Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How long have you been working in the language business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 14, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long have you been working in the language business?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cecilia Falk

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long have you been working in the language business?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cecilia Falk

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:48
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Am I the oldest inhabitant of this site? Nov 14, 2008

Learned Russian in RAF in 1952-53, started working as a linguist July 1953 and have been at it ever since.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:48
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Hopefully I'll get there Nov 14, 2008

Jack: Congratulations on your more than fifty years as a linguist!
Personally, I've been in the business for "only" 16 years, but I certainly have no intention of making any drastic career move, so if I'm lucky I'll make it to 50.
A great weekend to everyone!

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:48
English to Swedish
25 years Nov 14, 2008

5 years as a proof-reader/publishers reader
20 years a translator

Do I want another 25 years in the business?
I don't mind, but once I thought: If I won lots and lots of money, which translation jobs would I want to continue working on?
The answer sadly was: "None".

Best regards,
Cecilia

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:18
German to English
Congratulations, Jack - surprising how many of us are less than '10 year olds'!! Nov 14, 2008

I join my other colleagues in congratulating Jack!
I was surprised to see that about 62 % of the repsondents (with about 700 votes being cast at the time of replying) have been in the language business for less than 10 years.
I too fall in this category - though I graduated in 1981, I have been active in another industry for most of my working life. With all the uncertainties of life, I don't think I can even dare to say that I would succeed in spending as much time in the language
... See more
I join my other colleagues in congratulating Jack!
I was surprised to see that about 62 % of the repsondents (with about 700 votes being cast at the time of replying) have been in the language business for less than 10 years.
I too fall in this category - though I graduated in 1981, I have been active in another industry for most of my working life. With all the uncertainties of life, I don't think I can even dare to say that I would succeed in spending as much time in the language business as Jack has!
Regards and wishing colleagues a wonderful weekend
Venkatesh
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
25 here/congratulations Jack Nov 14, 2008

I also am surprised to see that there are many young people here.

Dear Jack,
I read you posts very often and since I registered at proz in 2003, I know you (virtually) and would like to reach my 50 years in translation like you.

Not to mention that if I'll win a lot of money, I'd like to continue to translate but only what I like.

Have a nice week end!

Edited for grammar mistake at least the one I saw:(

[Edited at 2008-11-14 1
... See more
I also am surprised to see that there are many young people here.

Dear Jack,
I read you posts very often and since I registered at proz in 2003, I know you (virtually) and would like to reach my 50 years in translation like you.

Not to mention that if I'll win a lot of money, I'd like to continue to translate but only what I like.

Have a nice week end!

Edited for grammar mistake at least the one I saw:(

[Edited at 2008-11-14 19:24 GMT]
Collapse

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
The fountain of youth? Nov 14, 2008

Perhaps Jack's 25-years-and-counting in the business are proof that languages and translation keep us young (in our hearts and minds)!

lillkakan
lillkakan
English to Swedish
only 5 years Nov 14, 2008

But I'm not so surprised at the numbers. I'm sure there are plenty of translators who originally had a different career, educated in another field etc., who just recently or semi-recently started putting their skills to use in the translation business.

After all, a great deal of translation jobs require you to not only be a skilled linguist, but also a skilled professional in the technical field in question.

Being "young" in the language business doesn't necessarily mea
... See more
But I'm not so surprised at the numbers. I'm sure there are plenty of translators who originally had a different career, educated in another field etc., who just recently or semi-recently started putting their skills to use in the translation business.

After all, a great deal of translation jobs require you to not only be a skilled linguist, but also a skilled professional in the technical field in question.

Being "young" in the language business doesn't necessarily mean you're young in age...
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
;-) Nov 14, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

Learned Russian in RAF in 1952-53, started working as a linguist July 1953 and have been at it ever since.

Dear Mr. Doughty, congratulations and never think about your age. You have to call yourself not the oldest, but the most experienced one, and I think, one of the most respected users of this site. Let me wish you good health and still a lot of happy days ahead.

Personally me - this year is a 16th. I graduated in 1993 and started translating before, still in 1992. Uhh, I do not want to think about how old am I ;-(

Wishing to all of you a wonderful weekend ahead,
Liza

[Módosítva: 2008-11-14 16:31 GMT]

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Congratulations Jack Nov 14, 2008

Well, you may be the oldest, I started in 1984 combining translating with other work, (teaching english, International Commerce, etc). Now, I'm full time, and I really enjoy it and hope to 'kick-the-bucket' sat at my key-boards.

Nice weekend to all,
Nigel.

[Edited at 2008-11-14 16:33 GMT]

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Gosh I hadn't realised I was so old! Nov 14, 2008

Relatively speaking, of course (all in the mind, etc etc). Seriously though, I am surprised to see that we oldies (>20 years at it one way or another, let's not go into exact details!) are such a minority.

Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2008-11-14 18:07 GMT]

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Nov 14, 2008

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Relatively speaking, of course (all in the mind, etc etc). Seriously though, I am surprised to see that we oldies (>20 years at it one way or another, let's not go into exact details!) are such a minority.

Perhaps there's a technology bias? My guess is that the older we get, the less tech-savvy we are, so that may account for the differences....

Greetings

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
German to English
+ ...
I'm only a few years behind you, Jack :-) Nov 14, 2008

Starting out as a bilingual secretary, etc. etc.

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:18
German to English
I was in a different field - and I hope translation keeps one young at heart! Nov 15, 2008

lillkakan wrote:

Being "young" in the language business doesn't necessarily mean you're young in age...

As already mentioned yesterday, I am one of those who was in a different profession before I thought of working as free lance translator. As lillkakan says, there are perhaps many who've been working in other fields before they joined the language business and hence are relatively 'young in it, contributing significantly to the apparent youthfulness of the Prz community.

I too hope, that translation would keep one young at heart and spirit - it certianly seems to have done so for Jack!

Regards
Venkatesh

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm also not too far behind, Jack! Nov 15, 2008

Didn't we have a similar poll not too long ago? I remember coming clean at the time.

I just now checked my c.v. and realized that I actually started in 1963. Ouch! I thought it was later. So I guess I've been at it for 45 years...

I was working in the secretariat of the Organization of American States and had already done some occasional translating. I took a test to fill a vacancy for English editor and got the job. Instead of being asked to edit, my first assignment
... See more
Didn't we have a similar poll not too long ago? I remember coming clean at the time.

I just now checked my c.v. and realized that I actually started in 1963. Ouch! I thought it was later. So I guess I've been at it for 45 years...

I was working in the secretariat of the Organization of American States and had already done some occasional translating. I took a test to fill a vacancy for English editor and got the job. Instead of being asked to edit, my first assignment was to translate a 300-page book - and I've been translating without interruption ever since.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long have you been working in the language business?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »