Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use invoicing software?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 22, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use invoicing software?".

This poll was originally submitted by Julianne Rowland

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use invoicing software?".

This poll was originally submitted by Julianne Rowland

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Nitin Goyal
Nitin Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:03
Member (2007)
Punjabi to English
+ ...
Please suggest some free invoicing software. Oct 22, 2008

Hi

Can anyone suggest some free invoicing software, which is practically useful too.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 16:33
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Translation Office 3000 Oct 22, 2008

Despite all of the lukewarm comments about Translation Office 3000, I have found it invaluable in my work. I find myself spending more time translating and less time doing administrative work or guesswork as a result. Indeed, invoicing is just one facet of this application.

I especially like the invoice templates. I can set up a different payment method for each client without having to re-enter any data. Un
... See more
Despite all of the lukewarm comments about Translation Office 3000, I have found it invaluable in my work. I find myself spending more time translating and less time doing administrative work or guesswork as a result. Indeed, invoicing is just one facet of this application.

I especially like the invoice templates. I can set up a different payment method for each client without having to re-enter any data. Under the "Payments" tab, I can see who has paid and who has not - at a glance.

Well worth the money if you ask me!
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:33
Turkish to English
+ ...
What for? Oct 22, 2008

On average, I issue about 40 invoices per year. I simply copy and paste a previous invoice as a template and alter the details; if I have worked for that client before, I copy one of the invoices I previously sent to that client so that I do not even have to re-type the client's name and address. I then enter the details of the invoice at the back of a desk diary, and make a note here when they are paid. I estimate that I spend about one minute issuing and following up each invoice. This is fort... See more
On average, I issue about 40 invoices per year. I simply copy and paste a previous invoice as a template and alter the details; if I have worked for that client before, I copy one of the invoices I previously sent to that client so that I do not even have to re-type the client's name and address. I then enter the details of the invoice at the back of a desk diary, and make a note here when they are paid. I estimate that I spend about one minute issuing and following up each invoice. This is forty minute's work per year. I can understand why a large company which issues thousands of invoices per year would want to use invoicing software; it is beyond my comprehension why a freelance translator feels this need.Collapse

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Local time: 22:33
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Oct 22, 2008

I have set up 2 excel files :

in the first I have by line the following information :

client, client to sent invoice, title of the translated document(s), date of invoice, jobcode, amount without VAT, amout with VAT.

in the second excel file I build an invoice template and, using some "fonctions" I go to pic up information I need in the 1st excel file.

each time I have to issue an invoice I copy the last one in a new sheet, a rename it, and, I
... See more
I have set up 2 excel files :

in the first I have by line the following information :

client, client to sent invoice, title of the translated document(s), date of invoice, jobcode, amount without VAT, amout with VAT.

in the second excel file I build an invoice template and, using some "fonctions" I go to pic up information I need in the 1st excel file.

each time I have to issue an invoice I copy the last one in a new sheet, a rename it, and, I go in the fonction and only change the line number refferring to the client/job I have to issue the invoice.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
No Oct 22, 2008

I've had a look at the various threads on Translation 3000 and the like, but I'm not sure how useful I'd find it - I issue invoices per month not per job. And the sheer time it would take me to transfer all my data from my Excel files is extremely offputting. As it is, I only spend a couple of hours a month doing the invoices, plus about 30 seconds to enter each new job and sign off the old ones in my home-grown system, so I doubt it would save me much time anyway.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Excel templates Oct 22, 2008

Like xanthippe, I have several excel templates that I use, depending on the language of the invoice and the type of projects/billing requirements. I also usually bill monthly, like Marie-Hèléne, and it probably only takes a minute or two to generate an invoice for each client from the templates. And I can tell who's paid, not paid, been invoiced, is overdue, by looking at my primary excel file.
I developed this system over the last few years, it works well for me, so it's nowhere nea
... See more
Like xanthippe, I have several excel templates that I use, depending on the language of the invoice and the type of projects/billing requirements. I also usually bill monthly, like Marie-Hèléne, and it probably only takes a minute or two to generate an invoice for each client from the templates. And I can tell who's paid, not paid, been invoiced, is overdue, by looking at my primary excel file.
I developed this system over the last few years, it works well for me, so it's nowhere near broken or even bent, and therefore needs no fixing. I see no reason to invest in another software program, nor do I see the need to invest my *time* in learning to use invoicing software, free or otherwise.
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
of course Oct 22, 2008

I do. For the office it would be impossible to fill out these awful Hungarian formulars. In the real beginning I liked to prepare the invoices, today - this is the thing I hate mostly. Since I use the KeySoft software, I can bill the work in 3-4 minutes, and the system is counting the VAT, the days, shows the late payers, shows how many days they are late. All invoices are saved in PDF format as our invoicing regulations are very strict.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
without having to re-enter any data Oct 22, 2008

Reed D. James wrote:

I especially like the invoice templates. I can set up a different payment method for each client without having to re-enter any data. Under the "Payments" tab, I can see who has paid and who has not - at a glance.

Well worth the money if you ask me!

without having to re-enter any data - this is the most important, I agree

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:33
French to Spanish
+ ...
Impossible in Mexico. Oct 22, 2008

One MUST have official invoices, printed by authorized printers. These are valid for 2 years. Then, you must ask for others.
One can't, no way, print his own invoices.

Ballistic
Ballistic  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Shocking Oct 22, 2008

I'm shocked by the high percentage of people that don't use invoicing software (currently 80%).

I've been using TO3000 for nearly 4 years now and I could't do without it. It's also a reporting tool.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 13:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Does QuickBooks count? Oct 22, 2008

QuickBooks, to be sure, is not an "invoicing", but rather accounting software. You can do invoices with it, but it does much more - it keeps track of you accounts receivable, checks you receive, your expenses, etc.

The "find" function in QB alone is worth it: for example, I can find out when I last worked for a particular client, how much did I charge him and how long it took to receive payment.

The only downside is that you cannot e-mail your invoices.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes but ... Oct 22, 2008

Juan Jacob wrote:

One MUST have official invoices, printed by authorized printers. These are valid for 2 years. Then, you must ask for others.
One can't, no way, print his own invoices.

But there's surely no reason why you shouldn't use software to fill-in and print the data on the official forms - although you may need to use an old-fashioned dot-matrix printer if the official forms have carbon copies, and get your blank invoices pre-printed in fan-fold form.

That's standard practice in many businesses here in Chile where invoice forms must be pre-printed in two colours, stamped by the inland-revenue service before use, and expire after two years.

That said, many businesses here - including freelancers I believe - can now issue electronic invoices with digital signature.

And in a worst-case situation where there is no 'work-around' to JJ's problem, it's still worth using an accounting/invoicing software to generate the invoice data, even if (for the time being...) you have to transcribe it by hand onto the forms.

MediaMatrix

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:33
French to Spanish
+ ...
Forgot something... Oct 22, 2008

...mediamatrix: a typewriter (good old Olivetti) or a pencil!

"But there's surely no reason why you shouldn't use software to fill-in and print the data on the official forms - although you may need to use an old-fashioned dot-matrix printer if the official forms have carbon copies, and get your blank invoices pre-printed in fan-fold form."

Of course, but I don't have an old-fashioned dot-matrix printer, and my good old Olivetti died (R.I.P.) some years ago, so, I use a
... See more
...mediamatrix: a typewriter (good old Olivetti) or a pencil!

"But there's surely no reason why you shouldn't use software to fill-in and print the data on the official forms - although you may need to use an old-fashioned dot-matrix printer if the official forms have carbon copies, and get your blank invoices pre-printed in fan-fold form."

Of course, but I don't have an old-fashioned dot-matrix printer, and my good old Olivetti died (R.I.P.) some years ago, so, I use a very cheap Black Ink Bic Pencil.

No electronic invoices in Mexico, AFAIK.

I was very surprised, when I went to Chile, that EVERY little shop, even if you only by that cheap Black Ink Bic Pencil, gives you an invoice for USD 0.50!

And, Ballistic, nothing to be shocked about. That's the way it is here in Mexico.

Regards.
Collapse

No Oct 22, 2008

I made my own template.
For each invoice, I simply copy/paste the template and fill in the detail for the specif client and for the specific detail.
Why should I burden my computer's already overpopulate storage with another software?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use invoicing software?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »