https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/132103-poll%3A_what_is_your_monthly_cost_for_internet_connection_in_us_dollars.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is your monthly cost for Internet connection (in US dollars)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 6, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your monthly cost for Internet connection (in US dollars)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lubain Masum

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informati
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your monthly cost for Internet connection (in US dollars)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lubain Masum

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Free Apr 6, 2009

I answered "less than $10", but I actually use a free high-speed public WiFi connection that is available here. However, I also maintain a dial-up service for $15 a month because it enables me to keep my base e-mail address, remain connected when I change location where no free WiFi is available, and for infrequent occasions when for one reason or another the free WiFi is not working.

Not bad, I guess, compared to other places.

Anne Carnot
Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:21
Member (2009)
English to French
39$ Apr 6, 2009

39$, but it's a package deal that includes internet access, telephone and television...

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 08:21
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
$46 Apr 6, 2009

And I'm thinking of setting up an auxiliary DSL line just in case (I think that would run me about $26 a month total, but I haven't really checked)...

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Speed? Apr 6, 2009

Nobody is mentioning the speed/bandwidth? I'm currently paying 32$ for 192/2048 dsl connection.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
$40-$50 Apr 6, 2009

Depending on the exchange rate

The whole package deal (internet+cable+phone line) adds up to approx. $120/month.

Greetings
Andrea

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Package Apr 6, 2009

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:
Nobody is mentioning the speed/bandwidth?

My cable access to the Internet is bundled in a package that includes premium digital cable TV plus one VOIP phone. The part corresponding to the 3 MBPS access to the Internet costs US$ 35/month.

I also pay USD 23/month for hosting my web site, which includes four relatively large capacity POP3 e-mail accounts. (I could have up to 20 accounts.)

Finally, I spend USD 5/month (using the yearly rate) for a no-limit IMAP e-mail service. Messages there get automatically deleted after one year. If I wanted them kept forever it would cost me USD 15/month.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Packages Apr 6, 2009

Yes, my deal (~48$) includes wifi for four connections at a time, all national calls to "normal" numbers, and 1000 mins of international calls to a select (but appropriate) number of foreign climes. Bandwith is fast enough for our needs... Very difficult to compare, although there are websites which do this for you.

How many people, I wonder, actually only pay for what they were looking for. I'm happy with my deal, largely because of myself and colleagues being able to chat with fri
... See more
Yes, my deal (~48$) includes wifi for four connections at a time, all national calls to "normal" numbers, and 1000 mins of international calls to a select (but appropriate) number of foreign climes. Bandwith is fast enough for our needs... Very difficult to compare, although there are websites which do this for you.

How many people, I wonder, actually only pay for what they were looking for. I'm happy with my deal, largely because of myself and colleagues being able to chat with friends and family abroad (and I know we could do this on Skype, but my secretary certainly can't master the technology), but so often I find that I am offered deals which offer "components" that I really don't need. This is particularly true for everything connected with telephony and IT. Marketing, huh?!
Collapse

Helena Genel
Helena Genel
United States
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
$38.24 for 15 MBPS Apr 6, 2009

and I need to pay the bill today. Thanks for reminding me!

Marta Brambilla
Marta Brambilla  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
free Apr 6, 2009

Actually, my contract includes a mobile phone, the phone at home and an ADSL connection, but having all at the same provider, I have the ADSL for free ....

that's it !!!

Ciao
Marta

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I'm with Arcor Apr 6, 2009

My deal: US$ 39 for a DSL flat rate (6000/640 kbps), home phone (sadly, with no flat rate included but as I get 100 minutes as part of my cellular subscription that's alright with me), ISDN (3 lines). I think the value is just average, yet I'm gonna keep it (I'm gonna have to for quite some time for contractual reasons...).

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's not free! Apr 6, 2009

Mbrambilla wrote:

Actually, my contract includes a mobile phone, the phone at home and an ADSL connection, but having all at the same provider, I have the ADSL for free ....

that's it !!!

Ciao
Marta

I always expostulate when people offer me "free extras" in a deal (oh I'll throw in this for free). Of course you're paying for it. They've calculated the cost in with the cost of the other items! I would only begin to look at it as free if I had already been paying the monthly rate and they then added on a new service at no extra charge. And even then I'd presume that their costs had gone down or that their rivals were offering a better deal! Suspicious ungrateful hag that I am.... (This is also why I always get so infuriated when banks try to give me crockery - reduce my mortgage rate for goodness sake!)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost $80 (special circumstances) Apr 6, 2009

I have to pay for two separate services. I pay $15 for dialup at home, and $62.84 for a wireless card service (AT&T) elsewhere.

Where I live, there is no wireless reception of any sort (no cell phone, either), and there is no cable service. Satellite service here in the windy, rainy "mountains" of Puerto Rico goes out too often to be bearable, and DSL service is not available on our phone line.

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Package: Internet cost in Brazil, Sao Paulo Apr 6, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote: My cable access to the Internet is bundled in a package that includes premium digital cable TV plus one VOIP phone. The part corresponding to the 3 MBPS access to the Internet costs US$ 35/month.

Apparently we don't live in same planet/ country-state..I also live in Brazil and also in São Paulo, and guess what, I pay 60 US$ or exactly 135,04 Reais for this part corresponding also in my case to 3 MBPS acess....so it would be great if you inform where I can find a 3 MBPS acess for US$ 35/month here in São Paulo!!!!

Daniel Marcu
Daniel Marcu
Local time: 18:21
Romanian to English
+ ...
~10$ Apr 6, 2009

Romania - Bucharest
12.5$ at current exchange rate (just for the internet part)
50 Mb/s within my network (6.25 MB/s but i reached 9MB/s on torrents)
10 Mb/s on the Internet (1.25 MB/s)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your monthly cost for Internet connection (in US dollars)?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »