Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are you planning on participating in the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
feedback Nov 10, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

The translation contest is one of those rare opportunities, in which plenty of feedbacks are made on my translation.

It's a wondeful chance to get feedback from highly qualified colleagues and to see how other people translate the same text.

Hopefully next year there will be more technical texts so nobody feels left out.

No, my clients are my judges Nov 10, 2008

When I was an employee of a University library, supervisor came to us and told that we have to change direction of our desks once in every three month or so.
In a nutshell, supervisor has to do something to make self look innovative and sharp.
All she ended up was, instead of something productive and meaningful, as trifle as changing desks direction.

What ProZ has come up with so far including this Translation Contest reminds me of the supervisor.

Contest ma
... See more
When I was an employee of a University library, supervisor came to us and told that we have to change direction of our desks once in every three month or so.
In a nutshell, supervisor has to do something to make self look innovative and sharp.
All she ended up was, instead of something productive and meaningful, as trifle as changing desks direction.

What ProZ has come up with so far including this Translation Contest reminds me of the supervisor.

Contest may be good for novice translators to gain some recognition.
As for me, I see neither need nor time.
ProZ has done enough good to us translators already.
What do you think you need to do more other than playing a trifle as this?

My clients are my judges.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 00:08]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Does voting count? Nov 11, 2008

Does voting on entries count as participation?

I am very anxious to see what solutions people came up with for the play on words in the Spanish > English text.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 04:08]

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:15
French to German
+ ...
Stupid literary texts? Nov 11, 2008

mk_lab wrote:

If translation subjects wouldn't be limited only by (somewhat stupid) literary texts. Why not technical/scientific..?

Didn't really notice what's so stupid about literary texts. Do you mean this one in particular or are all literary texts stupid in your opinion?

Anyhow, I was stupid enough to participate and I actually enjoyed it, even if I don't win...

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:15
English to French
+ ...
this contest is not for me Nov 11, 2008

I hardly can find time when work is over, so why a contest, there are enough challenges in life already.

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
No Nov 11, 2008

simply because I'm a "user" of proz, not a "member" and the contest is for "members only" - making this a situation where translators pay to do a translation

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sorry, no time! Nov 11, 2008

I have looked at these competitions though, and started on earlier ones.

Normally I don't do literary translations either, but sometimes marketing texts actually border on it, and tourist brochures quote famous people who have lived in or near museums! And literary texts may contain quite fascinating technical descriptions, kept just within the limits of what the general reader understands. Or they go beyond it for effect!

I deliberately try to push my limits, write art
... See more
I have looked at these competitions though, and started on earlier ones.

Normally I don't do literary translations either, but sometimes marketing texts actually border on it, and tourist brochures quote famous people who have lived in or near museums! And literary texts may contain quite fascinating technical descriptions, kept just within the limits of what the general reader understands. Or they go beyond it for effect!

I deliberately try to push my limits, write articles in my source language and translate pieces outside my normal field, when it is not for a client and especially when there is a chance of feedback. It is a sort of exercise, like a pianist playing scales, or a way of sharpenng my tools, or rediscovering things I had forgotten about in the dictionaries and reference books.

I cannot resist the temptation to chip in on this and that. Like participating in Proz.com forums... If the PhD supervisor had suggested that sort of thing instead of pushing desks about the floor, I could have understood it!

Happy translating, folks!

Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
It should Nov 11, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
Does voting on entries count as participation?

It takes as much time or longer to read and analyse every entry than to provide your own translation.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your feedback Nov 11, 2008

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your opinions about contests here. Indeed, proposing this poll was a way of advertising the 1st Annual Translation Contest a bit more because I wanted to make sure that everyone is informed of this opportunity whether they later decide to take it or not.

Jeff Whittaker wrote: Does voting on entries count as participation?

Yes, voting does count as participating and it is an essential part of contests. You are all invited to visit the contest page after November 20 to see how contestants did and cast your votes.

Thanks.

Romina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you planning on participating in the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »