https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/211657-poll%3A_i_market_my_services.html?

Poll: I market my services...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 10, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I market my services...".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
German to English
+ ...
I don't market my services ... Nov 10, 2011

... when things go quiet, I enjoy the peace. It never lasts!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Nov 10, 2011

On the very beginning (1984) I marketed my services (embassies, translation agencies, direct clients) and this resulted in a steady flow of work, but things have changed these last few months...

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 22:42
English to French
+ ...
Other Nov 10, 2011

I "market" my services in an "ongoing fashion" but not at all in a traditional way.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:42
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Other: I regularly contribute to promote translation industry, Nov 10, 2011

not my individual linguistic assistance. I see myself as a quailified distributor of this service, and my only parameter here is variable capacity subject to various external and internal factors.
Is there a medical market (market!) of a specific illness? Is there a linguistic market of a specific language pair in a specific field with specific delivery (by type: oral, written, recorded; by time: simultaneous, consecutive, "the whole"; by style: draft, detailed, professionally reviewed; a
... See more
not my individual linguistic assistance. I see myself as a quailified distributor of this service, and my only parameter here is variable capacity subject to various external and internal factors.
Is there a medical market (market!) of a specific illness? Is there a linguistic market of a specific language pair in a specific field with specific delivery (by type: oral, written, recorded; by time: simultaneous, consecutive, "the whole"; by style: draft, detailed, professionally reviewed; and so on)?
If there were such precisely definite, more or less stable, specific parcels of the market, I certainly would market my individual service on regular and pro-active basis.

[Edited at 2011-11-10 10:28 GMT typos typos...]

[Edited at 2011-11-10 11:11 GMT]
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Ongoing Nov 10, 2011

If by marketing one means sending out mailshots to targeted companies and the like, then I do not. I find the response rate is often not worth the effort. I would rather not pollute the planet with more "junk mail".
I do, however, never fail to mention to people I meet that I am a translator and tell them the kinds of things that I like doing, or have done recently - and I make sure they know how to contact me. This kind of social networking, in real, 3-D life has led to more work than a
... See more
If by marketing one means sending out mailshots to targeted companies and the like, then I do not. I find the response rate is often not worth the effort. I would rather not pollute the planet with more "junk mail".
I do, however, never fail to mention to people I meet that I am a translator and tell them the kinds of things that I like doing, or have done recently - and I make sure they know how to contact me. This kind of social networking, in real, 3-D life has led to more work than any other form of advertising or self-promotion. I think visibility on ProZ, LinkedIn, and one's own website have certain advantages too.

(Edited for typo.)

[Edited at 2011-11-10 11:42 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:42
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
When I remember... Nov 10, 2011

which is seldom enough because of ongoing or new projects.

Once in a while I send out flyers, but, like Allison, I do mention that I am a translator and teacher without, however, pushing the matter. The little free time left is used to catch up with things or to just relax.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
varies Nov 10, 2011

Some marketing activities are always on-going, of course, even it is as simple as keeping my website up, with a strong and effective SEO strategy, etc.

But as far as actively seeking out clients, the truth is, when I am up to my eyeballs in work, I do very little of this at all.

Clearly, if/when things slow down, I will actively pursue new clients.

I never send unsolicited marketing materials electronically (and cursorily delete those sent to me), rather ch
... See more
Some marketing activities are always on-going, of course, even it is as simple as keeping my website up, with a strong and effective SEO strategy, etc.

But as far as actively seeking out clients, the truth is, when I am up to my eyeballs in work, I do very little of this at all.

Clearly, if/when things slow down, I will actively pursue new clients.

I never send unsolicited marketing materials electronically (and cursorily delete those sent to me), rather choosing to rely on pursuing those potential clients who actively seek services such as mine through avenues like proz, and, as mentioned, making myself as visible and easily found on the internet to those who actively seek such services.

I get a lot of clients through word-of-mouth/recommendations from satisfied clients, too.

I marketed more heavily in early years, but the long client list and reputation I built then seem to be carrying me forward, now, with far less focused marketing efforts.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:42
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
when things slow down Nov 10, 2011

and I have time, i will embark on a campaign to find new clients. However, I am usually on the lookout and will apply to any agency I find interesting.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Nov 10, 2011

Except for usually having a few business cards in my pocket, I don't do marketing per se, though new customers do still seem to manage to find me.
I always think I should and would if I had a slow spell ...

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
ongoing Nov 10, 2011

website revamped occasionally if I get some quiet times, which I enjoy, then get busy. Always ongoing process with me I aspire to have a strong core clientele of good payers with people I enjoy working with. Gradually, I'm succeeding by displacing troublemakers with nice people with the ongoing marketing process

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't market my services any more Nov 12, 2011

I used to, but now that I have really well-paying clients, I'm sticking with them and doing my best by them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I market my services...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »