Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:45
German to Polish
+ ...
Throw-away society? Not at all! Dec 5, 2008

I worked on a 3 years old laptop, which I still use when I am away and for some specyfic translations (literacy). I simply had to switch to a powerfull PC because of the assigments I have recently been offered to do. Just try to work on a 250 MB file in Trados TagE with a TM of 750000 units and a TB of several hunderds of terms, or try to converse really big DTP/graphic files. Time is money - I do not want to notice that my machine is "working".

Furthermore the Internet gets more an
... See more
I worked on a 3 years old laptop, which I still use when I am away and for some specyfic translations (literacy). I simply had to switch to a powerfull PC because of the assigments I have recently been offered to do. Just try to work on a 250 MB file in Trados TagE with a TM of 750000 units and a TB of several hunderds of terms, or try to converse really big DTP/graphic files. Time is money - I do not want to notice that my machine is "working".

Furthermore the Internet gets more and more hardware-consuming. Just look how mutch RAM-memory is taken by your browser...

Most of us spend quite a lot time at a computer. We change our hardware like the taxi drivers their cars. The machines MUST simply be reliable and as comfortable to use as possible.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:45
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
i'd love to get a newer model Dec 5, 2008

but this one's about 5 years old and is great...i've been using it and i love it! it was given to me by my ex when he got a new computer.

Bea Geenen
Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
One year... but plenty of add-ons already Dec 5, 2008

I bought my dual core 1 GB RAM laptop a year ago. In the beginning, I was not too happy with it - it had Vista preinstalled, which took a while to get used to, and with 1 GB RAM it ran really slowly. So I've added another 2 GB RAM, an ergonomic keyboard, a 250 GB external hard disk and plenty of other goodies, so now it runs perfectly!
Luckily, I live in a country where this is all very cheap , namely China - the ultimate IT shopping paradise! And as I consider it to be an investment in my
... See more
I bought my dual core 1 GB RAM laptop a year ago. In the beginning, I was not too happy with it - it had Vista preinstalled, which took a while to get used to, and with 1 GB RAM it ran really slowly. So I've added another 2 GB RAM, an ergonomic keyboard, a 250 GB external hard disk and plenty of other goodies, so now it runs perfectly!
Luckily, I live in a country where this is all very cheap , namely China - the ultimate IT shopping paradise! And as I consider it to be an investment in my livelihood, every penny is well worth spending!
Collapse

Rachel Mackay
Rachel Mackay  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
French to English
+ ...
Less than 6 months' Dec 5, 2008

About a month ago my 18-month old laptop failed to reboot (thankfully everything had been backed up that morning) and the tech guys told me it would have to be sent away to the manufacturers to be repaired which meant being without a PC for 2 weeks.
Sod's law, this happened on a Friday which meant that the free temporary replacement PC they could give me wouldn't be delivered to me until the following Monday afternoon, and so, with deadlines pending, I had to buy a brand new laptop that sa
... See more
About a month ago my 18-month old laptop failed to reboot (thankfully everything had been backed up that morning) and the tech guys told me it would have to be sent away to the manufacturers to be repaired which meant being without a PC for 2 weeks.
Sod's law, this happened on a Friday which meant that the free temporary replacement PC they could give me wouldn't be delivered to me until the following Monday afternoon, and so, with deadlines pending, I had to buy a brand new laptop that same day otherwise I would have had to have let clients down.
At least now, with the previous laptop repaired, I have a good back-up computer should this sort of thing happen again.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I have 2 USB hubs Dec 5, 2008

Simon Cole wrote:

I bought a 7-port USB 2 hub for 35 euros - great value as it gives my laptop a total of 10 USB ports. Marie Helene should get one, although her machine may not handle USB 2 speeds.

.... But my external hard disk doesn't like them

Marga Demmers (X)
Marga Demmers (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
It's Mac for me too! Dec 5, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

I switched to Mac last December, a nice little white MacBook that I adore, and I expect I'll have it for quite some time to come.

Two months ago my computer broke down and as I was already so fed up with Microsoft I got myself 'a nice litte white MacBook'. And I adore it too! It just works, great!

The only setback is that my CD-ROMs of dictionaries weren't 'Mac-proof'. So I had the old one repaired (new hard disk) and it is now serving as a multi-lingual dictionary. No waste there...

Cheers,
Marga

Barbara Cattaneo
Barbara Cattaneo
English to Italian
+ ...
laptop is brand new but .... Dec 5, 2008

I have just bought a new laptop (old one was jurassic) but my main pc is over 7 years now. And all USBs are in the back and I cannot use microphones or a webcam on it because the audio thing is broken. But I love it, it just keeps working in any condition. And my printer is even older and secondhand (I guess more than 10 years) but requires cheap ink cartridges.
What I do is to recycle old PCs to friends with small kids, who can use them without fear to break some very expensive mum & dad
... See more
I have just bought a new laptop (old one was jurassic) but my main pc is over 7 years now. And all USBs are in the back and I cannot use microphones or a webcam on it because the audio thing is broken. But I love it, it just keeps working in any condition. And my printer is even older and secondhand (I guess more than 10 years) but requires cheap ink cartridges.
What I do is to recycle old PCs to friends with small kids, who can use them without fear to break some very expensive mum & dad tools.
Collapse

Lydia Foster
Lydia Foster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another PC user bites the Mac.. Dec 5, 2008

I have a Desktop Dell PC which has been fine for the last 2 years (although it aches every so often with the quantity of RAM-intensive software) but I find it extremely comfortable for working everyday.

However, since I'm planning to take an extended trip to NZ in March, I thought that a laptop would mean that I could work while I'm away from home.

Checked out several different small laptops (looking for 13") as wasn't planning of making it my main tool, but rather a
... See more
I have a Desktop Dell PC which has been fine for the last 2 years (although it aches every so often with the quantity of RAM-intensive software) but I find it extremely comfortable for working everyday.

However, since I'm planning to take an extended trip to NZ in March, I thought that a laptop would mean that I could work while I'm away from home.

Checked out several different small laptops (looking for 13") as wasn't planning of making it my main tool, but rather a backup plan (and so my husband can surf the web while sitting on the sofa). Debated between an Asus and a Dell initially, but yesterday I came across a really good offer on a new version MacBook with the same characteristics as I had been looking at, and hence was instantly sold!

So here I am now, installing software (I'm going to try out the OpenOffice-OmegaT combination at first as I have SDL Trados 2007 installed on my PC) and configuring my brand new MacBook!

If anyone has good suggestions on what software is essential for translating on a Mac, I'm open to suggestions!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How old is your newest computer?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »