Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually take a lunch break?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:15
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Lunch break is what I like to call it Feb 26, 2009

even though it's usually around 3-4 pm. But it does involve food and a cuppa coffee, so I guess it qualifies.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:15
Member (2009)
French to English
Might as well Feb 26, 2009

I find that if I don't stop working for "lunch," I usually want to take a short break around lunchtime anyways and I might as well eat. I also don't really work well when I'm hungry.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I eat my big meal at lunch time Feb 26, 2009

When I have free time, I cook up a bunch of stuff, and freeze some of it so I always have food handy for lunch without having to stop and cook. Since I live alone, if I don't have an engrossing book to read during lunch I usually stay at the computer and watch stuff on YouTube or do some on-line shopping. I very rarely eat sandwiches for lunch - I always have a hearty meal. I eat something lighter in the evening.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Living in Spain Feb 26, 2009

... lunch is sacred!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
No Feb 26, 2009

I don't have lunch. What I do have is lunch before work. On a normal day, I work from around 11 a.m. or noon to around 7 or 8 p.m., so, lunch during working hours is pointless. Plus, I love to eat - to me, eating is about pleasure, not about nourishment. So, if I had to allow a fixed amount of time for lunch, I would not have as much pleasure because I wouldn't have time to happily fumble in my plate.

I do have snacks during my working hours to keep me going. I don't really snack wh
... See more
I don't have lunch. What I do have is lunch before work. On a normal day, I work from around 11 a.m. or noon to around 7 or 8 p.m., so, lunch during working hours is pointless. Plus, I love to eat - to me, eating is about pleasure, not about nourishment. So, if I had to allow a fixed amount of time for lunch, I would not have as much pleasure because I wouldn't have time to happily fumble in my plate.

I do have snacks during my working hours to keep me going. I don't really snack while working, but I usually snack in front of the computer anyway, reading the news, the ProZ forum or reading my personal mail. Of course, on busier days, I can't afford to do this, so I snack while I proofread, organize files, etc. Translating requires both hands, so when I have a snack, I switch to tasks that can mostly be done with the use of only one hand.
Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:15
English to Russian
+ ...
I ... Feb 26, 2009

I do. Even more than one, thanks to proximity to the kitchen area.

Alice Bootman
Alice Bootman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely Feb 26, 2009

I have to. Although I have to admit that the reason gives away how spoiled I am. I start my lunch break early to play with my kids (2 year old twins) while their nanny, who is also the maid, cooks lunch. Then, of course, we all watch the news and rest until it is time to go back to work. The typical lunch break here lasts 2 1/2 hours, but I try to only take 2. I do not miss my 30-minute-lunch-break days of corporate US at all!
If I didn't have kids or work in the house, though, I would tak
... See more
I have to. Although I have to admit that the reason gives away how spoiled I am. I start my lunch break early to play with my kids (2 year old twins) while their nanny, who is also the maid, cooks lunch. Then, of course, we all watch the news and rest until it is time to go back to work. The typical lunch break here lasts 2 1/2 hours, but I try to only take 2. I do not miss my 30-minute-lunch-break days of corporate US at all!
If I didn't have kids or work in the house, though, I would take one hour for lunch, for sure.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The concept doesn't really apply Feb 26, 2009

I eat a few meals a day. Sometimes lunch falls in the middle of my work day, and sometimes it's before or after my work day. It all depends what I'm working on and what time of day I'm working on it.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:15
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I eat brunch in front of my computer Feb 27, 2009

Like Kevin, I work when others are asleep, so by the time I get up I'm ready for lunch - and already late catching up on my e-mail and KudoZ questions, not to mention picking up my work where I left off.

I've been known to eat "breakfast" at 6:00 p.m.

The only breaks that are sacrosanct are to walk and feed my two dogs - when we get up, late afternoon, and in the evening.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
like a lot of you Feb 27, 2009

i don't have a conventional work day so lunch for me means something more like taking a break, relaxing away from the PC with something to eat when i feel hungry. To break up the work day I like to go to the gym...then i do more in the evening after dinner.

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 10:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes, why not? Feb 27, 2009

Lunches give me power to work further

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like many .... Feb 27, 2009

I eat at midday (any time between 11.30 am and 4.30 pm) I usually have a cooked snack, and then back to the 'office' room.

Nigel:)

Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Turchetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
generally yes Feb 27, 2009

When I work at home I always organize my work and take quite a long break for lunch and a little time for relaxing after lunch. I have a son and I like spending at least lunch time with him.
When I work in companies or elsewhere I prefer going on with my work and, possibly, finish earlier in the afternoon...and organize my dinner time!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually take a lunch break?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »