Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many functional computers assigned to translation do you have at home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 16, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many functional computers assigned to translation do you have at home?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alejandro Moreno-Ramos

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many functional computers assigned to translation do you have at home?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alejandro Moreno-Ramos

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
2 Feb 16, 2009

I have my main box in my office, plus a laptop I can take anywhere.
I have other computers in the house I can use, in an emergency, but have not, so far, needed to use.
Of course, since I use Linux, there are never any problems (no virus, no crash, no security breach, no software failure...ever) with my computer...but, just in case there is a hardware failure, or something...one never knows.
There was a third, but since the Mrs. left and took that one with her, it is no longer
... See more
I have my main box in my office, plus a laptop I can take anywhere.
I have other computers in the house I can use, in an emergency, but have not, so far, needed to use.
Of course, since I use Linux, there are never any problems (no virus, no crash, no security breach, no software failure...ever) with my computer...but, just in case there is a hardware failure, or something...one never knows.
There was a third, but since the Mrs. left and took that one with her, it is no longer here.
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:18
German to French
+ ...
1 Feb 16, 2009

I'm curious what "none" means! I see some did chose that anwser.

Do some of us work with no computer at all? Or do those answerers mean that their computer is not dedicated fully and only to translation?

In the second case, maybe I should have chosen that answer, for I have only one computer that I use both for work and private use.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None Feb 16, 2009

I'm trying very hard not to have access to work at home (occasionally give way and take home a laptop with USB modem). Otherwise my children would never get their mother's attention at all.

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
@ Sophie + Curious Feb 16, 2009

Sophie, in response to your question about those who do not have a computer dedicated to translation at home, I presume that they work in-house, although I imagine that most people who work in-house also have a home computer on which they work occasionally.

I'm more curious about those who have four, five, or more computers 'assigned to translation' at home: why? Does each machine have its own specialty or software? Are they all in the same room or do you have various offices throug
... See more
Sophie, in response to your question about those who do not have a computer dedicated to translation at home, I presume that they work in-house, although I imagine that most people who work in-house also have a home computer on which they work occasionally.

I'm more curious about those who have four, five, or more computers 'assigned to translation' at home: why? Does each machine have its own specialty or software? Are they all in the same room or do you have various offices throughout the house?

I've got two functional computers with translation software installed, one more recent and the other which serves as a backup.

Best,
Jocelyne
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:18
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Quite a few Feb 16, 2009

I have an office inside my apartment - a large room which looks like, and is only used as, an office.

I have several computers assigned to translation, most of them working at the same time: a server, my desktop computer, my laptop computer, my assistant's desktop computer, and two spare laptop computers just in case something goes wrong.

The upside of this setup is that I've never missed a deadline because of computer problems; the downside is that it takes a lot of wo
... See more
I have an office inside my apartment - a large room which looks like, and is only used as, an office.

I have several computers assigned to translation, most of them working at the same time: a server, my desktop computer, my laptop computer, my assistant's desktop computer, and two spare laptop computers just in case something goes wrong.

The upside of this setup is that I've never missed a deadline because of computer problems; the downside is that it takes a lot of work to keep things up and running

Have a nice day!

Laureana
Collapse

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
2 Feb 16, 2009

A desktop and a laptop - that's just enough for me! I definitely wouldn't have just one, in case something happens with one of them it's always good to have a backup, and of course if one's a laptop that's a plus.

However, we need to get another one because I'm not too keen on letting my fiancé use my work computers That's another question - are people generally willing to let their family use their work computers?

andres-larsen
andres-larsen
Venezuela
Local time: 23:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
At home I am offline Feb 16, 2009

As I only have a prepaid phone service at home I am offline with the internet, taking my translation with me on a pendrive to and from a nearby cybercafe which has broadband connection with the internet

Elizabeth Lyons
Elizabeth Lyons  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:18
French to English
+ ...
Three computers Feb 16, 2009

I use my desktop for doing the work, I have one laptop open to view email at all times and the other laptop for doing research while I translate. This works out well and gives me plenty of backup. In addition, I back up periodically on auxiliary storage devices. I sleep better that way!

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Never! Feb 16, 2009

Catherine Shepherd wrote:

That's another question - are people generally willing to let their family use their work computers?

Absolutely not - any more than they would get to use my work computer if I worked in-house. I've heard way too many horror stories to take the risk!

Best,

Karen

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:18
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
1 + 2 Feb 16, 2009

I have one main desktop computer.
Plus I have everything I need for work on my laptop and on my wife's laptop. Each of them can be used with a big monitor and a standard keyboard if the main desktop (case) fails. They are sometimes used as a second and third screens if the work is intensive.
I have wi-fi at home, so all of them are on-line.
The folder structures and the content of hard drives are identical. Actually, I can start working on one PC and continue on any other, just
... See more
I have one main desktop computer.
Plus I have everything I need for work on my laptop and on my wife's laptop. Each of them can be used with a big monitor and a standard keyboard if the main desktop (case) fails. They are sometimes used as a second and third screens if the work is intensive.
I have wi-fi at home, so all of them are on-line.
The folder structures and the content of hard drives are identical. Actually, I can start working on one PC and continue on any other, just by moving the job (one or several files) to the other PC over the LAN of using a Flash...
Among other back-up facilities I have a second Internet hook-up (used seldom), generator and external HDD, kept in some other place...

Crazy? No! Just prepared.

But... I do not have "assigned" computers.

[Редактировалось 2009-02-16 17:56 GMT]
Collapse

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Assigned to translation" Feb 16, 2009

I have not answered the poll because I am not sure what you mean.

We have three computers at home. A PC, which is ocassionally used for translation, and two laptops: mine, which I use for both translation and for everything else, and my daughter's, on which she sometimes helps me with translation-reated work like scanning and labeling images. I prefer to use my laptop for translation because I work both at home and at the office, and I don't want to bother copying files and TM's all
... See more
I have not answered the poll because I am not sure what you mean.

We have three computers at home. A PC, which is ocassionally used for translation, and two laptops: mine, which I use for both translation and for everything else, and my daughter's, on which she sometimes helps me with translation-reated work like scanning and labeling images. I prefer to use my laptop for translation because I work both at home and at the office, and I don't want to bother copying files and TM's all the time. When I finish a job, I copy everything into the PC to have it on the two computers.

So you could say that the three computers are used for translation work, but none is assigned to translation. How should I answer the poll?
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
One... Feb 16, 2009

...MacBook laptop. What more do I need?

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:18
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Five Feb 16, 2009

1) My desktop computer
2) My wife's desktop computer
3) My notebook
4) My wife's notebook
5) An older computer with Widnows 98, to run some older software (mostly reference CDs) that would not run on newer machines.

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
4 Feb 16, 2009

My wife and myself are both freelancers, so 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many functional computers assigned to translation do you have at home?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »