work... How bad is that?? And when I have lots of work I miss having free time...

I can't win!

Strange isn't it ? I have the same feeling

vicksy

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:33
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have to fight to get a break! Oct 16, 2008

I missed the option for 'I miss the breaks when I work...'

More than once this year I have worked on Danish holidays (I live in Denmark) because they are not holidays where clients come from.

And of course, when everyone else over here is working, it's business as usual.

Anybody interested in taking up Danish to English?
... See more
I missed the option for 'I miss the breaks when I work...'

More than once this year I have worked on Danish holidays (I live in Denmark) because they are not holidays where clients come from.

And of course, when everyone else over here is working, it's business as usual.

Anybody interested in taking up Danish to English?
I've said sorry, but I simply don't have time, to several good clients and more than a week's work this week!

Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
no breaks... Oct 16, 2008

...except ones I've planned myself, of course.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Same here Oct 16, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

...except ones I've planned myself, of course.

so I have no reason not to enjoy them!

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Changes Oct 16, 2008

My attitude to enforced breaks has changed as they have become rarer - I used to worry a lot if there was no work coming in, but now I have more faith that it will continue to come in, I can relax if things are quiet, which I'm sure is much better for me in the long run! More often I'm scrambling to get things done before planned breaks (like this weekend, when there are ITI meetings all weekend).

I had two months off earlier this year when I was recovering from surgery - the income
... See more
My attitude to enforced breaks has changed as they have become rarer - I used to worry a lot if there was no work coming in, but now I have more faith that it will continue to come in, I can relax if things are quiet, which I'm sure is much better for me in the long run! More often I'm scrambling to get things done before planned breaks (like this weekend, when there are ITI meetings all weekend).

I had two months off earlier this year when I was recovering from surgery - the income was the thing I missed most, as I was too ill to do anything apart from watch DVDs (I value my mental health too much to watch British daytime TV). I did wish I could read more but it just wasn't happening.
Collapse

Astrid Waatland
Astrid Waatland  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Could have checked for more options ;) Oct 16, 2008

I never have breaks between jobs, even when other translators and even agencies complain that it's quiet, I never notice.

I absolutely love my job, and would never do anything else ever again!) Through the years, however, I've gotten better at taking time off - but as some people have already mentioned, it is indeed hard to find a balance. 12 more hours a day would perhaps help us?...
See more
I never have breaks between jobs, even when other translators and even agencies complain that it's quiet, I never notice.

I absolutely love my job, and would never do anything else ever again!) Through the years, however, I've gotten better at taking time off - but as some people have already mentioned, it is indeed hard to find a balance. 12 more hours a day would perhaps help us?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you miss most when you have a break between assignments?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »