Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is the bandwidth speed of your Internet connection? (Choose the closest)
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 11, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is the bandwidth speed of your Internet connection? (Choose the closest)".

This poll was originally submitted by Alejandro Moreno-Ramos

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is ru
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is the bandwidth speed of your Internet connection? (Choose the closest)".

This poll was originally submitted by Alejandro Moreno-Ramos

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:14
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Upgrade speed -> Increased productivity Nov 11, 2008

Given that acess to the Internet is crucial for our business, I wanted to know what other translators have as bandwidth speed.

Personally, I think it is wise to invest on a fast and -most importantly- reliable connection. I recently upgraded from a 4 M DSL connection to a 30 M cable one and I could not be happier. I wonder now if I should upgrade to 100 M.

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
? Nov 11, 2008

How can anyone work with less than 56K? I'd go mad.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 14:00]

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Nov 11, 2008

Hi all!

I voted Other, as the option for 512 Kb is not available.
I´d like to have a faster connection, but this is the only option in my area.
Regards,
Marina

[Edited at 2008-11-11 14:07]

Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Changes Nov 11, 2008

Mine seems to be constantly switching between 24M, 36M and 54/56M. That's weird. I'd never noticed.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Don't know... Nov 11, 2008

I'm ashamed to confess that I haven't the faintest idea - it's standard ADSL, not running through an optical fibre, is all I can say!

I also have a mobile connection whose speed depends on where I am. Unfortunately, where I need it most (at my weekend house in the heart of the Lazio countryside) it's only 56 kb. That's slow and irr
... See more
I'm ashamed to confess that I haven't the faintest idea - it's standard ADSL, not running through an optical fibre, is all I can say!

I also have a mobile connection whose speed depends on where I am. Unfortunately, where I need it most (at my weekend house in the heart of the Lazio countryside) it's only 56 kb. That's slow and irritating, but I can actually work with it OK - it limits my online procrastination rather than receipt and transmission of work. So it's possibly even a good thing!

Editing to say that according to TextClick's link (thanks, Chris) I've got 0.5 MB on my ADSL line.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 17:27]
Collapse

Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to French
+ ...
3 MB for now Nov 11, 2008

I have a 3 MB broadband connection and that's plenty for me. Very fast access and no problem in sight. It will automatically be increased next month to 7 MB for the same price though.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 01:14
English to Greek
+ ...
What's the closest to... Nov 11, 2008

...2MB? 1 or 3 MB? Anyway, I answered 3, because my speed is 2MB at the moment, but the provider has promised 6 MB in the following weeks at a reduced price (another interesting poll would be how much Internet costs in different countries for some indicative speeds).

CheerZ!!!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
7.2 MB Nov 11, 2008

... on my mobile connection, at any rate - which I'm using right now.

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
1 MB but I thinking of changing Nov 11, 2008

I've recently been told that I could get up to 5 mega, so I'm thinking of changing. I rang my ISP but got someone who barely spoke French on the phone and couldn't make myself understood - I do hate that
So I've left it for the moment, but the decision won't be too far off.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't know? Nov 11, 2008

Check from a safe source: http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/test_0150.asp

Click on 'Internet Connection Speedometer' at the bottom of the left menu/list then click where prompted.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 16:09]

S_Angel (X)
S_Angel (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Thanks! Nov 11, 2008

Textklick wrote:

Check from a safe source: http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/test_0150.asp

Click on 'Internet Connection Speedometer' at the bottom of the left menu/list then click where prompted.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 16:09]

Thank you for the link, now I know my bandwidth speed is 1 MB.
Too bad I had already voted "don't know"...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:14
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't know. It goes "woosh!" Nov 11, 2008

Textklick's link is wonderful - the speedometer is at superspeed.

I switched to cable and built a wireless LAN in my house, IloveitIloveitIloveit.

Sorry Chris, I misspelled "Textklick". Bummer.

[Edited at 2008-11-11 17:41]

Helena Genel
Helena Genel
United States
Local time: 15:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
5 MBPS, optical fiber Nov 11, 2008

Very happy with this speed; I can watch Netflix movies instantly without interruptions

I use this tool to determine the download/upload speed: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

andres-larsen
andres-larsen
Venezuela
Local time: 18:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do not have an Internet connection Nov 11, 2008

I use a nearby cibercafe with its broadband connection during the day and work off-line on my Pentium 4 in the evenings, transferring my translation back and forth with a pendrive, until I complete my job.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the bandwidth speed of your Internet connection? (Choose the closest)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »