Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What's the shortest deadline you accept for a 7.500 word project in your specialty areas?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 14, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What's the shortest deadline you accept for a 7.500 word project in your specialty areas?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gabriella Ambs-Wettstein

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What's the shortest deadline you accept for a 7.500 word project in your specialty areas?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gabriella Ambs-Wettstein

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Depends ..... Apr 14, 2009

With use of CAT or without?
I believe most professionals process 3,000 to 4,000 words a day in either way in their own fields.

Some months back there was a pole asking maximum words you processed in a day.
I thought some colleague do the job in a speed of thunderlightening.
My jaw is still dropping since knowing such whopping statistic
What's your opinion, my friends?

Alexandra Krah
Alexandra Krah  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:02
German to Romanian
+ ...
day rate Apr 14, 2009

humbird wrote:

With use of CAT or without?
I believe most professionals process 3,000 to 4,000 words a day in either way in their own fields.

Yep, this is the rate I can offer without a CAT. I'm sorry I clicked the wrong answer.... I didn't read the options carefully.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends Apr 14, 2009

A very broad poll, methinks .)
I said 2-3 days - but it also depends on the other work I may have in hand at any given time, or social/personal commitments such as medical visits or admin business (tax returns, etc).

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 06:02
I am a snail Apr 14, 2009

The shortest deadline I can accept is 7 days, though I prefer to have 10, 8 days for translating and 2 days for proofreading.

No more than 1000 words a day.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Another snail... Apr 14, 2009

A minimum of a week.

Translation speed is not the only factor which comes into consideration, but the proportion of the week which is taken up, given that one has other regular clients as well. They all have to be fitted in.

andres-larsen
andres-larsen
Venezuela
Spanish to English
+ ...
I depend on local state monopolies Apr 14, 2009

I depend on local power supply and telecom platform state monopolies being subject to occasional power outages as well as telecom platform breakdowns

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Agree Apr 14, 2009

humbird wrote:

If there's no research involved (after all, it's your expertise field) and it's the only project you're working on, I'd say a couple of days plus another bit to complete the translation and the rest of the day for spellcheck/proofread. 3 days (8 hours work) at the most.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I voted 2-3 days Apr 14, 2009

... knowing the market. But I would do it in 8 hours - if "the price is right". And if it is not legalese. And if the source is impeccable. And and and ...

So, in any case, 2-3 days as a rule-of-thumb, gut-feeling opinion.

[Edited at 2009-04-14 21:23 GMT]

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
24 hours Apr 14, 2009

I would consider this extra-rush and expect to get paid for it, but it would be possible in my field in a CAT-ready format. I would consider 2 days rush and 3 regular for this amount in FR>EN. I don't think people working in more dissimilar languages, such as Asian languages to European languages are being snail-like in taking more time. I studied Japanase longer than I studied French, but I still find French considerably easier and faster to read, and the syntax is much closer to English. I... See more
I would consider this extra-rush and expect to get paid for it, but it would be possible in my field in a CAT-ready format. I would consider 2 days rush and 3 regular for this amount in FR>EN. I don't think people working in more dissimilar languages, such as Asian languages to European languages are being snail-like in taking more time. I studied Japanase longer than I studied French, but I still find French considerably easier and faster to read, and the syntax is much closer to English. In my case, I would need a couple months for 7500 words Japanese > English, but I expect the professional Asian language translators are a little fasterCollapse

Roberto Rey
Roberto Rey  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:02
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not impressed Apr 14, 2009

I'd love to see the quality of the translations of the 2% that voted for 24 hours! I must think it has to be a mistake...if not...god save their customers!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
You'd be impressed Apr 14, 2009

Yes, Roberto, I am one of the 2% who voted for 24 hours, in fact I voted less than 24 hours. If it is in my preferred specialty field I can do 7,500 words in less than 24 hours and there will be no compromise in quality, none at all. It will be world-class work, that is all I can do. I do not know how to work faster and provide less quality.

In fact, I have worked at that rate for days at a time. I work much better under pressure, although I feel better working a bit slower.

Virginie SEGARD COSTE
Virginie SEGARD COSTE
France
English to French
Less than 5 days = unprofessional Translation Apr 15, 2009

It would be good to see only professional Translators accepting jobs on Proz and other translation websites.
Please do not take our bread.
We, professional Translators, do not want to be a dying breed!!
Translating more than 2,000 words per day is UNPROFESSIONAL, UNETHICAL!!
How on earth is it possible to translate 7,500 words in 24 hours? Are you an extra-terrestrial... translation doesn't mean shit! Please review your ethics.
This is food for thought for people
... See more
It would be good to see only professional Translators accepting jobs on Proz and other translation websites.
Please do not take our bread.
We, professional Translators, do not want to be a dying breed!!
Translating more than 2,000 words per day is UNPROFESSIONAL, UNETHICAL!!
How on earth is it possible to translate 7,500 words in 24 hours? Are you an extra-terrestrial... translation doesn't mean shit! Please review your ethics.
This is food for thought for people who think they can become a Translator just like that. Would you operate a patient if you were not a doctor and did not have any degree in medicine???
Please respect our job.
Thank you.

[Edited at 2009-04-15 00:35 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Marcu
Daniel Marcu
Local time: 13:02
Romanian to English
+ ...
why so offensive Apr 15, 2009

No need to offend those that voted

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Not a supertranslator Apr 15, 2009

Just like most of you, I am not a supertranslator. I only accept a more-than-2-days deadline for such a project.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What's the shortest deadline you accept for a 7.500 word project in your specialty areas?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »