Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Has an outsourcer ever voluntarily offered to pay you more than you originally quoted?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 1, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Has an outsourcer ever voluntarily offered to pay you more than you originally quoted?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ulrike MacKay

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is ru
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Has an outsourcer ever voluntarily offered to pay you more than you originally quoted?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ulrike MacKay

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Dutch
+ ...
one time Apr 1, 2009

It was a short but tough translation so the customer rewarded me with a higher rate without me asking for it.
Unfortunately, it has never happened since:-)

Chris Weimar (M.A.)
Chris Weimar (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:37
English to German
+ ...
"Fair Trade" Apr 1, 2009

There are also outsourcerers who reward extra-work and pay fair. Would like to know the percentage of outsorcerers who offer "fair trade" Maybe someone should post a survey.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Twice Apr 1, 2009

The second case was for a very small job, and the outsourcer told me I was charging to little. And then when she paid me she paid me even more than that agreed rate. Still not a significant amount of money, but MUCH appreciated!

Not surprisingly, both the outsourcers who have upped their rates are translators themselves.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
LOVELY typo Apr 1, 2009

Chris Weimar (M.A.) wrote:

There are also outsourcerers who reward extra-work and pay fair. Would like to know the percentage of outsorcerers who offer "fair trade" Maybe someone should post a survey.

The second one I think should be permanently coined! This made my day Chris!

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, and many times! :) Apr 1, 2009

Especially when I make short jobs and the price results in something like US$ 8.76. Often, the client decides to pay me US$10. Other times they are willing to compensate for the charges taken away by PayPal, so they pay a bit extra. Once a client considered that I was charging him too little, so he insisted on paying more.

It's nice to have surprises like this every now and then

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It happens sometimes... Apr 1, 2009

Once a PM asked me to update a translation I had done earlier because the end client changed a couple of words. I offered to do it for free because it was really not big of a deal. He insisted on paying me the minimum hourly charge.

That was nice.

[Edited at 2009-04-01 16:13 GMT]

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
Many times Apr 1, 2009

I have received bonuses for good-quality translations, as some clients say. In othr cases, for working with really tight timeframes or even for not paying me on time.

In some cases and especially with certified translations, when my clients go to pick the job up, they tell my nephews to keep the change to "go and get an ice cream."

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Dream situation Apr 1, 2009

Once, when I expressed a certain reluctance to take a job, the outsourcer doubled (!) the rate, which was on the high side to begin with. Needless to say, this doesn't happen every month (or year).

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't know if it also counts as extra payment... Apr 1, 2009

Claudia Aguero wrote:

In some cases and especially with certified translations, when my clients go to pick the job up, they tell my nephews to keep the change to "go and get an ice cream."

Now that you mentioned this, I remember once I did have a Spanish customer (who unfortunately passed away, as he was rather old then) send me a beautiful Christmas gift basket (full of delicious things like red wine bottles, Serrano ham, etc.) after paying me immediately for a tight-deadline job which was due almost on Christmas Eve and which I delivered earlier than expected. I mean, normally I get from most clients just a regular holiday card/message, or a calendar at best, so this was a really nice surprise.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, there are good ones out there Apr 1, 2009

Contrary to what many people out there think: that in times of financial crisis prices must go down, a client of mine just raised voluntarily my editing rates for one particular regular work I do for them. It is the second time they do it.

Recently, a first-time client adjusted my rates form dollars to euros by rounding them to the latter.

Miles Crew
Miles Crew  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:37
Chinese to English
Yes Apr 1, 2009

The first job I got was for a short, simple newspaper article. It was a PDF, so there was no source word count, and I wasn't sure about rates for the final target count, so when it was done I said $20, which, in retrospect, was certainly too low, even if it wasn't an article I thought anyone would think was worth $20 to read (I've since learned that it isn't really my problem if material seems interesting or useful to me- if someone wants to pay for it, let them!) The agent made it $40.
<
... See more
The first job I got was for a short, simple newspaper article. It was a PDF, so there was no source word count, and I wasn't sure about rates for the final target count, so when it was done I said $20, which, in retrospect, was certainly too low, even if it wasn't an article I thought anyone would think was worth $20 to read (I've since learned that it isn't really my problem if material seems interesting or useful to me- if someone wants to pay for it, let them!) The agent made it $40.

[Edit after the fact- Yes, I'm so vain that I re-read my own posts- I think I've been reading too much Chinese, because that's an atrocious run-on sentence.

I also once offered a rate lower than the extremely high one quoted for a Proz.com job that I didn't think I had a very good shot at (shame on me for pushing rates down? maybe, but the rate I offered was still within the range of respectability, I thought) Not only did I get the job, much to my surprise, but the PM didn't say a word about my lower offer, which would've come out to nearly $500 less. I don't know if that was due to the kind of oversight that might happen within a larger agency or if it was a matter of sticking to the quote out of fairness, but I certainly enjoyed the extra $500 either way.

[Edited at 2009-04-01 17:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-01 17:20 GMT]
Collapse

Samira Khalid
Samira Khalid
Local time: 13:37
English to Urdu
+ ...
same here Apr 1, 2009

Jim Tucker wrote:

Once, when I expressed a certain reluctance to take a job, the outsourcer doubled (!) the rate, which was on the high side to begin with. Needless to say, this doesn't happen every month (or year).

I had a similar experience last year. Alas! Never again has any outsourcer offered to pay me higher, no matter how tough the job is.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Twice Apr 1, 2009

It does not happen too often, but it sometimes happen. Of course it's greatly appreciated. I am happy working for my price, but I am even happier working for a higher one

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2009-04-01 16:46 GMT]

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:37
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Extremely funny, made me laugh out loud Apr 1, 2009

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Chris Weimar (M.A.) wrote:

The second one I think should be permanently coined! This made my day Chris!

I wonder what Freud would have to say about this "slip of the finger"

Thanks Noni for noticing!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has an outsourcer ever voluntarily offered to pay you more than you originally quoted?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »