Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How much time do you spend outdoors on a normal working day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
French to English
Not enough Nov 18, 2008

I take my dog out for a brisk walk every morning (roughly 30 minutes)
I then generally have a full eight-hour working day, except on Wednesdays, when my youngest child is at home (No school on Wednesdays in France).
Occasionally, I manage to nip out to the post office and stuff like that, but I rarely get out before dark at this time of year. The days are very short and it's not really surprising.
In spring and summer, I get out more often. I often eat on our patio. I often wal
... See more
I take my dog out for a brisk walk every morning (roughly 30 minutes)
I then generally have a full eight-hour working day, except on Wednesdays, when my youngest child is at home (No school on Wednesdays in France).
Occasionally, I manage to nip out to the post office and stuff like that, but I rarely get out before dark at this time of year. The days are very short and it's not really surprising.
In spring and summer, I get out more often. I often eat on our patio. I often walk the dog twice a day if I can and of course at the weekend I'm outdoors as much as possible.
I find it essential to get as much fresh air as possible. I always work much better afterwards and it stops me getting headaches and colds.
The lack of light in winter can also be very depressing if you don't get out and about!
Collapse

Karin Usher
Karin Usher
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I wish I was there... Nov 18, 2008

Richard Jenkins wrote:

I don't go out much during the day, I dare not.

I live in the tropics where the the humidity during the day can reach as high as 80%. It's impossible to work professionally in those sorts of conditions without a properly air-conditioned office. The windows and doors need to firmly shut to keep the cold air in and to keep the hot air out; it's the only way to do professional translation work. Trust me, I've tried sitting in an airy room, on the veranda with fan's whirring, etc...

The best times to go out are either early in the morning, before about 09:30 or later on in the evening when it gets dark. However, it can often be swelteringly humid until late at night, even into the early hours. It's indescribable.

Luckily, the rainy season is nearly upon us. From January we get about 3 months of torrential downpours and the weather cools downs quite a bit. Oh Heaven to my English bones....roll on January.

I am originally from Brazil and I MISS IT SOOOOOO MUCH... I miss the hot and humid weather... I miss the summer rains.... thunder... walking on the beach without any shoes... aaaahhhhhhh QUE SAUDADES!

I do live in an island, but right in the middle of it - as far away from the sea as I can be.

I don't go out much during the week as the weather here is very rarely nice, especially now that it is dark by 4:30pm. I go out when I have to, like going to the bank or supermarket.

During the weekends is a different thing as I have young children, so we go out to the parks, swimming or whatever they fancy. I forget that work exists on weekends!

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
Lol yeah Nov 20, 2008

Yeah maybe I should get a dog, so I will have to go outside more...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How much time do you spend outdoors on a normal working day?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »