Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Professionally, what motivates you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 27, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Professionally, what motivates you?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:11
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
It's a mixture of all. Jan 27, 2009

To me it's a mixture of all three, making as a whole. Additionally, love of the languages.

Maria Melnik
Maria Melnik  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:11
English to French
Other: recognition from readers Jan 27, 2009

When I translate fiction the most important people for me are future readers. Their enjoyment is my primary motivation. I "follow" every book I have translated for years, I check on the Internet and ask the publishers about readers reviews, profesional reviews, sales etc. When you translate a book, it is not just a project, it is always personal .

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:11
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not so difficult Jan 27, 2009

The content of a job does not matter, the amount of money it pays or the perks it brings with it. But money first. I don't mind being a garbage collector as long as this would be me at least a Eurocratic salary.
2.Recognition: in second place.

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
English to French
A combination also... Jan 27, 2009

...plus the fact that I don't have to go out every morning for work))

[Modifié le 2009-01-27 18:10 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A bit from all Jan 27, 2009

so one answer possibility is definitely missing.

Mónica Belén Colacilli
Mónica Belén Colacilli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:11
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Being well-paid and recognition by clients go hand in hand Jan 27, 2009

In my opinion, being well-paid is only a great motivation when working (comfortable) for nice clients, those who recognize your job. Otherwise, I don't feel motivated. No doubt it's also motivating being recognized by colleagues. And also, being able to cooperate with a colleague who needs help, or being able to help when a non-profit organization or someone needs from our services for a good cause at no cost. I thank God for my profession, which I love and really enjoy.

[Editado a las 20
... See more
In my opinion, being well-paid is only a great motivation when working (comfortable) for nice clients, those who recognize your job. Otherwise, I don't feel motivated. No doubt it's also motivating being recognized by colleagues. And also, being able to cooperate with a colleague who needs help, or being able to help when a non-profit organization or someone needs from our services for a good cause at no cost. I thank God for my profession, which I love and really enjoy.

[Editado a las 2009-01-27 19:41 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
A combination Jan 27, 2009

Like several of you, I am motivated by several factors. Being well-paid is certainly nice, but it isn't my sole motivation. I am more driven by client satisfaction, among other things.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice question Jan 27, 2009

I agree with others that it’s really a combination of things, but my number one answer would have to be the money.

I’ve managed to keep a family of five afloat for the last 10 years (in one of the most expensive cities in Spain) based on translation work.

The day I can´t do that will be the day I close shop and find some other way to earn an income.

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Difficult to decide on only one answer... Jan 27, 2009

Like many of you, I think it's a combination of all the aspects. And I truly believe that most translators' main motivation is not money (or am I being naive here?). Although, of course, I also have to earn my living (and that of my children) without having a husband to provide for us.

The love of languages is a main driving factor for this profession in my opinion. And then it makes you proud to be well-paid as a recognition of the client.

bookwormkt
bookwormkt
Local time: 08:11
French to English
+ ...
Other - a combination of factors. Jan 27, 2009

Amongst which is satisfaction that
I have enabled someone to understand what has been written or said in another language.
I have enables someone to communicate ideas/exchange ideas with someone who does not speak their language.
Being paid would be nice....but I have only just started translation/interpreting for money, after years of doing it for family and friends free of charge.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Business is business! Jan 27, 2009

My motto is "Make good money and keep clients coming back!"

Of course, I would love it if I could work only in my favorite field (i.e., psychology), but money comes first, so I often have to pass some lovely projects to a reliable colleague.

Now, IF I WON THE LOTTERY... I would translate for free for psychology students and psychoanalysts
... See more
My motto is "Make good money and keep clients coming back!"

Of course, I would love it if I could work only in my favorite field (i.e., psychology), but money comes first, so I often have to pass some lovely projects to a reliable colleague.

Now, IF I WON THE LOTTERY... I would translate for free for psychology students and psychoanalysts!!!

Have a nice day, guys.
Collapse

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:11
English to Latvian
other: loving my job Jan 27, 2009

Apart from being well-paid and getting recognition from clients, which are, of course, very important factors and play a significant role to me, the main motivating factor is the fact that I am deeply 'in love' with my job. It combines everything I ever wanted from my ideal job, so I am happy I have found the right job for me that I am satisfied with to the maximum.

Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Turchetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
I like it! Jan 27, 2009

Of course all the answers play a role but what really motivates me is that I love doing this job. I like it when I have a new text and I am the one who can make other people understand it. It's great!
Unfortunately it's not always well-paid...but what if I had to get up early every morning and leave home to do a job I don't like?

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I picked "other" Jan 27, 2009

I love the idea of making something accessible to people who otherwise wouldn't be able to understand it. Also love working with words, ideas, concepts...

As a job, the thing I like best about being a freelancer is that I can live anywhere in the world as long as I have my laptop (Mac) and a broadband internet connection. To me, this really spells F R E E D O M.

And the money isn't bad, either.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Professionally, what motivates you?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »