Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you planning on participating in the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 10, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you planning on participating in the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest?".

This poll was originally submitted by RominaZ

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you planning on participating in the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest?".

This poll was originally submitted by RominaZ

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:48
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Sadly, no but... Nov 10, 2008

As much as I'd like to participate in a translation contest, source texts chosen by ProZ are always of a literary nature. This means that all of us technical translators cannot participate.

If there is ever a contest involving a technical text I'd be more than happy to submit an entry.

Cheers!

Laureana

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The text this time just doesn't appeal Nov 10, 2008

Laureana Pavon wrote:

As much as I'd like to participate in a translation contest, source texts chosen by ProZ are always of a literary nature.

Laureana

One of the previous French texts wasn't too literary, and I had a go at it, but this one is definitely out for me

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:48
Dutch to English
+ ...
advertising Nov 10, 2008

This poll feels very much like a not-too-subtle advertisement for the said contest, or am I just being cynical?

[Edited at 2008-11-10 16:31]

Ian Bradburn
Ian Bradburn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Would if I could... Nov 10, 2008

I've never been able to participate in any of the translation contests run on the site as there hasn't been a source text in my languages. This time is no different

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am participating Nov 10, 2008

And I like these contests because they represent an opportunity to show our skills.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 12:48
Yes Nov 10, 2008

I seldom get any feedbacks for my translations. The translation contest is one of those rare opportunities, in which plenty of feedbacks are made on my translation.

There was a forum post lately, which talks about "language conservative" in the translation branch. Yes, if I do a translation for a client, I would be as literal as possible; but in the contest I pay more attention to the fluence and readability of the target text. Test the boarder, to see how the peers react...

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:48
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Only if... Nov 10, 2008

If translation subjects wouldn't be limited only by (somewhat stupid) literary texts. Why not technical/scientific..?

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
umm... Nov 10, 2008

I'm not a member, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Anindita Basu (X)
Anindita Basu (X)  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:18
English to Bengali
+ ...
Other (can't, not a member) Nov 10, 2008

else I would have.

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
No Nov 10, 2008

I have no time at all, but there's another reason. The winning translation of the past competition (RO>IT) was bad indeed. It wasn't Italian. Our complaints were useless, so I doubt of the jury...

Paola

Ludmilla3
Ludmilla3
Local time: 02:48
English to Russian
No Nov 10, 2008

On the one hand, I have no time at all. On the other hand, I am not a member. So I can't participate.

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
I would like to participate but I am not a premuim/paid member Nov 10, 2008

so I can't participate at all

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 12:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing wrong with advertisement Nov 10, 2008

Jon O wrote:

This poll feels very much like a not-too-subtle advertisement ?

[Edited at 2008-11-10 16:31]

I agree with you Jon, it can be considered advertisement; however, I do not see anything wrong with it.

The prizes are great! I have to find the time to participate

Greetings

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Nov 10, 2008

I'm far too busy. I also agree that some of the previous competition offerings left much to be desired.
I am also dubious about the desirability of treating translation as a competitive activity, although it may serve as a learning experience for the participants. The world is cut-throat enough.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you planning on participating in the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »