Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Do you work from more than one physical location?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:51
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Nov 6, 2008

Mainly in Luxembourg, Spain and France. I would never be freelance without the freedom part!

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 04:51
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Sure... Nov 6, 2008

Mexico, the US, and Finland....

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
2 Locations Nov 6, 2008

India and France.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:51
Member (2008)
French to English
No Nov 6, 2008

I am lucky in that three of the four walls of my office are windows, so I don't feel too cooped up (nice view of the pouring rain today for my birthday - I am picking a new birthday, November stinks). I like to get out as much as the next person, but I do not want to bring my work with me. I like to work where everything is set up in such a way that I can be as efficient as possible and get it DONE so I can go out and do something else. I do have a laptop, but it is so old it is more of an ov... See more
I am lucky in that three of the four walls of my office are windows, so I don't feel too cooped up (nice view of the pouring rain today for my birthday - I am picking a new birthday, November stinks). I like to get out as much as the next person, but I do not want to bring my work with me. I like to work where everything is set up in such a way that I can be as efficient as possible and get it DONE so I can go out and do something else. I do have a laptop, but it is so old it is more of an oversized paperweight- it doesn't even have a working wireless card. So in fact, I am telling the truth when I tell clients that I can't do even that one little job on my vacation. Of course, I only take three day vacations because otherwise I worry too much about my dog, but that is another story.Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Nov 6, 2008

Most of the time, I work at home (Mexico City) but some times I have to go out to other states in the Mexican countryside; sometimes I'm in Venezuela and have no problems to work there too.

Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
NO (but should have vited "YES") Nov 6, 2008

Until this week, my work was exclusively from home (I did one job at my MIL's, in her computer, but just once). THis week, however, I've finally bought my laptop, so maybe I'll be able to work from a different location every now and then... Like when I go for New Year's Eve to Buenos Aires to visit my family. Although I DO NOT intend to work until the 7th of January, my visit will last till the end of January, so I'll HAVE to work before I come home to Spain.

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
3 + Nov 6, 2008

Now I'm working at my fiancé's place in Piombino, Tuscany, sea-side. This afternoon I was working at my place, in Florence. Maybe tomorrow I'll work at my parent's place, where I have my second printer and 2nd Internet connection (still Piombino). 20 days ago I worked from Antalya, Turkey. I also sent a translation 1 hour before boarding, from Pisa airport.
Other places I've worked from: Antakya (Turkey), Halep and Damascus (Syria) from Internet cafés and sometimes with a high fever, Cra
... See more
Now I'm working at my fiancé's place in Piombino, Tuscany, sea-side. This afternoon I was working at my place, in Florence. Maybe tomorrow I'll work at my parent's place, where I have my second printer and 2nd Internet connection (still Piombino). 20 days ago I worked from Antalya, Turkey. I also sent a translation 1 hour before boarding, from Pisa airport.
Other places I've worked from: Antakya (Turkey), Halep and Damascus (Syria) from Internet cafés and sometimes with a high fever, Cracow (home and Internet cafés), Cluj Napoca (friend's place).
And I want to increase my locations, because this is the great side of our profession!

Thanks for this poll.
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:51
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
At home, period Nov 6, 2008

I have self-forbidden the use of laptops.
My one and only workplace since I work as a freelance translator is at home.
Curiously enough: I use my wife's desk for my PC, while she uses my old wooden drawing table for her paperwork

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez
Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Not really any longer Nov 6, 2008

And I am happy that I don´t move around with the laptop any longer (excluding interpreting jobs...)

Mabel

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 12:51
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
All over the world Nov 6, 2008

The main attraction of freelancing for me is that I can travel. I left Ireland to see the world in 1981. My first stop was Denmark, where I stayed for the next 25 years! Both myself and my wife translate, we have no kids and our main interest is travelling.
So far we have visited almost 100 countries, but we have only actually delivered work from about 20 of them.
Internet access is becoming so widespread that last year we decided to cut all our ties to home and take to the road full
... See more
The main attraction of freelancing for me is that I can travel. I left Ireland to see the world in 1981. My first stop was Denmark, where I stayed for the next 25 years! Both myself and my wife translate, we have no kids and our main interest is travelling.
So far we have visited almost 100 countries, but we have only actually delivered work from about 20 of them.
Internet access is becoming so widespread that last year we decided to cut all our ties to home and take to the road full time. Things haven't quite worked out as we expected (we ended up buying an apartment in the first country we got to, Ireland!).
Still, we leave for Buenos Aires on Monday for 6 weeks, then Indonesia for 6 weeks and then on to Australia for 6 weeks.
Of course, the physical freedom is counterbalanced by the fact that I often feel tied to my laptop and with an umbilical relationship to the internet.
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only one, but an excellent one Nov 6, 2008

And that is the room we use as an office, in the back part of the house, overlooking several gardens and a pedestrian walkway.

The only time I translated somewhere else, using a laptop, was in a hotel room in Buenos Aires and that I think was a criminal act because I should have been outdoors enjoying the city!

But –and I hope this isn't too off topic– unlike other people, I feel anything but lonely here. My husband often uses another computer a couple of meters aw
... See more
And that is the room we use as an office, in the back part of the house, overlooking several gardens and a pedestrian walkway.

The only time I translated somewhere else, using a laptop, was in a hotel room in Buenos Aires and that I think was a criminal act because I should have been outdoors enjoying the city!

But –and I hope this isn't too off topic– unlike other people, I feel anything but lonely here. My husband often uses another computer a couple of meters away and likes to comment on what he's doing or reading, mostly medical stuff. My daughters and their friends sometimes come in for conversation. On Fridays the cleaning lady just loves to see what I'm up to: confidentiality is not impaired because she doesn't understand English but she enjoys looking at any images I can show her. And it's good to be able take a break now and then and do some cooking or whatever.

Finally, like Noni, I love to know that there are other real people out there, and your postings about laptops, children, pets and any other business all contribute to make me happier! So thank you for sharing these personal details.

Best wishes to all,

Lucía
Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Between Madrid and Berlin Nov 6, 2008

It took me a while to get round to taking advantage of a globalised world. Am happily between Madrid and Berlin at the moment. Will be going to the UK for a while next year, of all places

Daniela Koleva
Daniela Koleva  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
My office travels with me... Nov 6, 2008

I am really lucky to have this job as it allows me to travel and work. This year, for example, I was more than a nomad - working in Bulgaria (my home country), Holland (my boyfriend's home country), France and now I'm stuck in US till Christmas. As my boyfriend travels a lot for his work, I can follow him everywhere... That's all I love about translating - I can be mobile and free. Of course, no work on holidays... See more
I am really lucky to have this job as it allows me to travel and work. This year, for example, I was more than a nomad - working in Bulgaria (my home country), Holland (my boyfriend's home country), France and now I'm stuck in US till Christmas. As my boyfriend travels a lot for his work, I can follow him everywhere... That's all I love about translating - I can be mobile and free. Of course, no work on holidays I simply don't take my laptop with me.
I also interpret and that's the really fun part.

So, I pack my office in my backpack and where do you want me to go.....
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
home office Nov 6, 2008

however, i will take my laptop from one place to another IN my home. I'd go to a cafe but I'd find it distracting. Some people say they have trouble working at home but I have few distractions here- no kids or anything, I turn the phone off if I'm busy or on a rush job.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
In-house and at home Nov 7, 2008

9 to 5 downtown and from home when I do freelancing

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work from more than one physical location?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »