Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:12
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Gambling Apr 3, 2009

At least that's the primary source of adrenaline for me

In a way it is reflected in my relations with clients: I like accepting jobs with extremely tight deadlines or in areas adjacent to ones I feel comfotable with...

Can't say the experience is entirely positive but for the most part, it is.

As a pastime, it's collecting coins, writing music/songs/poems, travelling and sports during the
... See more
At least that's the primary source of adrenaline for me

In a way it is reflected in my relations with clients: I like accepting jobs with extremely tight deadlines or in areas adjacent to ones I feel comfotable with...

Can't say the experience is entirely positive but for the most part, it is.

As a pastime, it's collecting coins, writing music/songs/poems, travelling and sports during the warmer seasons.
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 05:12
Portuguese to English
Ballet for relaxation Apr 3, 2009

Cooking/baking, reading, writing, dancing (started classical ballet last yr!), films and sitting in cofee shops (if that can be considered a hobby!!).

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:12
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Other... Apr 3, 2009

Anything outside every time I can!!! Hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, camping, kayaking, walking... even driving nowhere!

I'm at my computer for way too long in a day! I need to go out as much as I can and breathe some fresh air and get grounded again!

Matthew Ward
Matthew Ward  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:12
Portuguese to English
Singing in a male voice choir Apr 3, 2009

My mother is Welsh. It's in the blood.

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Karate! Apr 3, 2009

I took it up last September and am now obsessed (I'm testing for my green belt soon). I go 4 times a week and when I can't because work is too crazy, I can feel the stress building up.
Also reading, constantly. Whatever else I'm doing at home, I always have books placed strategically so I can grab one and read a couple of pages, whichever room I'm in.
When the weather warms up, I am an enthusiastic planter of veggies and flowers, with middling to fair results. If it depended on will
... See more
I took it up last September and am now obsessed (I'm testing for my green belt soon). I go 4 times a week and when I can't because work is too crazy, I can feel the stress building up.
Also reading, constantly. Whatever else I'm doing at home, I always have books placed strategically so I can grab one and read a couple of pages, whichever room I'm in.
When the weather warms up, I am an enthusiastic planter of veggies and flowers, with middling to fair results. If it depended on will alone though, I would have the hanging gardens of Babylon in my yard.
Collapse

mdmarcl
mdmarcl
Local time: 06:12
French to Spanish
+ ...
Dancing Apr 3, 2009

I love dancing. Bellydance and flamenco are my life.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Several things... Apr 3, 2009

Tai chi and nei kung, reading, watching YouTube, walking in the rain (especially at night), cooking, and my most recent pastime (which I resisted to the hilt for ages), connecting with old and new friends on Facebook! I'm having a great time over there...I've connected with musicians who used to play in my band in New York back in the 80s, and even with one drummer I met back in the 60s! It's pretty amazing...

Oh, and listening to music on my iPod shuffle....
See more
Tai chi and nei kung, reading, watching YouTube, walking in the rain (especially at night), cooking, and my most recent pastime (which I resisted to the hilt for ages), connecting with old and new friends on Facebook! I'm having a great time over there...I've connected with musicians who used to play in my band in New York back in the 80s, and even with one drummer I met back in the 60s! It's pretty amazing...

Oh, and listening to music on my iPod shuffle.

[Edited at 2009-04-03 23:43 GMT]
Collapse

Kerstin Braun
Kerstin Braun  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
A mixture ... Apr 4, 2009

... even though I voted 'Other' as it is mainly 'other' than those listed.

- birdwatching (hello Lucia!) up to contributing to scientific projects such as bird ringing and mapping and acting as a warden on an island reserve
- environmental issues and trying to live as 'sustainably' as possible
- martial arts - judo, tai chi, qi gong (the latter being very peaceful ...)
- my three cats Sali, Tiny and Gypsy - Big Mama Sali was literally dropped on me by a friend in F
... See more
... even though I voted 'Other' as it is mainly 'other' than those listed.

- birdwatching (hello Lucia!) up to contributing to scientific projects such as bird ringing and mapping and acting as a warden on an island reserve
- environmental issues and trying to live as 'sustainably' as possible
- martial arts - judo, tai chi, qi gong (the latter being very peaceful ...)
- my three cats Sali, Tiny and Gypsy - Big Mama Sali was literally dropped on me by a friend in February last year and in May turned out to have brought another 6 kittens with her, of which I kept the girls because I just could not give them away ...

I suppose they are my most time-consuming 'hobby' because any other hobby can do without me, but my cats depend on me. And they never fail to cheer me up with their antics.

Musik is my second profession.
Collapse

ikeda45
ikeda45  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
Horse riding, absolutely! Apr 4, 2009

I began horse-riding last summer since I couldn't take my eyes off of a horse-riding club's big horse poster that was put on the train going to work.

As I've been pinned down by a tight schedule for weeks, a source of encouragement now is to enjoy riding around Tsukuba Mountain seeing full bloom cherry blossams on the mid-April!!!

[Edited at 2009-04-04 02:33 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Landscape design Apr 4, 2009

It started as a hobby, and for the last two years I've been taking courses. I'm helping to retrofit our 100-acre community here in Southern California with plants that are smarter and more sustainable. I'm big on sustainability, and I enjoy hanging out with people with similar values and goals.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:42
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Blogging in Hindi Apr 4, 2009

This is a newly acquired hobby, which is taking up quite a bit of my time. I have already put up more than 50 posts. Here is the address in case you are interested:

http://jaihindi.blogspot.com

I also have an English blog but that is skimpy at the moment. Do check it out. I have posted a new short story there called "Minister of Death". Macabre isn't it, but it is election time in I
... See more
This is a newly acquired hobby, which is taking up quite a bit of my time. I have already put up more than 50 posts. Here is the address in case you are interested:

http://jaihindi.blogspot.com

I also have an English blog but that is skimpy at the moment. Do check it out. I have posted a new short story there called "Minister of Death". Macabre isn't it, but it is election time in India and it helps to puncture the ego of netas (leaders) a bit:

http://jaihindimagazine.blogspot.com

I got attracted to blogs for various reasons. It gives you an opportunity to express yourself and to connect with likeminded people. It also has a potential of income generation, though so far I haven't earned a cent from blogging mainly because adsense doesn't support Hindi at present.

But for those of you who translate (and therefore can write) in adsense supported languages, blogging can become an important source of income with a little effort. Do explore the possibilities.

[2009-04-04 06:11 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 07:12
English to Greek
+ ...
A mixture Apr 4, 2009

Mainly, dancing and gym. I think that a sedentary job, like ours, requires physical activity in our free time, to support our physical and mental health. I also try to spend as much of my free time as possible outdoors, meeting friends. Of indoor activities, watching films is my favourite. Also, writing and reading. And, as summer is approaching, I will take my books and move them on the beach... I can't wait!

Happy weekend to everyone!

Paul Kachur
Paul Kachur
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Music Apr 4, 2009

no mention in the poll of playing or listening to music. Lately I play more than I listen, and listen mostly to learn new things to play.

I think ProZ is due for a music poll.

elodienelson (X)
elodienelson (X)
France
English to French
music is my first one Apr 4, 2009

One thing I love about working from, I can listen to music all day while working, and there's often a vinyl on my turntable. Folk, pop, rock, indie music, I just love to discover new bands or old bands (I recently discovered Wendy & Bonnie, two singers who issued a lovely piece of music back in 1969), so I read webzines and magazines related to music, and when I have the time, I write news and alb... See more
One thing I love about working from, I can listen to music all day while working, and there's often a vinyl on my turntable. Folk, pop, rock, indie music, I just love to discover new bands or old bands (I recently discovered Wendy & Bonnie, two singers who issued a lovely piece of music back in 1969), so I read webzines and magazines related to music, and when I have the time, I write news and album reviews in my boyfriend's webzine (http://www.vivalapopa.free.fr). I'm currently listening to Elvis Perkins, son of the late Antony, and his music is so so inspired...
my myspace is http://www.myspace.com/topsyturvygirl, there's an exhaustive list of what I like here, but it hasn't been updated for a while.

I also like to read novels, comic books and magazines, I like to cook, I do a bit of taï-chi everyday, go jogging once or twice a week, and spend far too much time on the Internet...
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Internet chatting Apr 4, 2009

including, but not limited to Proz.com.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My hobbies include:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »