Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When I'm working, I need a break every...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 12, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I'm working, I need a break every...".

This poll was originally submitted by Katrien De Clercq

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new p
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I'm working, I need a break every...".

This poll was originally submitted by Katrien De Clercq

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:16
French to English
+ ...
Translating versus Proofreading or Editing Dec 12, 2008

I can go much longer translating without a break than when editing or proofreading. With the latter, I invariably need a break at least every hour whereas with the former I can go for two or three hours at once without seeing time fly by.

A break does not necessarily have to be very long; just a few minutes to ensure that my concentration is full on when I turn back to the text at hand.

Best,
Jocelyne

María Leticia Cazeneuve
María Leticia Cazeneuve  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fifteen minutes? :D Dec 12, 2008

Ok, every hour will do...

Have a nice weekend!

Miet Ooms
Miet Ooms
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
Rest of the day Dec 12, 2008

I take a break when I feel I need to, or when I have to take the kids to or from school.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:16
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hard telling. Dec 12, 2008

Whenever I am stuck.

Other than that, I need regular breaks because my eyes are making problems. At times this can be every two hours, at times I can work six hours straight. It's unpredictable.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Who's counting??? Dec 12, 2008

As Jocelyne says, it really depends what I'm doing. With some of the complex revisions I do I need a break every 10 minutes, with some translations I can go several hours without a break, some days I'm just not in the mood and I can procrastinate in a hundred different ways (like here, for example, although I've stopped working for the day now): in short, "other".

[Edited at 2008-12-12 20:22 GMT]

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:16
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
same here Dec 12, 2008

it varies...but i find that when i get very focused, i just completely forget what's going on, especially with rush jobs and looming deadlines. But once my neck or back start to really bother me, or I can't concentrate because I'm hungry...then it's time to take a break!

and like now...i've been in front of the screen all day. I'm going to the gym!!!

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
it depends Dec 12, 2008

on the subject and the deadline: when the deadline is very tight, I don't need a break, I don't feel anything, even if it's boring material. But when I have lots of time and the subject's boring, I get hungry, my neck and my bottom hurt, I really need to take a break every 'two seconds'.

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Every two hours Dec 12, 2008

It varies quite a lot, as others have said. I think I can go for three hours without a break, but if I'm trying to pace myself for a longer period of work, a short break every two hours is a good rhythm.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A difference between translating and editing Dec 13, 2008

J S wrote:

I can go much longer translating without a break than when editing or proofreading. With the latter, I invariably need a break at least every hour whereas with the former I can go for two or three hours at once without seeing time fly by.

Jocelyne

I feel the same. I find that my concentration capacity needs to be far higher for revision than for (earlier phases of) translation, so although I could maybe translate for 8 hours in a day, I rarely commit to more than 5 hours a day for editing.

I also take more breaks when editing. I suppose it's becuase the actual rounds in a text are less for editing. A translation might typically take 5-7 rounds (first, second, third draft, screen read through x 1 or 2, print-read, final corrections), whereas editing is usually 2-3 rounds (a first and second round, a print read, and a final edit).

All in all, I take frequent breaks earlier on in the day, and as the day advances, I get more focused (often there are fewer interruptions later in the day) and work at longer stretches.

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
Translating/proofreading Dec 13, 2008

The same here.
When translating I may need very short breaks, just to get up.
When proofreading or editing I may need to do a job in portions, alternating it with translation jobs or other longer breaks.

I can often work till about 2 pm without any breaks (first half of the day is far more productive time for me - I can even finish all daily volume till this time), but after that I work slower and need more and longer breaks.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:16
Member (2004)
English to Italian
you should have a break every hour... Dec 13, 2008

it's bad for your eyes, your posture, your arms and wrists...

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Disappointed.... Dec 13, 2008

....that "every five minutes" was not an option in this poll.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Define a break Dec 13, 2008

Stopping to visit the bathroom, do some household chore or other, go to bank, walk dogs... as MH says - who's counting?
Though I must admit some jobs are less captivating than others, so procrastination creeps in - which reminds me -does answering proz polls or kudoz queries count as a break too?

lillkakan
lillkakan
English to Swedish
Irregularly Dec 14, 2008

I have no fixed scheme. I break when I feel the need to. If it happens every 10 minutes or every 4 hours depends on the task, my mood and external reasons of all kinds. Some people love to tell others what they should do or dictate when someone has to take a break, but it's really up to the individual. We're all grown up, independent people (or so one has to assume anyway). Part of the reason I'm a freelancer is that I can decide for myself when I take breaks, how long lunc... See more
I have no fixed scheme. I break when I feel the need to. If it happens every 10 minutes or every 4 hours depends on the task, my mood and external reasons of all kinds. Some people love to tell others what they should do or dictate when someone has to take a break, but it's really up to the individual. We're all grown up, independent people (or so one has to assume anyway). Part of the reason I'm a freelancer is that I can decide for myself when I take breaks, how long lunches I take, when I quit, when I start... I really dislike the way certain people like to impose on others what they "should" do.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I'm working, I need a break every...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »