Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you have to work all night long in order to meet a deadline?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 3, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you have to work all night long in order to meet a deadline?".

This poll was originally submitted by Katarina Dusikova. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Once Dec 3, 2011

Only once, at the very beginning of my career, just to find out a few hours later how counterproductive working all night can be…

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 03:15
English to French
+ ...
I said never Dec 3, 2011

... because the question is in the present tense.
I have not worked around the clock for a certain number of years now and all in all, I must have done it once or maybe twice

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Never Dec 3, 2011

I did this once, at the very beginning of my career, and it's something I would never do again!

I like my sleep these days (I have two children who still don't sleep through), so a night of no sleep at all would finish me completely. Even if the client paid 3 times as much I wouldn't do it. As Teresa has said, it's counterproductive anyway.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I tried once...... Dec 3, 2011

And I made it till 3am before I became so over-tired and annoyed at the translation I just wanted to jack it all in and become a plumber.

Would never do it again. I'd simply make sure not to agree to a deadline which would mean having to stay up all night.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Dec 3, 2011

It hasn't happened for a while though - the last time it was because it was a large PowerPoint presentation and when I'd thought I'd finished, it turned out there were still a lot of hidden text boxes in it that subsquently took ages to f¡nd and modify.

It doesn't really bother me though as I don't have an obligatory set schedule - and people's definition of "all night long" can vary - in the case above it was about 8am on the Monday before I finished the job.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Never Dec 3, 2011

I am not able to work at night. I can wake up at 4, no problem. But let me sleep at night. Cause anyway the job should be re-done from scratch.

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Wouldn't dream of it! Dec 3, 2011

I know the result would be total rubbish.

I might have been daft enough to do it a few times 30-odd years ago (I remember hallucinating from 4 am onwards - everything was bathed in mauve halos), but not these days! I set the limit at an occasional late evening session or very early start.

When I'm snugly tucked up in bed at 10 pm (oh, yes!!!) I reflect, with gratitude, on the perks of being a freelancer: choosing my hours is one of them.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
When it's absolutely necessary Dec 3, 2011

Thus far, only a few times which was mainly due to a large project with an, actually, much too tight deadline. Of course, I try to avoid working "nights", but some (job) offers simply cannot be refused.

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
never Dec 3, 2011

never worked all night but had a few long days with short nights however I avoid them in the end just spend a bit less money if you can and enjoy life a little more plus this type of clients is not the one you want to keep anyway - if all translators would insist on decent payment terms and working conditions, they would not get away with it - best to avoid at all costs

ANNA PRIGHIPAKI
ANNA PRIGHIPAKI
Greece
Local time: 04:15
English to Greek
+ ...
Very often Dec 3, 2011

I have always been a "night" person and I tend to be very productive during the night. Especially now that I have a 2-year old girl who demands my attention most of the day, I tend to work mainly during night hours.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:15
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Ty Dec 3, 2011

I have, on rare occasions, worked till 2 or 3 am, but never the whole night through. Even then, I pay for it the next day.

I'd rather turn down a job now than having to do that again

Trudy

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Never Dec 3, 2011

I'm a late-in-the day person, and kan keep going without major problems until 1 or 2 am. After that it is a bad idea. I have worked until five or six in the morning, but every hour after around midnight costs two hours the next day.

If the deadline is too tight for sleep at night, I turn down the job or renegotiate the deadline, or, if there is an unforeseen problem, I contact the client and/or a colleague, and we work out a solution.

Otherwise it sets off migraine atta
... See more
I'm a late-in-the day person, and kan keep going without major problems until 1 or 2 am. After that it is a bad idea. I have worked until five or six in the morning, but every hour after around midnight costs two hours the next day.

If the deadline is too tight for sleep at night, I turn down the job or renegotiate the deadline, or, if there is an unforeseen problem, I contact the client and/or a colleague, and we work out a solution.

Otherwise it sets off migraine attacks and endangers other deadlines, because I usually have several smallish jobs in hand in a tight schedule. It is simply not worth it.

[Edited at 2011-12-04 16:14 GMT]
Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Not any more Dec 3, 2011

I haven't worked all night for a long, long time. I did once or twice at the very beginning but usually by nine at the latest I shut down for the night even if I have to get up at five a.m.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:15
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
rarely Dec 4, 2011

I'm like christine, more of a late day person. THere have been a couple of times when I've worked until very late, 2 am but I really don't like doing that.
Sometimes, when I have a UK or Euro deadline I'll work late since 10 am their time is about 3 am my time. Mostly I try to avoid working very late, even though I'm a night owl, since it screws up my sleep for days! and at this time of year, the days are so short you can wake up late and the sun sets 3 hours later!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you have to work all night long in order to meet a deadline?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »