https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/213583-poll_when_do_you_find_you_are_most_productive_in_general.html?

Poll: When do you find you are most productive, in general?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 6, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When do you find you are most productive, in general?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:09
German to English
+ ...
First thing in the morning ... Dec 6, 2011

... which, strangely, currently seems to be the most popular answer. But it's pretty early in the morning here in Europe. Wonder if the results will even out over the day.

William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:09
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mid-morning Dec 6, 2011

Why was there no option for this? I might be in front of the computer at 6 or 7 am but, I am certainly most productive between 9 am and 12 pm.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
First thing in the morning Dec 6, 2011

or even before. My taste for procrastination often leads me to wake up early to finish of jobs with deadlines in the morning.
Incidentally, I delivered a job just now, and I got up at 5.30am to meet the deadline.
I don't like working late at night, and I usually close shop at 7.30-8pm

Philippe

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Early morning .... Dec 6, 2011

I haven't always beeen a morning person, but I definitely am now.
I like to get up early and generally to get things done before the rest of the world wakes up and starts disturbing me.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mid-afternoon/evening Dec 6, 2011

I like to start early in the morning when my mind is fresh but I am certainly more productive by mid-afternoon... I am a slow starter!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
When undisturbed Dec 6, 2011

Intrusions far outweigh any personal inclinations towards certain times of the day.

In the mornings I may be able to count on an hours of so without interruptions once the children are in school and before other business colleagues start knocking on my door. Otherwise I have to wait until everyone has gone to bed - if there is a good film on or football that everyone wants to watch (not often the case that there is concord!) then I may be able to start earlier. Shrek last night was
... See more
Intrusions far outweigh any personal inclinations towards certain times of the day.

In the mornings I may be able to count on an hours of so without interruptions once the children are in school and before other business colleagues start knocking on my door. Otherwise I have to wait until everyone has gone to bed - if there is a good film on or football that everyone wants to watch (not often the case that there is concord!) then I may be able to start earlier. Shrek last night was as popular with me as with the rest of the family since I got a nice long stretch of peace and quiet!

All this may change in a few year's time...
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Later in the day, but then the phone rings... Dec 6, 2011

A lot of the other 'late in the day' people seem to be PMs!

I always have worked best in the afternoons and evenings, but I can warm up quite fast with a little determination, and put in a really good hour or two before lunch as well. At this time of year I need to get out in the daylight in the middle of the day. If you blink twice at the wrong time, you miss any sun there may be.

The frustrating thi
... See more
A lot of the other 'late in the day' people seem to be PMs!

I always have worked best in the afternoons and evenings, but I can warm up quite fast with a little determination, and put in a really good hour or two before lunch as well. At this time of year I need to get out in the daylight in the middle of the day. If you blink twice at the wrong time, you miss any sun there may be.

The frustrating thing is that some days, just as I am really making progress, all my friendly clients start mailing and calling too.

Since my husband has retired, he has taken over cooking the supper several days a week... so I can carry on a little longer. The UK clients' time zone is an hour behind ours - and some of them work very late too, so when I check my mails after supper, a couple more may have arrived! But then I often have a couple of hours to work in peace while there is football on TV.

The good English-language programmes come late, so we go to bed late... and I can't imagine how we survived when we all had to be out of the house before 7 am to get to work and school on time!!

[Edited at 2011-12-06 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:09
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
afternoon-evening Dec 6, 2011

Although I suppose early morning would be better in some ways, as I often get job requests from europe....
I know that for people who have kids, early morning is often better, as they like to be finished by afternoon.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends. Dec 6, 2011

There's no "most productive" time for me. Sometimes I'm most productive in the morning, sometimes during the day or in the evening or at night. It all depends on various factors, e. g. surroundings, appointments etc. I guess I'm at my most productivity under time pressure. The closer the deadline, the more productive I am.

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same here... Dec 6, 2011

dasein_wm wrote:

Why was there no option for this? I might be in front of the computer at 6 or 7 am but, I am certainly most productive between 9 am and 12 pm.

Afternoon to evening Dec 6, 2011

Contrary to majority of the crowd here, my brain is very fuzzy in the morning, then starts clicking toward midday, then keep clicking toward late evening.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When do you find you are most productive, in general?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »