https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/189889-poll_which_payment_method_has_been_the_most_convenient_to_you.html?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which payment method has been the most convenient to you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 19, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which payment method has been the most convenient to you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gaurav Sharma. View the poll results »

Samir Sami
Samir Sami
Qatar
Local time: 12:42
Arabic to English
+ ...
WU & MoneyGram Jan 19, 2011

I know they charge higher fees, but they are "the most convenient" so far. WU served me in the GCC quite often with an excellent service, and I don't mind paying higher as long as I get the job done.

I wonder if there's anyone on the planet who detests moneybookers more than I do. I hope iKobo would gain more ground in the near future and replace such in-valuable service.

[Edited at 2011-01-19 08:17 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:42
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Other Jan 19, 2011

Depends on the amount you're receiving, but personally I prefer gold bars.

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:42
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Wire/bank transfer... Jan 19, 2011

1) Wire/bank transfer

2) Moneybookers

3) PayPal

I accept these.

Anadolu'dan selamlar
Saludos desde Anatolia

[Edited at 2011-01-19 11:49 GMT]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bank transfer Jan 19, 2011

Since all my clients are within Spain, simple bank transfers have always worked for me.

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...

Bank transfer, obviously, provided that no significant amount of charge on the part of the sender and the recipient.

Maria Drangel
Maria Drangel  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Used to be Xoom... Jan 19, 2011

...but since they stopped working with Sweden I cannot use them any more.

Wire is always the best unless there is a large fee.

Moneybooker is OK if the amount isn´t too big

When it comes to PayPal I rather not do the job if PayPal is the only payment solution. When all their fees including poor exchange rate add up, it is just not worthwhile your time...

Checks are out of the
... See more
...but since they stopped working with Sweden I cannot use them any more.

Wire is always the best unless there is a large fee.

Moneybooker is OK if the amount isn´t too big

When it comes to PayPal I rather not do the job if PayPal is the only payment solution. When all their fees including poor exchange rate add up, it is just not worthwhile your time...

Checks are out of the question for Sweden
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 19, 2011

Assuming that "wire transfer" (which I always associate with companies like Western Union, which charge a hefty commission) refers to online direct transfer into my bank account (at little or no commission), then that is the most convenient for me.
Aside from that, I'd say "prompt"....

Gwenydd Jones
Gwenydd Jones  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...

I feel ripped off every time I use Paypal. Never tried Moneybookers...

[Edited at 2011-01-19 10:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-19 10:19 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Checks Jan 19, 2011

I am American and I want my checks. They don't cost me a cent.

Foreign payments are wired to the European bank account.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Jan 19, 2011

From customers within the EU wire transfer is the best solution since there's hardly any fees and the exchange rate - if applicable - is moderate.

PayPal's fees, charged both to the sender and the recipient, are quite high, though the transfer is pretty fast and without problems.

Checks are the worst. I once received a check from the US in US$ and was quite shocked upon learning the fees the bank intended to charge. Since it was not a large amount the combined fees - ha
... See more
From customers within the EU wire transfer is the best solution since there's hardly any fees and the exchange rate - if applicable - is moderate.

PayPal's fees, charged both to the sender and the recipient, are quite high, though the transfer is pretty fast and without problems.

Checks are the worst. I once received a check from the US in US$ and was quite shocked upon learning the fees the bank intended to charge. Since it was not a large amount the combined fees - handling, conversion etc - doubled the amount stated on the check. Had I cashed it in, I would not only have worked for free, but would have - additionally! - had to pay the amount due to me to cover the bank fees. Consequently, checks are not acceptable.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bank transfer - ONLY if there's no fee Jan 19, 2011

Bank transfer - IF there's no fee. In the case of two of my clients I am not charged a fee, which is fine and dandy. But other times my bank has charged my US$35.00, and I resent that.

So, if I'm going to be charged a fee, I'd say my second choice would be a check.

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...

For Paypal I charge a supplement to cover the additional costs, which is probably why very few customers prefer it .

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depending on the amount Jan 19, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Depends on the amount you're receiving, but personally I prefer gold bars.

In Uruguay, banks charge a fee for receiving money from abroad (except for special accounts with special conditions, which I don't have), so, depending on the amount of the payment it is more convenient to receive the money via paypal (small amounts) or bank transfer.

I'd also prefer gold bars, but I believe the transport fee may also be expensive...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Recent changes in Brazil Jan 19, 2011

PayPal used to be 'impossible' to receive funds in Brazil, except via Xoom. A few months ago, PayPal set up operations in Brazil, and Xoom stopped accepting funds from there. Now PayPal pays directly to any bank account, however it takes 3-5 banking days. PayPal continues deducting almost 4% from the receiver. Transfer to a Brazilian bank is free, as long as the amount exceeds BRL 200 (~USD 115), however their exchange rates are almost 4% lower than market.

Banco Itau - the largest
... See more
PayPal used to be 'impossible' to receive funds in Brazil, except via Xoom. A few months ago, PayPal set up operations in Brazil, and Xoom stopped accepting funds from there. Now PayPal pays directly to any bank account, however it takes 3-5 banking days. PayPal continues deducting almost 4% from the receiver. Transfer to a Brazilian bank is free, as long as the amount exceeds BRL 200 (~USD 115), however their exchange rates are almost 4% lower than market.

Banco Itau - the largest private national bank in Brazil - used to charge a flat fee of BRL 140 (~USD 85) for processing a wire transfer, regardless of the amount involved. Once a client was about to wire me USD 55, and my account manager advised me to stop them on their tracks: if I received it, USD 30 would actually be charged to my account!

Itau has changed. This fee was lowered to BRL 104, and, more recently, to BRL 40, however the latter only in their Personnalite branches network, higher class agencies for more affluent accounts.

Meanwhile Xoom, though it only serves 30+ countries, has made agreements so that any transfer to Brazil (up to USD 3K/day) costs only USD 4.99, and gets credited within one banking day at most, often in less than one hour during banking hours.

So, at least here in Brazil, the 'war' between payment methods is fierce... to our benefit!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which payment method has been the most convenient to you?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »