Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you accept a post-editing job (of a machine translated text)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 20, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you accept a post-editing job (of a machine translated text)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Madalena Ribeiro. View the poll results »

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
I must admit ... Jun 20, 2011

I must admit once a friend/colleague of mine asked me to proof read a translation that was translated by another translator. It ended up being a machine translated text and it did not even make sense. I trusted her as I have known her for 10 years, so I thought I was going to proof read a standard translation, but it was like doing everything from scratch, maybe a bit faster, but that was surely NOT a translation!
I don't think I will do that again, that time I charged for my proof reading
... See more
I must admit once a friend/colleague of mine asked me to proof read a translation that was translated by another translator. It ended up being a machine translated text and it did not even make sense. I trusted her as I have known her for 10 years, so I thought I was going to proof read a standard translation, but it was like doing everything from scratch, maybe a bit faster, but that was surely NOT a translation!
I don't think I will do that again, that time I charged for my proof reading rates and it was not worth the effort!
Collapse

Mohammed Fahim
Mohammed Fahim  Identity Verified
Sri Lanka
Member (2010)
English to Tamil
+ ...
Machine Translation is Generally Waste Jun 20, 2011

Post editing of a machine translated text is merely wasting time, I think. I have seen many such translations. People with brain cannot bear to see such bad translations, actually. I am talking about my experience here. If anyone hurt, I am sorry.

If a client wants post editing of a machine translated text, we should explain him/her about the problem in it first. We can see lots of grammatical erros and compltely meaningless sentences. This what happened when I tried English to Tami
... See more
Post editing of a machine translated text is merely wasting time, I think. I have seen many such translations. People with brain cannot bear to see such bad translations, actually. I am talking about my experience here. If anyone hurt, I am sorry.

If a client wants post editing of a machine translated text, we should explain him/her about the problem in it first. We can see lots of grammatical erros and compltely meaningless sentences. This what happened when I tried English to Tamil.

Therefore, I think our explanation to clients would enable them to understand the problem and to get on to right translation. The client will possibly give us a new translation job - for manual translation.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sure, but... Jun 20, 2011

Sure, but I wouldn't accept some ridiculous "proofreading" rate.

Post-editing is much more work than simply looking for spelling and punctuation errors. It may include complete re-writes, so I'd expect a rate similar if not equal to translating.

My rule of thumb has always been that if I have to look at the original to know what the "translated" text is about, I charge as if it were a translation.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jun 20, 2011

I do occasionally, when I have time. Never as a rush job.

I request the source text though, and any proofreading and similar work are charged at my hourly rate - same as a mechanic's in an average garage here, which is about double the hourly rates I see posted here on ProZ.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 20, 2011

Not usually, or knowingly.

However, if they paid me enough, (for example, twice the amount it would have cost them to get a real translator to do it in the first place) I'd probably do it while ski-ing down Mount Everest with a rose up my nose...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My thoughts exactly Jun 20, 2011

Mohammed Fahim wrote:
People with brain cannot bear to see such bad translations, actually. I am talking about my experience here.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I also agree with John and Franco about the rates, as it can take as long as a real translation, if not longer...

[Edited at 2011-06-20 09:09 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
No. Jun 20, 2011

Recently I was contacted by an impressive company with a small editing job - neat! I really do appreciate editing jobs as a first project on purpose. This way I can gain perfect insight in regard to their quality standards and decide if wish to continue working with this company or not.

The very short text turned out to be a machine translation. Argh. I sent a hefty comment via email, did the (serious) editing anyway - and added a clause to our contract: "No editing of machine trans
... See more
Recently I was contacted by an impressive company with a small editing job - neat! I really do appreciate editing jobs as a first project on purpose. This way I can gain perfect insight in regard to their quality standards and decide if wish to continue working with this company or not.

The very short text turned out to be a machine translation. Argh. I sent a hefty comment via email, did the (serious) editing anyway - and added a clause to our contract: "No editing of machine translation". They agreed.

Since then I am receiving the most beautiful translation projects at high rates.

I have the feeling that companies might use this stuff to check you out. It costs less than having a test translation to be proofread and they get an impression of your quality approach. Smart!!!

Other than that - translating 80% of machine garbage at 30% rates doesn't sound very profitable, right?
Collapse

Maria Amorim (X)
Maria Amorim (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 20, 2011

I have once been contacted by a writer who needed some sentences of his book translated to Portuguese. Some of them were already translated and needed proofreading. I haven´t asked him but I am sure those sentences were translated with a translation machine. And I think that it’s the function of these machines, to give an immediate and approximate idea of the subject to help people in specific cases.

I can admit to help a private client in such a situation but I wouldn´t accept
... See more
I have once been contacted by a writer who needed some sentences of his book translated to Portuguese. Some of them were already translated and needed proofreading. I haven´t asked him but I am sure those sentences were translated with a translation machine. And I think that it’s the function of these machines, to give an immediate and approximate idea of the subject to help people in specific cases.

I can admit to help a private client in such a situation but I wouldn´t accept a translation company to ask for proofreading a machine based translation.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Jun 20, 2011

Admittedly, I've post-edited machine translations and usually ended up having to re-translate most of them, so that ...

Mohammed Fahim wrote:

People with brain cannot bear to see such bad translations, actually. I am talking about my experience here. If anyone hurt, I am sorry.

... I must fully agree with Mohammed.

I doubt that I will ever post-edit another MT, mainly because it does "hurt" to read some of these "translations", and also because the rates offered by agencies for so many hours of work, sometimes even with the original at hand, are ridiculous.

Jana Kinská
Jana Kinská  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes - if I got paid for a new translation;) Jun 20, 2011

I think it is more efficient to prepare a new translation than to edit a machine-translated text. I would never want to "post-edit" a machine translation, no matter how much a client would offer.

I prefer my good health to my account balance.

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:38
Finnish to English
+ ...
It depends Jun 20, 2011

I voted "No" but, on reflection - after reading what others had to say, I would if they paid my normal translation rate. MTs are often useless (though not always).

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Jun 20, 2011

Did it once on a large project and, never ever again, not even if the payment was over rated, it was a terrible experience!!!

[Edited at 2011-06-20 12:34 GMT]

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
yes Jun 20, 2011

but my maybe the rates would prevent the job from being assigned to me!!!

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Definitely: NO, Jun 20, 2011

and the same goes with the question: "Would you accept a job paid 0.03 or 0.05 per word".
If I supspect my client to be *somewhat* serious, I would also explain him why and so you should do. Otherwise, you're just losing your precious time and shouldn't care getting involved in discussions.
Also, don't be afraid to "log" such people in order not to lose time in the future!

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-06-20 12:29 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you accept a post-editing job (of a machine translated text)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »