Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do most of your friends/family consider you a workaholic?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 31, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do most of your friends/family consider you a workaholic?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 31, 2008

I think this is a pointless poll, but I believe I understand it. For example, I've had a slow couple of weeks and this afternoon, 5 pm Friday, I get 2 "urgent" jobs in due Monday. Result - I'm not going to the Halloween party at my friend's place. Does this mean I'm a "workaholic"? As a translator one often has to work weekends, late hours, and some friends with 9 to 5 jobs may not understand this.
I am self-employed and in these times of economic uncertainty, I feel that it is important f
... See more
I think this is a pointless poll, but I believe I understand it. For example, I've had a slow couple of weeks and this afternoon, 5 pm Friday, I get 2 "urgent" jobs in due Monday. Result - I'm not going to the Halloween party at my friend's place. Does this mean I'm a "workaholic"? As a translator one often has to work weekends, late hours, and some friends with 9 to 5 jobs may not understand this.
I am self-employed and in these times of economic uncertainty, I feel that it is important for me to accept the jobs coming my way, especially from faithful long-time clients. If that means my social life has to suffer, albeit briefly, then so be it.
Money makes the world go round, and pays the rent. If I stay at home working instead of going out to party, I earn cash instead of spending it. So, logic prevails...

[Edited at 2008-10-31 22:24]
Collapse

Emmanuelle Hingant
Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:37
English to French
What friends? Oct 31, 2008

I think this poll is fun and interesting, which is what they should be...

What do I answer if I'm so into work I don't have friends?
My friends often look at me with eyes wide open and ask: "you're working again this week-end??".

My name is E. and I am a workaholic (and don't do anything against it).

E.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:37
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Oct 31, 2008

Yes, they do, but I solve my problems by myself. This is, when they complaint about my intensive work, they don't forsee their incoming months, just like the cicada which had problems in Winter.

I prefer to be an ant.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:37
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no! Nov 1, 2008

a workaholic is someone who can't stop thinking of work. I know when i need time off. This week i was working almost non-stop since monday, including a big rush job. But today I had nothing to do. Usually there isn't much on the weekends...if nothing comes in friday it's usually the end of the work week. But if there is something for the weekend, I'll do it. I agree, in times like this, I don't turn down anything if I can help it. However, I was sick a couple of weeks ago and that week, nothing... See more
a workaholic is someone who can't stop thinking of work. I know when i need time off. This week i was working almost non-stop since monday, including a big rush job. But today I had nothing to do. Usually there isn't much on the weekends...if nothing comes in friday it's usually the end of the work week. But if there is something for the weekend, I'll do it. I agree, in times like this, I don't turn down anything if I can help it. However, I was sick a couple of weeks ago and that week, nothing came in. It was just lucky! i was so sick I would have probably said no rather than do a lousy job. That being said, when I was better I was really glad to be busy again, but that's because I enjoy working, not because I'm a workaholic.

[Edited at 2008-11-01 01:45]
Collapse

Istiani Prajoko
Istiani Prajoko  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:37
Member (2008)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I never ask them Nov 1, 2008

and they never complain. They know I work during the day in the office, then at night, during week ends and holidays I do my translation.
Once in a while, but not very often, I spend more time with my family (shopping and going to the movie with them, visiting my siblings etc)

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That is so true Nov 1, 2008

Guilty as charged...

Not only do they see me as a workaholic, but I also consider myself as one.

My friends and family often complaint that I don't have time for them. I work so intensively that sometimes I don't even leave home for several days. And it has always been like that as far as I can remember.

Although I keep trying to forget about work sometimes, I don't think I will change, at
... See more
Guilty as charged...

My friends and family often complaint that I don't have time for them. I work so intensively that sometimes I don't even leave home for several days. And it has always been like that as far as I can remember.

Although I keep trying to forget about work sometimes, I don't think I will change, at least not for now...

Elisabete
Collapse

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
YES & NO Nov 1, 2008

With almost two decades as a freelancer working from home, I have convinced my family and friends that translating is my passion, my hobby and my job, in that order.

Of course, they still object to my working long hours -and particularly my preference for the peaceful nighttime, not to mention my natural need for just a few hours of sleep a night. However, my mom has been my best defender, because she knows I have been a night bird from childhood...
See more
With almost two decades as a freelancer working from home, I have convinced my family and friends that translating is my passion, my hobby and my job, in that order.

Of course, they still object to my working long hours -and particularly my preference for the peaceful nighttime, not to mention my natural need for just a few hours of sleep a night. However, my mom has been my best defender, because she knows I have been a night bird from childhood

On the other hand, although I miss a birthday party here and there (I have my parents, 2 daughters, 4 siblings and 13 nephews and nieces, and we are a very close-knit bunch), they know for sure that I would be there if I could. I think keeping in touch is very important. If they know you care, they will understand.

Have a great weekend, guys!
Collapse

Ieva Englund
Ieva Englund
Sweden
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
True, true... Nov 1, 2008

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

Guilty as charged...

Elisabete

Me too.. I cannot live without work. If I do not have any translation projects available, I create my own projects (charity, family, friends, local organisations). Lately I create projects "for my family" - being busy themselves, they complain less.)

Great poll! I feel less quilty seeing that there are more like me.

Good luck with your work!
Ieva

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:37
English to Dutch
+ ...
not at all Nov 1, 2008

I'm definitely not a workaholic.
I do not work during the weekends except maybe some small things that I didn't finish on Friday and on very rare occasions (good customer and good rate). I always have more work than I can handle on weekdays and I really need the time off.
There's more to life than just work.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Yes Nov 1, 2008

My friends (especially those who are retired or civil servants or employed by a company) see me as a workaholic. But they thought that also when I was a teacher.
Translator friends consider I am "normal": I do take breaks, holidays and long week-ends off - not at the same time 9-5 workers do, that's all

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably just stupid Nov 1, 2008

In the past people used to work every hour God sent, but nowadays people value their leisure time enormously. If I work long hours and on weekends my friends just think that I'm stupid, and actively encourage me to make the necessary changes. After all, they have both the money and the leisure time. I think that we should all aim for 40 hours from Monday to Friday, otherwise you'll just be missing out, so don't kid yourself...

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
But it's fun Nov 1, 2008

After 24 years of corporate life, I've found something I enjoy. It's always varied, with lots of different things to learn. And strangely, just like MBlanshay, if I'm doing something else (or ill), work seems to stop arriving - very odd, that! If I get told I'm a workaholic (which I have been and sometimes I am), I simply say that it's fun and anyway, working on Saturday or Sunday makes up for a day off in the week, which I couldn't do in corporate life. If the washing machine broke down in ... See more
After 24 years of corporate life, I've found something I enjoy. It's always varied, with lots of different things to learn. And strangely, just like MBlanshay, if I'm doing something else (or ill), work seems to stop arriving - very odd, that! If I get told I'm a workaholic (which I have been and sometimes I am), I simply say that it's fun and anyway, working on Saturday or Sunday makes up for a day off in the week, which I couldn't do in corporate life. If the washing machine broke down in the week, it had to wait until the weekend when you can't get spares or a repairman. Now I manage my own time - how much better is that?
Interlangue is right. If you work weekends but have a day or 2 off in the week, tell your "accusers" that your weekend is just on different days to theirs. Here in France , most shops are open until 7pm, even on Saturday, but they're closed on Monday - does that mean these people moved their time off or are they workaholics (this is France, remember!)?
If you enjoy youself, that's what matters.
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
??? Nov 1, 2008

This is a pointless poll. I an describe myself as a workaholic, but this is my personal problem. If I had a "normal family", I would definitely change it. Regarding to friends, I am not ready to judge them.

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I've noticed that too! Nov 1, 2008

Simon Cole wrote:
And strangely, just like MBlanshay, if I'm doing something else (or ill), work seems to stop arriving - very odd, that!

It happens to me too! I had to travel quite a few times this year, and I was so worried that I would be missing good projects, or be unavailable to my best clients. Very strangely, every time I had to travel, I had quiet periods! I was thinking I was crazy to make that connection, but, hey, I am not the only one!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do most of your friends/family consider you a workaholic?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »