Poll: Do you feel you have the necessary skills to run your business efficiently?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:58
SITE STAFF
Apr 16, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you feel you have the necessary skills to run your business efficiently?".

This poll was originally submitted by Julianne Rowland

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translation is the business end of my business Apr 16, 2009

My skills aren't wonderful, but they're sufficient. I'd rather focus on translating.

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
Member (2008)
French to English
I could use some improvement Apr 17, 2009

My bookkeeping skills aren't bad compared to some - like my husband. I actually have a good idea how much I am making at any given moment. On the other hand, I am really bad at marketing. I have memberships in several professional and university societies where I could probably make some good connections if I ever went to any of the events but it is so hard! I might even have to wear something besides jeans or workout clothes - eek! My CV could be more polished and I still don't have a website - although I am in precontemplation. I usually stay pretty busy with agency work, but I would like to have more end-user clients. I just need to get past the wishing stage and into the doing stage.

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:58
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
marketing boring Apr 17, 2009

I should be working on marketing (look for potential clients, send out CV, set up a website etc.) but I never get around to do that, it is so boring.

Tip: It would be great if there were people who could provide this service for a small fee. The business in question would market freelance translators who don´t want to do this themselves, and in return they receive a small monthly fee (or percentage of the first few jobs, etc.) from the translator.

[Edited at 2009-04-17 02:03 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:28
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I fear I don't Apr 17, 2009

That is why I am still a freelancer and not a translating agency.

I enjoy translation, but dread the business, book-keeping, tax-related and marketing aspects of this profession.

In all these cases, there is much scope for improvement in my case.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:58
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
i'm like that too Apr 17, 2009

i'd be good managing in one sense but i would hate all the paperwork, books, etc and my math skills are pathetic...i guess i'm better off working for others.

I know i should do more selfmarketing but i'm like thomas...boorring...i have no patience, time or interest. I wish someone would do it for me!!

xxxInterlangue
Angola
Local time: 18:58
English to French
+ ...
Agree Apr 17, 2009

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

My skills aren't wonderful, but they're sufficient. I'd rather focus on translating.

Mine are good enough to run the business as I want it to be run: outsourcing the parts I do not like (accountancy, marketing, computer technicalities) and concentrating on translating.

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:58
English to Russian
+ ...
What business skills? Apr 17, 2009

Good or bad, but in my opinion translating and business skills are far from often present together. If one is good at business and administration why translate? One can set up a business, not necessarily a translation agency. And, conversely, if one finds his or her vocation and pleasure in translating, one would hardly be eager to go in for business. Of course, there may be exceptions - those who find equal pleasure in both trades.

[Edited at 2009-04-17 05:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-17 05:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel you have the necessary skills to run your business efficiently?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs