https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/128602-poll%3A_do_you_usually_take_a_lunch_break.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually take a lunch break?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 26, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually take a lunch break?".

This poll was originally submitted by techwriter

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. Fo
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually take a lunch break?".

This poll was originally submitted by techwriter

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:13
French to English
+ ...
Appropriate Feb 26, 2009

This poll appeared just as I was about to break for lunch. I stop for lunch daily, although the length of my break is not consistent. I really do not like eating in front of the computer and I avoid doing so at all cost. After lunch, however, I often read the papers online before going back to work.

Bon appétit,
Jocelyne

[Edited at 2009-02-27 07:54 GMT]

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, at least 3 times a week Feb 26, 2009

I take a real break at least 3 times a week. On Tuesdays, I have lunch with my friends, on Thursdays I have lunch with a friend from my last job and on Fridays, I have lunch with my cousin. So these 3 days, it becomes mandatory that I take a lunch break.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, I take a break at least from working. Some days, I go and see my kids and others (if it is too late) I hook on the Facebook or read the online news.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:13
German to English
+ ...
All a matter of definition Feb 26, 2009

What most people call lunch is often breakfast for me. I prefer a different rhythm which allows me to do the serious work after most of my European customers have gone home and are asleep.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Family commitments Feb 26, 2009

I have little doubt that if I didn't have family commitments, the lunch break would disappear on occasions, but even so, taking a break is so important every so often, plus mens sana in corpore sana.... Difficult to concentrate right now with my stomach rumbling away anyway!

Claudia Salamone (X)
Claudia Salamone (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
of course! Feb 26, 2009

...Sometimes I may not sleep because of work...but eating...?!?
I have to take my breaks! Lunch, dinner, breakfast, midnight snack

newwaysolutions
newwaysolutions
Argentina
Local time: 19:13
English to Spanish
Of course!! Feb 26, 2009

And I mean, I good lunch. Not a small sandwich in front of my PC ... It is crucial!

Maartje Giebels
Maartje Giebels  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Definitely!!! Feb 26, 2009

But only because I have 2 kids and they want to eat lunch. If not, I would probably take the same schedule as Kevin, because I'm realy an evening person.

Love,
Maartje

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:13
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Feb 26, 2009

I like to wake up early, work hard and after 3 hours I take a lunch break, while walking and refreshing my mind.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:13
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Of course! Lunch break plus "siesta"! Feb 26, 2009

I always take a 20 minutes nap after a good 3-course lunch.

If I wouldn´t do it, I would fell guilty. What are the tropics for?

Philip Taylor
Philip Taylor  Identity Verified
French to English
Lunch is for wimps! Feb 26, 2009

...as a wise man once said.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
yes, but really short Feb 26, 2009

Well, I usually have a break, but its duration is absolutely short, max. 5 mins

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Lunch is for restoring blood sugar in the caffeine-stream :-D Feb 26, 2009

My brain needs caffeine to function, but not pure caffeine. By lunchtime the breakfast carbohydrates have been burnt off, and I'm getting wimpish, grumpy and un-creative, while my brain is swimming in coffee!

Actually, sugary foods are a bad idea for me. I go for sugar-free whole grain cereals for breakfast and solid Danish rye-bread for lunch. With fruit and cheese or yoghurt, occasionally a scrambled egg if the ones in the fridge need eating.

Then I read the snail mai
... See more
My brain needs caffeine to function, but not pure caffeine. By lunchtime the breakfast carbohydrates have been burnt off, and I'm getting wimpish, grumpy and un-creative, while my brain is swimming in coffee!

Actually, sugary foods are a bad idea for me. I go for sugar-free whole grain cereals for breakfast and solid Danish rye-bread for lunch. With fruit and cheese or yoghurt, occasionally a scrambled egg if the ones in the fridge need eating.

Then I read the snail mail if it has arrived, or the newspaper, or surf about regular sites like this one or on-line periodicals for as long as I dare, bearing my current deadline in mind. Anything up to half an hour.

I ought to get some exercise, but tend to put it off until late afternoon. Especially now that the days at these lattitudes are nearly four hours longer than at the winter solstice! So it's light until PMs go home and I need not feel guilty about not answering the phone

I'm an afternoon and evening person too. After lunch I get down to the serious work of the day!
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
As long as possible - of course Feb 26, 2009

I want to be refreshed for the afternoon-shift. I like to prepare good food, even cooking although I have no children.
Normally cloggies are even happy with a boterham (sandwich) at lunchtime. No fuss about eating. That is well-known.

But Gianluca just 5 minutes?!! Pazzesco.
So you are not eating at all?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The family insists on it Feb 26, 2009

Left to my own devices, I'd probably have a cup of soup at the computer, but my husband retired at the ripe old age of 47, and our son's unemployed, so there's normally someone else in the house who's hungry. At least I don't have to do the preparation, but I am expected to sit at the table for a while - no doubt a good idea.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually take a lunch break?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »