Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How does the amount of words you translate per hour in the morning compare to the rest of the day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's the morning or it's mañana Jan 23, 2009

It's not that I see myself as such a morning person, although I was up at 6:30 today, it´s just that Spanish lunches tend to be somewhat heavy and once I've had one I'm really only good for, you guessed it... A Spanish siesta!!

Once that's over and the kids are picked up from school, I'm probably only good for another hour or two maximum. I realized a long time ago that if it doesn't get done in the morning, it probably won't get done until...mañana....
See more
It's not that I see myself as such a morning person, although I was up at 6:30 today, it´s just that Spanish lunches tend to be somewhat heavy and once I've had one I'm really only good for, you guessed it... A Spanish siesta!!

Once that's over and the kids are picked up from school, I'm probably only good for another hour or two maximum. I realized a long time ago that if it doesn't get done in the morning, it probably won't get done until...mañana.
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Morning is better Jan 23, 2009

I usually get started between 6.00 and 7.00 am. Quantity may be more or less the same, but quality is better in the early morning.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 15:10
English to Greek
+ ...
Morning work Jan 23, 2009

When I wake up at 7 and start working at 7:30, it is amazing how fast I can work. There are days when I finish all the day's work by noon. On the other hand, when I wake up, say, at 9, it is highly likely that midnight will find me still working on the same piece of work!
The problem is that, especially at winter, I hate getting up early...

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:10
Russian to English
+ ...
60-75% of translation work done between 10 and 1 Jan 23, 2009

I tend to do between a half and three quarters of my daily workload in the three hours between 10am and 1pm.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Early bird Jan 23, 2009

In my case, I translate quickest first thing in the morning (or what some might term the middle of the night!).

I start at 4-5 a.m. every day - long before anyone else in the house gets up - depending on what I have on my plate.

When I practised as a lawyer, I was always at the office by 6 a.m., dictating for secretaries before having to go to court, meetings and before the dreaded phones started to ring, and I still wake up automatically before 4 am anyhow, even thoug
... See more
In my case, I translate quickest first thing in the morning (or what some might term the middle of the night!).

I start at 4-5 a.m. every day - long before anyone else in the house gets up - depending on what I have on my plate.

When I practised as a lawyer, I was always at the office by 6 a.m., dictating for secretaries before having to go to court, meetings and before the dreaded phones started to ring, and I still wake up automatically before 4 am anyhow, even though it's now seven years since I had to go into the office. So I might as well use the time productively.

Means I have the late afternoons/evenings off to do as I want, so suits me.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Missing option: Jan 23, 2009

Leif Karlsson wrote:

What is this before noon I keep hearing about?

I think it's the name of an REM cycle. Or, if you are sick or something and thus awake, it is time for heavy procrastinating, reclining, dozing, etc.

On the other hand, 15:00-20:00 are quite productive hours and anywhere between 22:00 and 04:00 is a time for ultrasonic translation speed, highly accurate terminology choice and a spelling-bee championship

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
Afternoons Jan 23, 2009

About 25% of daily output is before lunch (13h00), the rest before 19h00.
Mornings just seem made for walking the dogs, the postman, the phone (work?) and all those other little jobs that "will only take 5 minutes". Afternoons are more focussed and go better. Even when the children come home from school I can still stay focussed, despite my desk being in the living room about 4m from the TV.
Even when I did a "regular job", I knew my best working time was after midday, so I did m
... See more
About 25% of daily output is before lunch (13h00), the rest before 19h00.
Mornings just seem made for walking the dogs, the postman, the phone (work?) and all those other little jobs that "will only take 5 minutes". Afternoons are more focussed and go better. Even when the children come home from school I can still stay focussed, despite my desk being in the living room about 4m from the TV.
Even when I did a "regular job", I knew my best working time was after midday, so I did meetings, calls and other stuff in the morning if possible. My best working window is about 15h00 to 22h00 or later, or would be if I was on my own!
Collapse

SYLVY75
SYLVY75  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a morning person Jan 23, 2009

I tend to work mostly in the afternoon/evening and sometimes at night, when my husband and child are asleep and I can have a bit of peace and quiet. Moreover, I'm not a morning person and it takes me a couple of coffees before my brain really kicks into gear for the day.

This doesn't mean I'm lazy or anything, I just need a lot of concentration and working late is the best way to achieve it.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Six of one and half a dozen of the other Jan 23, 2009

And it should be "number of words," not "amount."

Amount = the total, aggregate or sum of a number of items, numbers or material (in this case, words).

As for the poll query, I find I am usually more alert and productive in the morning (especially now that I no longer get hangovers, having stopped drinking) although I often work late into the night and get a sort of "second wind" - so the only trouble is switching off after these late night stints.

Sara M
Sara M  Identity Verified
Spanish to French
+ ...
my paradox Jan 23, 2009

I work much better and faster between 8 am and lunch, but it's really hard for me to get up early...
Once I am awake, everything is fine, but I am able to turn off the alarm-clock several times in order to get more sleep...It's crazy.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:10
English to French
+ ...
Well, well - night owls! Jan 23, 2009

Night owls, count me in!

I am most productive in the evening and at night. I don't think it has to do with the time of day, though. I think it has to do with the calm - no phone ringing, no kids crying, no partner craving attention... Also, at night, you have been awake just long enough that your brain is fully awake (this does depend on what time you get up in the morning - I haven't heard the rooster's call in a long time).

I answered that my output is the same. Just
... See more
Night owls, count me in!

I am most productive in the evening and at night. I don't think it has to do with the time of day, though. I think it has to do with the calm - no phone ringing, no kids crying, no partner craving attention... Also, at night, you have been awake just long enough that your brain is fully awake (this does depend on what time you get up in the morning - I haven't heard the rooster's call in a long time).

I answered that my output is the same. Just after my partner leaves for work, I can concentrate pretty well (especially if I've had my cuppa and something to eat half an hour earlier) - but I somehow find that I am easily distracted during the first two hours of work. It's as though my body was telling me that I don't feel like working just yet, and that I need to do something fun first. These days, that something fun is early spring cleaning and organizing spots of the house that tend to clutter up too quickly. So, although my mind seems to be very sharp in the morning (productivity boost), my body doesn't want to follow it (productivity decrease). It like running ten minutes and stopping ten minutes versus walking for twenty minutes...
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
night owls of the world unight! Jan 23, 2009

the poll should be more like, do you work best in morning or night? are you an early bird or night owl?

it seems to be about even here, about half of us are early birds the other are night owls.

I find it much easier to work late on a rush job or a euro-deadlne job than to get up at some grisly hour...whatever hour we work best is best for us.

Last week I had to get up at 6 to take a family member to a medical appointment at 8 on a freezing windy day and
... See more
the poll should be more like, do you work best in morning or night? are you an early bird or night owl?

it seems to be about even here, about half of us are early birds the other are night owls.

I find it much easier to work late on a rush job or a euro-deadlne job than to get up at some grisly hour...whatever hour we work best is best for us.

Last week I had to get up at 6 to take a family member to a medical appointment at 8 on a freezing windy day and I thought, no wonder people are executed at dawn. Who wants to be alive at this hour?
Collapse

Rosa Cabral
Rosa Cabral  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here - nocturnal being Jan 23, 2009

Daniela Koleva wrote:

I wonder if there are other people like me... I am most productive and can get really focused in the evening and the night. I was like this even at school. When I had to write an assay I would always leave it for late evening (after 10 pm).

In the morning I'm still sleeping and I need at least couple of hours till I'm completely awake and able to work... Then in the afternoon I get easily distracted... And when the clock strikes 8 pm I can start working absolutely focused.

Of course if I have a rush job (sometimes clients want their translation done the same day or even in a couple of hours) I get organized pretty fast, but if I'm let on my own I would prefer to work in the evening/night.

I guess I'm just a night owl....

I agree. I like working out, getting appointments taken care of, invoicing, organizing and "busy work" during the day and prefer translating in the evening when all is quiet around me. I can complete in 3 hours what would take me double that during the day! Naturally, it usually is not the case as due to family constraints must work around their schedules and not my strange biological clock!

Stephen Old
Stephen Old  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
German to English
Genetic markers for "larks" and "owls" Jan 25, 2009

I definitely work better in the mornings, once I have had a couple of mugs of strong tea and am properly awake! My wife, my elder son and my best friend, however, all work much better at, and even through the night. There was an interesting item on a news magazine-type TV program recently in which a doctor said that researchers have now found genetic markers which indicate whether a person is a "lark" or an "owl". When people who think they are "larks" undergo the test for this marker they m... See more
I definitely work better in the mornings, once I have had a couple of mugs of strong tea and am properly awake! My wife, my elder son and my best friend, however, all work much better at, and even through the night. There was an interesting item on a news magazine-type TV program recently in which a doctor said that researchers have now found genetic markers which indicate whether a person is a "lark" or an "owl". When people who think they are "larks" undergo the test for this marker they may find that they are really "owls" and vice versa.Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
But it may well depend... Jan 25, 2009

Stephen Old wrote:
There was an interesting item on a news magazine-type TV program recently in which a doctor said that researchers have now found genetic markers which indicate whether a person is a "lark" or an "owl". When people who think they are "larks" undergo the test for this marker they may find that they are really "owls" and vice versa.

... on what time of the day they take the test

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How does the amount of words you translate per hour in the morning compare to the rest of the day?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »