Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever forgotten to invoice your clients because you were overloaded?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 8, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever forgotten to invoice your clients because you were overloaded?".

This poll was originally submitted by Claudia Iglesias

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For mo
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever forgotten to invoice your clients because you were overloaded?".

This poll was originally submitted by Claudia Iglesias

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:59
French to English
+ ...
No Apr 8, 2009

As far as I know, I've never forgotten to invoice a client, but I have put off doing so for a few days because I was too busy.

I generally invoice my regular clients at the end of the month, which can be anywhere between the 30th and the 8th or 10th of the following month depending on my schedule.

I always invoice new clients when I deliver or shortly thereafter.

Best,
Jocelyne

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
No Apr 8, 2009

Postponed yes, forgotten no.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:59
Member (2008)
French to English
didn't exactly forget Apr 8, 2009

I lost a bunch of invoicing info for a particular client that I had not entered into my accounting program yet when I moved and Comcast locked me out of my mailbox and lost all my info. My system was to keep orders in my inbox until the invoice was entered into my accounting and sent. I was behind because I was so busy between work and moving, but I thought the info would be there for me - I reckoned without Comcast's efficient (not) customer service. Luckily the client had the info and paid ... See more
I lost a bunch of invoicing info for a particular client that I had not entered into my accounting program yet when I moved and Comcast locked me out of my mailbox and lost all my info. My system was to keep orders in my inbox until the invoice was entered into my accounting and sent. I was behind because I was so busy between work and moving, but I thought the info would be there for me - I reckoned without Comcast's efficient (not) customer service. Luckily the client had the info and paid me.Collapse

Samir Sami
Samir Sami
Qatar
Local time: 23:59
Arabic to English
+ ...
Short-term memory loss! and money loss too! Apr 8, 2009

Only due to overloads (not necessarily translation), you forget to send, but this comes for only a couple of days. Then the normal process starts over.

Anyway, I believe that to forget to invoice, is much easier than to forget to get your due payment received. I hope that we won't get that message from the outsourcer with "Oh! So sorry. I forgot to pay you back". It happened to me, and I knew it was a case of "oblivion", as there have been other inquiries about payments.

... See more
Only due to overloads (not necessarily translation), you forget to send, but this comes for only a couple of days. Then the normal process starts over.

Anyway, I believe that to forget to invoice, is much easier than to forget to get your due payment received. I hope that we won't get that message from the outsourcer with "Oh! So sorry. I forgot to pay you back". It happened to me, and I knew it was a case of "oblivion", as there have been other inquiries about payments.

It would be very kind of the outsourcer to send you a gentle reminder. It happens
Collapse

Samira Khalid
Samira Khalid
Local time: 00:59
English to Urdu
+ ...
Lost info Apr 8, 2009

I didn't exactly forget to invoice. I thought I would do it at the end of the month. By that time, I had lost some cruicial info. Lost a small amount only, but learnt a valuable lesson.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:59
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Often Apr 8, 2009

I have to confess that I have so much stuff on my plate that I often forget to invoice the small jobs. I have even let jobs slip through the cracks and never invoiced them at all. Add procrastination on top, and we're looking at my biggest problem. As you can see, I'm good at shooting myself in the foot.

Big jobs are different. I'm pretty good about those.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
forgot, made mistakes... Apr 8, 2009

I forgot a couple of times, my client reminded me, but invoicing is always a mess... I send wrong invoices, wrong amounts...
I think I need to pay more attention!!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
pre-invoicing... Apr 8, 2009

Hi! I have learned to develop this habit since two years. The clients were getting forgetful of my services rendered and that had costed extra energy showing them the files and all the details. So I had started pre-invoicing and sending out a contract so that we both know what we are at. Brandis

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:59
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Apr 8, 2009

I answered NO because I always send the invoice along with the job.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
No, but postponed some Apr 8, 2009

Because I have a habit of forgetting things and letting them fall through the cracks, I use two Outlook task lists to mitigate this problem. They are named "jobs" and "invoices".

As soon as an assignment is confirmed, I add it to the "jobs" list, usually by dragging and dropping the relevant email into that task list to make this as effortless as possible. I do add some key information to indicate the client and the deadline.

Once the job is completed, I add it to the
... See more
Because I have a habit of forgetting things and letting them fall through the cracks, I use two Outlook task lists to mitigate this problem. They are named "jobs" and "invoices".

As soon as an assignment is confirmed, I add it to the "jobs" list, usually by dragging and dropping the relevant email into that task list to make this as effortless as possible. I do add some key information to indicate the client and the deadline.

Once the job is completed, I add it to the "invoices" list, usually by copying the same entry from the "jobs" list. Then I check it done in the jobs list. In that order.

Once I have sent an invoice, I check the entry in the "invoices" list. From that time on, the invoice is tracked by my accounting software.

As an additional memory aid, I do not remove entries from either list until payment is received. I just check them as done.

- Alaa

[Edited at 2009-04-08 21:17 GMT]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Same here Apr 9, 2009

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I answered NO because I always send the invoice along with the job.

This is my usual routine, too, although I do work for one client that I have to invoice once a month and I forgot a couple of times.

Anna Katikhina
Anna Katikhina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:59
English to Russian
+ ...
No, but... Apr 9, 2009

Me too, I always send the invoice along with the translation. But from time to time I forget to remind the client about overdue payments.

Oh! now that I'm saying it, I'll go and remind one of them about the last payment

Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Turchetto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
no! Apr 9, 2009

I generally invoice my clients a week after sending the translation and so far I have never forgotten to do it.
Sometimes THEY "forget" to pay me for my work!!!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nice foolproof tips, Alaa Apr 9, 2009

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

Once the job is completed, I add it to the "invoices" list, usually by copying the same entry from the "jobs" list. Then I check it done in the jobs list. In that order.

Once I have sent an invoice, I check the entry in the "invoices" list. From that time on, the invoice is tracked by my accounting software.

As an additional memory aid, I do not remove entries from either list until payment is received. I just check them as done.

- Alaa

[Edited at 2009-04-08 21:17 GMT]

Thanks!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever forgotten to invoice your clients because you were overloaded?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »