https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/214547-poll_do_you_reply_to_e_mails_job_offers_from_agencies_persons_who_do_not_address_you_by_name.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you reply to e-mails (job offers) from agencies/persons who do not address you by name?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 21, 2011

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you reply to e-mails (job offers) from agencies/persons who do not address you by name?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jan Kolbaba. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:34
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes Dec 21, 2011

It depends if the job looks interesting, the rates are reasonable, I have time, etc.

I always reply if I am addressed by name, though.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only if . . . Dec 21, 2011

I'm really interested in the work they are proposing. It would have to be a topic that is dear to my heart.

I usually find that if I take the trouble to connect with them, it will turn out that their rates are too low.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:34
German to English
+ ...
Investigate Dec 21, 2011

Yes, if the tone is reasonable, the job looks interesting and, as always, after investigating the agency or person to see if they are legitimate.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Yes, unless the agency looks dodgy Dec 21, 2011

It has led to some good business in the past.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Depends Dec 21, 2011

I do when the mail comes from a regular customer who addresses several translators in one mail (they usually say so when they are in a hurry).

I never do when the mail comes from unknown agencies/people who don't say how/where they found me.

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree Dec 21, 2011

Interlangue wrote:
I never do when the mail comes from unknown agencies/people who don't say how/where they found me.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, provided... Dec 21, 2011

I reply only to email job offers that don't adress me personally when

1. the person/agency states where they've found me.
2. the conducted background check renders a positive result
3. the offer kindles my interest

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Dec 21, 2011

I never reply to these mailing list requests for first come first serve.

Either I know the company / person or I just ignor the mail.

If I am addressed personnally, I always reply, even if I do not know the person.

Jan Kolbaba
Jan Kolbaba  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree again, thanks Dec 21, 2011

Michael Harris wrote:
If I am addressed personnally, I always reply, even if I do not know the person.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Agree Dec 21, 2011

Simon Bruni wrote:

It has led to some good business in the past.

Sometimes it is one of those first-come-first-served agencies, which can be annoying, but isn't always necessarily a bad thing.

It doesn't bother me that they don't address me personally in the first email. If they continued to send non-personalised emails subsequently, then yes, I'd be inclined to ignore them or refuse work.

I had an agency once, who, not only was their initial email non-personalised, the subsequent exhange of emails were a mixture of personalised, non-personalised and FORWARDED emails. I had to try hard that day not to laugh.

What's worse is that they had included the details of the other translator they were negotiating with (and were trying to draw me into a bidding war). Totally unprofessional.

If I was a less diplomatic type, I might have told them to *insert their "offer" in an orifice where the sun don't shine*. Alas, I bowed out gracefully.

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
I don't find it relevant Dec 21, 2011

What matters to me is that the agency / potential client makes a professional impression.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 00:34
Depends on the content of the mail Dec 21, 2011

Being addressed personally or not is not an important criterion for me, the content of the mail says much more about how serious the enquiry is. I don't mind an enquiry with a potential job starting with "Dear colleagues", because the client has to ask several translators.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 00:34
Neither do I mind, Dec 21, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

Being addressed personally or not is not an important criterion for me, the content of the mail says much more about how serious the enquiry is. I don't mind an enquiry with a potential job starting with "Dear colleagues", because the client has to ask several translators.

if the mail starts with "Sehr geehrter Herr Bin"...

Patricia Prevost
Patricia Prevost  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Dec 21, 2011

In my case, it's usually mass mails to offer the kind of rates I don't work for. Addressing me personally, even if I don't know the client, is a different thing, though. I always reply to these emails.

Edited to add that I could have just quoted Michael Harris, as our replies are almost identical, sorry!

[Edited at 2011-12-21 12:10 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you reply to e-mails (job offers) from agencies/persons who do not address you by name?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »