https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/222289-poll_do_you_work_over_the_easter_holidays.html?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you work over the Easter holidays?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 8, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work over the Easter holidays?".

This poll was originally submitted by Annett Hieber. View the poll results »

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:07
Hebrew to English
Yep...why not? Apr 8, 2012

Not a Christian. Not religious. Gives you a lot of freedom to work....whenever.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:07
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Apr 8, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Not a Christian. Not religious. Gives you a lot of freedom to work....whenever.

This is one of the reasons why I'm working today, although not in the translation "area" since all current projects are completed.

To all ProZians who celebrate it: Happy Easter!

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
Yes, unfortunately Apr 8, 2012

But not by choice!

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Apr 8, 2012

And on Christmas Day and New Year's Day, if there's work that needs to be done. My children understand that and so does my husband, but my parents not so much...

Patricia Prevost
Patricia Prevost  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Apr 8, 2012

I've got a translation I'm working on at the moment but with a "flexible" deadline. And I really don't mind working over the Easter holidays, as we hadn't planned to go anywhere this year. On Friday I worked in the morning and then spent the rest of the day in Zarautz and Getaria, on the Basque coast, how could I complain?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 8, 2012

And usually by choice.

My current job deadline is for the 24th but I'm trying to get ahead in case other "offers I can't refuse" from regular clients come in. I reckon I can finish it by next weekend and then perhaps take things more easily. I do have a friend visiting though, so I'm only really working mornings.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Yes Apr 8, 2012

Took Friday and Saturday off to host my guests. They left now. Working takes away the loneliness Thank you all for your company!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, if there's work to be done... Apr 8, 2012

oxygen4u wrote:

And on Christmas Day and New Year's Day, if there's work that needs to be done. My children understand that and so does my husband, but my parents not so much...

I have no husband (I'm a widow), but both my children and my mother understand that and even help if need be...

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Won't the results be skewed ... Apr 8, 2012

... by the fact that those who would answer 'no' are probably out enjoying themselves?

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:07
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes Apr 8, 2012

I don't celebrate it anyways!
In fact, I will be finishing up a translation project today, working on the revisions. It's been ongoing and I'd like to get it done. I've often worked during xmas holiday, usually between xmas and new year. If someone needs me during that time...

Lorena Gastou
Lorena Gastou
Argentina
Local time: 03:07
English to Spanish
Yes, but it's the last time!! Apr 8, 2012

I'm working right now, but I really don't want to do it anymore on this kind of holydays. I feel so guilty because my family has to stay home just because of me (it's better together, I guess). Nonetheless, it's always about how much money would I make if I work during the weekend. And, that's when it turns out almost impossible to say no.

Fortunately, this weekend was a sort of transition since I managed to take Friday off and yesterday afternoon we took a short trip. No regrets, s
... See more
I'm working right now, but I really don't want to do it anymore on this kind of holydays. I feel so guilty because my family has to stay home just because of me (it's better together, I guess). Nonetheless, it's always about how much money would I make if I work during the weekend. And, that's when it turns out almost impossible to say no.

Fortunately, this weekend was a sort of transition since I managed to take Friday off and yesterday afternoon we took a short trip. No regrets, since the project is well on track!
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
US/GB Apr 8, 2012

Mary Worby wrote:

... by the fact that those who would answer 'no' are probably out enjoying themselves?

Perhaps also by the fact the in GB English, "do you..." is used for what you do in general. In US English, I think I am right in saying that this is perhaps intended to refer to this particular Easter, which Brits would formulate with "Are you ... ing?"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:07
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Apr 8, 2012

It's not celebrated over here and there's no festive atmosphere in the air.
I tend to observe the national holidays and festivals here anyway.

Short Story for your enjoyment since everyone's out having a fun time -- Thanks Mary

I once got a phone call from a customer many years ago on December 28th asking me to do "an absolutely urgent job that must be delivered on January 5th to meet a tight client
... See more
It's not celebrated over here and there's no festive atmosphere in the air.
I tend to observe the national holidays and festivals here anyway.

Short Story for your enjoyment since everyone's out having a fun time -- Thanks Mary

I once got a phone call from a customer many years ago on December 28th asking me to do "an absolutely urgent job that must be delivered on January 5th to meet a tight client schedule" the PM said breathlessly. This would have meant me working through the New Year which is like someone in Europe or the US working through Xmas. They said I was the only one for it (only sucker, that is!). Like an idiot I fell into the trap and said I'd do it. They always paid on time and we had some largish bills coming up a few months ahead and 100 to 120 pages worth of translation would help out.
I delivered the files as required and didn't hear anything from the customer. I called them a week later to see if everything went alright and they managed to get them to the client on time. "We haven't looked at the work yet." was their answer. They'd make work the New Year's break to let my delivery gather dust for a week.

That was the last time I worked for that customer and sent them the bill the following day. B#$%&'rds!

I hope none of you have similar horror stories to tell. This definitely has more of a Halloween ring to it than Easter.

Happy translating!
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
US/GB Apr 8, 2012

Nikki-
It is the same in US and Canadian English.
Do you celebrate...? Means customarily. Are you celebrating....? means right now, or in the near future, eg.: I'm celebrating Easter with my family this evening.

All others -
Around here we usually refer to the "Easter/Passover holidays" so as to include our Jewish friends and colleagues, many of whom are taking time to be with their families.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work over the Easter holidays?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »