Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever treated a real client's message as spam?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 12, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever treated a real client's message as spam?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariam Osmane

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each tim
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever treated a real client's message as spam?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariam Osmane

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:05
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

It can happen Nov 12, 2008

My spam filter has twice sent a client's e-mail directly to the spam folder: once because the subject was all caps and the other because the subject was in German (I don't know why but I get lots of spam in German...)
Needless to say I always check my spam folder carefully before performing any cleanup
Cheers!
Laureana

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Local time: 06:05
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
no Nov 12, 2008

but I check my spam folder once a day....

Brigith Guimarães
Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:05
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It can happen Nov 12, 2008

It happenned a few times. I have no idea why but even regular customers get the privilege of the spam folder sometimes!
After that, I always check my spam before cleaning it up, just in case some million dollar job goes down the drain...
Salute to all.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
I did not... Nov 12, 2008

... my system did. That is why none of the delete functionalities are automated here.

In 2003, several customers (the type that send the same mail to all their translators at the same time) warned us for that risk and asked us to create a special filter for them))

Rui Cabanita
Rui Cabanita  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
had to turn off spam filter Nov 12, 2008

My webmail filter sent several proper messages to the spam folder. I had to turn off the filter, since I can never trust automatic filters enough. If you're going to check 2 folders for your clients' messages, why not check just one?...

[Edited at 2008-11-12 14:42]

[Edited at 2008-11-12 14:42]

Sarah Dakhlaoui
Sarah Dakhlaoui  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
Spanish to Arabic
+ ...
No... Nov 12, 2008

I always check the spam folder before deleting the messages.

Sarah

Dusan Rabrenovic
Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2008)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
checking through the spam folder Nov 12, 2008

..sure beats the point of a spam folder, doesn't it? Still, I religiously check every spam mail subject to make sure there's no hidden gems in that dirthole.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 21:05
English to Russian
+ ...
This is why I put up with "penis enlargement" and other annoying e-mails Nov 12, 2008

There ceratainly are many aggressive anti-spam programs on the market, that will surely rid me of offers of "cheap Canadian drugs", "penis enlargement", "congratulations - you won the lottery" and other silly e-mails.

But the chance that these programs swallow one e-mail I want to receive among dozens of those I don't stops me from using them. Better click "delete" button a few times a day.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
my spam filter must have bigger holes... Nov 12, 2008

I haven't ever found a client in the spam folder, so I don't check as consistently as I might otherwise. I still get some minor spam in my inbox.
There are some key words that my filter automatically purges, however, so it's possible that one of those plum jobs never even made it to spam. Not that I'm going to change that setting: my email address got picked up by a spammer and I was getting 400 bounced emails per day for a while. So anyone using mailer-daemon as an agency name is auto
... See more
I haven't ever found a client in the spam folder, so I don't check as consistently as I might otherwise. I still get some minor spam in my inbox.
There are some key words that my filter automatically purges, however, so it's possible that one of those plum jobs never even made it to spam. Not that I'm going to change that setting: my email address got picked up by a spammer and I was getting 400 bounced emails per day for a while. So anyone using mailer-daemon as an agency name is automatically shunted to the black hole...:)
Collapse

Paula González Fernández
Paula González Fernández  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yep... Nov 12, 2008

My system does sometimes, but that is not a problem cos I normally check the Spam folder constantly. However, while I was "on holidays" I could check my mail, although the connection was not very good. Therefore, I saw one message from a new address and, I don't really remember why, I thought it was spam and deleted it. Fortunately, the client phone to check that I had received the mail...

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Yes I did Nov 12, 2008

I had been contacted several times, at several months interval, by a potential customer, asking me for a quote, then no news.
Each time it looked like it was the first time he was contacting me.
The third time, after answering, I realized that I had got other such requests, searched my emails, and sent him another email to let him know that, although he might be trying to contact ATA's translators randomly, it was the third time that I was losing my time analyzing his jobs, and that
... See more
I had been contacted several times, at several months interval, by a potential customer, asking me for a quote, then no news.
Each time it looked like it was the first time he was contacting me.
The third time, after answering, I realized that I had got other such requests, searched my emails, and sent him another email to let him know that, although he might be trying to contact ATA's translators randomly, it was the third time that I was losing my time analyzing his jobs, and that I was going to set a filtering rule to discard his emails.
A bit later, he contacted me again, as he got the bid, and I ignored his email. However, he insisted and called me on the phone. I finally accepted.
He turned out to be an excellent customer, allowing me reasonable delays and paying promptly.
Collapse

Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to French
+ ...
No but... Nov 12, 2008

... I did quite the same thing on Skype yesterday.

I blocked an outsourcer from contacting me again as I thought it was some kind of spam!

The thing is that I get a lot of suspicious contacts and requests on Skype, i.e. be my friend, and I guess I became a bit trigger-happy with the Block user option.

Luckily he sent me an email afterwards and I realised my mistake.

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
Pushy customers Nov 12, 2008

Hey - Bohy and Nathalie White are really lucky to have customers who keep contacting them to insist they take work. I sympathise with Alexandra Goldburt, however (un)fortunately I have not yet been asked to translate something about the use of v1agra by people who have used pen1s enlargers Keep sifting through the spam.

My current issue is with agencies who pay late (in France, 60 days is good to average and 90 days
... See more
Hey - Bohy and Nathalie White are really lucky to have customers who keep contacting them to insist they take work. I sympathise with Alexandra Goldburt, however (un)fortunately I have not yet been asked to translate something about the use of v1agra by people who have used pen1s enlargers Keep sifting through the spam.

My current issue is with agencies who pay late (in France, 60 days is good to average and 90 days not unusual) and in one case who aren't paying at all (invoices still outstanding since March, April...) and who now appear to be bankrupt. I think I'll suggest a poll on this.
Collapse

Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to French
+ ...
If only... Nov 12, 2008

Hey - Bohy and Nathalie White are really lucky to have customers who keep contacting them to insist they take work.

Hi there Simon,

if only that was the case! Unfortunately, nobody is (yet, I hope) insisting on me to take on work. I actually meant that I keep being contacted on Skype by hottie95 and the likes!

Nothing to do with work here(

Nat

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever treated a real client's message as spam?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »