https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/212923-poll%3A_how_many_of_your_clients_have_you_met_personally_face_to_face.html?

Poll: How many of your clients have you met personally (face to face)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 26, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many of your clients have you met personally (face to face)?".

View the poll results »

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Others Nov 26, 2011

Face to face might also be interpreted as having met via video conference in today's advanced IT age. This type of face-to-face meeting applies to 2 of my clients.

Being in the same room as the client, there has been only one - thus far.

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
German to English
+ ...
One Nov 26, 2011

I answered one, because I happened to have a local client recently. Otherwise, all my clients are located outside of my country, which is understandable given my language combination. I wouldn't mind meeting clients personally, but I think I'd first have to change my profile photo that I've had since I registered at Proz to prevent "encounter shock".

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
The Majority Nov 26, 2011

Mine is "the majority", an answer that is very much in the minority here. However, as I have mentioned so many times, I have been active in a local market for over 40 years, much before the Internet, and this local market has always been good to me. Thus I have had a chance to personally meet many of my clients, or if not to at least talk to them on the phone or exchange e-mails on a frequent basis. They also frequently express their thanks for good service rendered.

I think the abo
... See more
Mine is "the majority", an answer that is very much in the minority here. However, as I have mentioned so many times, I have been active in a local market for over 40 years, much before the Internet, and this local market has always been good to me. Thus I have had a chance to personally meet many of my clients, or if not to at least talk to them on the phone or exchange e-mails on a frequent basis. They also frequently express their thanks for good service rendered.

I think the above situation contributes to a lot of satisfaction. To be working on the Internet with unknown parties who cannot always be trusted seems like a nightmare. I do not envy the lives of most of you out there.
Collapse

Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)
Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Most of them Nov 26, 2011

When you do sworn translations, including for private individuals, you meet most of your clients in person, they come to your private domicile in person. However I find this practice distasteful, to say the least, as you never know what kind of crazy person you let into your private home, especially if you happen to be alone at home. They are one-time small customers and it's really not worth the risk. Never again, I think... Small customers, big problems, as they say...

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Sad, Isabelle Nov 26, 2011

It is sad that you find it distasteful to receive private clients at your home, as you never know what kind of crazy person you might let in. In my part of the world at least, we do not have such fears. No, not everyone is perfect, but certainly any prospective client and anyone else who comes by is welcome and not to be feared. Of course in my country we have a right to bear arms and it is widely exercised. But the important point is, seldom is there any need to resort to the use of such force.

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Although I said none... Nov 26, 2011

I have met a very few of my clients in person. These were relatively small projects I undertook, mainly translation of academic research material for students pursuing master/doctorate degrees, lecturers and writers.

Leon Ivanihin
Leon Ivanihin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
Answer: none Nov 27, 2011

Melanie Nassar wrote:
I wouldn't mind meeting clients personally, but I think I'd first have to change my profile photo that I've had since I registered at Proz to prevent "encounter shock".

Dear Melanie, do you mean that you personally looks another way than your avatar?
I completely understand you here My fuchsia-boy personage has too few common traits with me

For the question: my believe can look strange for some people. But my personal experience taught me that 'close/local client is bad client', the worst client is your friend or relative. And the best one lives on the opposite part of the Earth

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 27, 2011

I have met most of my regular direct clients in person, as they tend to be located local/regionally, and some of them are the legacy of my TEFL years.

I haven't met any of the translation agencies I've worked for in recent years in person - not counting colleagues/friends who sometimes share stuff with me and might be considered "agencies" as they do outsource work, although I consider it as "doing a job for a pal" and wouldn't dream of asking for a contract or anything similarly "
... See more
I have met most of my regular direct clients in person, as they tend to be located local/regionally, and some of them are the legacy of my TEFL years.

I haven't met any of the translation agencies I've worked for in recent years in person - not counting colleagues/friends who sometimes share stuff with me and might be considered "agencies" as they do outsource work, although I consider it as "doing a job for a pal" and wouldn't dream of asking for a contract or anything similarly "professional" in these cases.
Collapse

Matthew Fisher (X)
Matthew Fisher (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
German to English
More guns, less crime, eh? Nov 27, 2011

Henry Hinds wrote:

It is sad that you find it distasteful to receive private clients at your home, as you never know what kind of crazy person you might let in. In my part of the world at least, we do not have such fears. No, not everyone is perfect, but certainly any prospective client and anyone else who comes by is welcome and not to be feared. Of course in my country we have a right to bear arms and it is widely exercised. But the important point is, seldom is there any need to resort to the use of such force.

Henry, you pack heat to your client meetings? Too cool. Personally, I wouldn't.

Then again, a man's home is his castle. I'm guessing yours is pretty well secured.

Here, I'm more concerned about what the toddler's going to get into next. That whole castle business goes out the window once the little barbarians are actually inside the child safety gate.

Put it this way: She incapacitated a Toughbook M34 by ripping all the keys off. For fun. Panasonic and the DOD never saw that one coming, when they drafted the mil-spec laptop torture tests.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:06
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
In the past, yes Nov 27, 2011

When I started as a full-time freelancer, I lived in London and met several of my clients in person, occasionally visiting their offices, which I found pleasant and constructive.
Since then, all those agencies have been taken over by others so, although I still work for most of them, I no longer know the PMs personally.
I now live far from London, anyway, so am much less likely to be able to meet them in person.
Jenny

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Most of them Nov 27, 2011

I met some before starting to work for them, sometimes abroad.
I met several others at conferences or other translators' events.
Some agencies invite me to their annual banquet, or other social happenings.
I drop by at agencies, especially when there is a change of PM(s).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many of your clients have you met personally (face to face)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »