Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you enjoy listening to music while you work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 7, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you enjoy listening to music while you work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Fernanda Rocha

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more inform
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you enjoy listening to music while you work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Fernanda Rocha

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:44
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Depends Aug 7, 2009

If I known that that I have a very difficult job which needs to be done really quickly and I must give it 110% of my attention than I switch off everything besides my work and concentrate. But under regular circumstances I like to listen to music or occasionally I may start a film from You Tube on a second screen. I treat it as a nice background noise.

Cheers
Stanislaw

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - TV Aug 7, 2009

I actually prefer having the TV on while I’m working on some documents. Those documents include the hundreds-of-pages-long, tedious, mind-numbing stuff I’ve been doing on a regular basis for several years. I really don’t have to think much about them since I’ve been doing the same type of documents for so long. To save my sanity, I plop down on the sofa with my laptop and turn on a documentary or something like Forensic Files (nothing like... See more
I actually prefer having the TV on while I’m working on some documents. Those documents include the hundreds-of-pages-long, tedious, mind-numbing stuff I’ve been doing on a regular basis for several years. I really don’t have to think much about them since I’ve been doing the same type of documents for so long. To save my sanity, I plop down on the sofa with my laptop and turn on a documentary or something like Forensic Files (nothing like a little murder and mayhem to liven up a boring translation).

Lest I get carried away and too distracted, the quality control comes by then comparing the translation with the original, running the spellchecker and then reading the document over once more either on paper or on the screen if it’s very long.

When I’m working on a document in a field I’m not as familiar with, I prefer silence or maybe some music at a low volume. George Gershwin is good for accompanying that type of work.
Collapse

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
No distractions Aug 7, 2009

I am very sensitive to distractions. When I had to use dictation software because of a wrist injury, I even got distracted by the sound of my own voice which hindered my thinking.

Christina Bergmann
Christina Bergmann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
YES Aug 7, 2009

The thing is, I can't in "absolute" silence. Of course, I have my window open and hear all the outside noise, like the train or barking dogs and things.

But music saves my sanity and the actually the quality of my work. I also may switch the TV on and watch some silly, mind-numbing sitcom.

I also have some music playing wherever I go - thanks for MP3s - so not having music to listen to would actually distract me too much because I then have my ears pricked for all other
... See more
The thing is, I can't in "absolute" silence. Of course, I have my window open and hear all the outside noise, like the train or barking dogs and things.

But music saves my sanity and the actually the quality of my work. I also may switch the TV on and watch some silly, mind-numbing sitcom.

I also have some music playing wherever I go - thanks for MP3s - so not having music to listen to would actually distract me too much because I then have my ears pricked for all other sounds.

So yes, music is an essential part of my work.
Collapse

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
YES Aug 7, 2009

It's one of the main benefits of being a freelancer, IMO. I switch it off during proofreading, though.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 7, 2009

... but like John, I can live with TV.

I think it has to do with the "parrot". My criteria for translating is the flow of the spoken language, and this little voice in the back of my head really helps. (OK, mine's imaginary, but it's called "perroquet" in SI booths).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on Aug 7, 2009

... the music and the job complexity.
I find that some work requires greater concentration than others and some types of music can be more intrusive than others. Some quiet Vivaldi in the background rarely interferes with my train of thought, while (for example) free jazz or rap can be distracting,
I may also occasionally find too much silence unquieting...

Kristina Radziulyte
Kristina Radziulyte  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:44
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...

Always Aug 7, 2009

I always listen to the music: on TV (MTV preferably) or on computer - either something from my own music stash or from radio stations (Last.fm). Silent environment is not for me.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 7, 2009

I find Vangelis and Mozart inspiring...

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Music usually helps Aug 7, 2009

Almost any music without vocals helps me on most projects. But, if I need intense concentration then silence is best.

Spotify has really widened my musical horizons over past year or so.

My current working favourite is The Penguin Cafe Orchestra - http://open.spotify.com/track/1MIwRUsj23h7cYn6mNiqHw

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Always in the background Aug 7, 2009

I always have the radio running in the background. Sometimes it helps and you are never alone!!

k33pwalkin
k33pwalkin
Local time: 10:44
English to Romanian
+ ...
I answered "no" Aug 7, 2009

Music is never just background noise to me. Either I listen to music, or I work. I care very much about my music and I give it my full attention. However, if I want to take a break from work, playing some of my favourites is always a handy and efficient solution.

Emanuela Galdelli
Emanuela Galdelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes Aug 7, 2009

I love jazz and it relaxes me.

It's the perfect background of my work.

Ciao, Emanuela

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
music without words Aug 7, 2009

I like music, but no singing .... the words distract me.
There is also the temptation to sing along, which doesn't help me get on with the work.

I used to stick a CD in one of the computer drives, but since I've been using Trados I find that the "ping" when I move on to the next sentence is annoying. I've tried to eliminate it, even asked on the help board here, but I can't get rid of it!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you enjoy listening to music while you work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »