ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
User
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Poll: Do you usually work between Christmas and New Year?
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 16:02
SITE STAFF
Dec 9, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually work between Christmas and New Year?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:02
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Yes, definetely Dec 9, 2011

For my personal condition, this is a valid and productive period for working.

xxxInterlangue
Angola
English to French
+ ...
"Usually"... Dec 9, 2011

... yes, but not this year: the office will be closed 22-27 December and I will be back at work from the 28th onwards

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes Dec 9, 2011

Depending on what's around in the way of both work and childcare!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
No. Dec 9, 2011

At least not on short notice. Most clients have their offices closed during those few days anyway.

Teresa Borges
Belgium
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Dec 9, 2011

I work with two (good) “historical” clients who have different cultural practices and traditions...

neilmac
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 9, 2011

Otherwise I'd get bored. The past couple of years, clients actually sent me work on the 24th December, which I somehow managed to fit in between the wassail and mince pies...

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Yes, usually... Dec 9, 2011

But not this year, because I close shop.
I have always had a lot of work before, during and after that "holiday season". Perhaps because budgets have to be spent by the end of the calendar year?

Philippe

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I try not to Dec 9, 2011

I don't tell my clients that I'm not available, but I try to avoid working during the last two weeks of December because there's so much else that needs to be done.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Preferably not Dec 9, 2011

For many years my husband was extra busy making up annual accounts and closing the books at work. In my previous job in the social services I was sometimes on duty or called out.

When I started translating, both in house and freelancing, we often managed a normal month's work in the first three weeks of December, and then had jobs in the in-tray that clients wanted ASAP in January, as soon as their offices opened.

Now my husband has retired, and we have discovered that there are alternatives to working round the clock in December... even if the weather is a good excuse to stay indoors and wait for something better!

This year there is what they call "Employers' Christmas" in Sweden - Christmas and the New Year fall at the weekend and save on holidays!

I am warding off any work that needs to be done between Christmas and New Year. I may not succeed entirely... but I will not be working at full capacity.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Half capacity Dec 9, 2011

If I have job offers from the 19th onwards that only require around 4 hours of work a day (approx. 2,000 words in my field), I'll accept them just to prevent going cold turkey (pun, I know), as I otherwise tend to get ratty with everyone around me after a day or two of "Christmas cheer".

I normally work an early bird shift anyhow, so it will be out of the way before anyone else is really up and about.

R-i-c-h-a-r-d  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:02
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sure Dec 9, 2011

I do what I do and try to fit work responsibilities around family commitments during this happy and eventful time of the year. I'll probably be trying to juggle life, the universe and everything else (RIP Douglas Adams) for the next thirty years or so, with good health and a little bit of luck

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nope Dec 9, 2011

I never have done. None of my clients are open anyway and it's the only time of the year when I can relax at home without feeling the need to reply to emails. Autoreply goes on from Christmas Eve until the New Year when I return refreshed and raring to go

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:02
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes Dec 9, 2011

I have had some xmas jobs and i get bored if I have nothing to do for too long.A lot of my clients close up during that time but if anyone needs me, I'll do it. I can always use the cash!
Last year I was available but no one contacted me...we'll see this year.

Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:02
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not usually Dec 9, 2011

However, this year I already have over 100,000 words to finish before mid-January, so I may have no other choice.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Kopnitsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually work between Christmas and New Year?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »