Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have your work proofread by a colleague prior to submitting it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 5, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have your work proofread by a colleague prior to submitting it?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sabine Winter. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:45
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, sometimes Sep 5, 2013

But I generally work with agencies who also have other translators that do the proofreading. I only use this option when I work for direct customers.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Sep 5, 2013

It depends on the project or client. However, most of the time I don't bother, as I'm usually working with direct clients and in subject areas that I'm well versed in.

PS (a few hours later): Having said that, I quite often brainstorm colleagues or friends for help with the odd phrase or paragraph. For example, this afternoon I decided to send a two-page text I’m revising (not translating) to a friend/colleague for a second opinion on a couple of points. She actually gave me some
... See more
It depends on the project or client. However, most of the time I don't bother, as I'm usually working with direct clients and in subject areas that I'm well versed in.

PS (a few hours later): Having said that, I quite often brainstorm colleagues or friends for help with the odd phrase or paragraph. For example, this afternoon I decided to send a two-page text I’m revising (not translating) to a friend/colleague for a second opinion on a couple of points. She actually gave me some useful feedback on a couple of other minor details too, all of which has made for a better final product. This is one of the few colleagues that I do this sort of thing with frequently - we use Skype to exchange queries, comments and brainstorm each other (today I helped her out with a term in one of her texts about bathroom fittings)...

Also, on the rare occasions that I’m translating into Spanish or US English, I always get a competent native speaker to go over the text for me too, but that should go without saying.

[Edited at 2013-09-05 16:30 GMT]

Edited for "Spanish or US English"...

[Edited at 2013-09-05 16:33 GMT]
Collapse

Heather McCrae
Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
No Sep 5, 2013

I only work with agencies/clients that proofread/edit my work. As I check my work constantly during and after translation, I would not like to pay somebody else to do it again. I just would not earn enough money as that would mean ca. 4 cents per work less for me!
If another translator was happy to work with me on a mutual basis, then ok, but it would be a pain sorting it all out, especially if our work was not compatible or one of us had too much/too little work.
so, easier for the
... See more
I only work with agencies/clients that proofread/edit my work. As I check my work constantly during and after translation, I would not like to pay somebody else to do it again. I just would not earn enough money as that would mean ca. 4 cents per work less for me!
If another translator was happy to work with me on a mutual basis, then ok, but it would be a pain sorting it all out, especially if our work was not compatible or one of us had too much/too little work.
so, easier for the final check to be made by the agency/client.
Over the years, I have had agencies who couldn't care less about quality, but they very rapidly ended up in my wastepaper basket.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Almost always... Sep 5, 2013

... the only exceptions being very short texts (meaning around one page, which is extremely rare). I have an arrangement with a colleague where we provide each other with mutual assistance and cooperation.

PS My working procedure (and co
... See more
... the only exceptions being very short texts (meaning around one page, which is extremely rare). I have an arrangement with a colleague where we provide each other with mutual assistance and cooperation.

PS My working procedure (and consequently my answer) hasn't changed http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/225091-poll:_do_you_have_your_translations_proofread_by_another_person_before_delivery-page2.html
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Sep 5, 2013

Michael Harris wrote:

But I generally work with agencies who also have other translators that do the proofreading. I only use this option when I work for direct customers.

Same process here.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:45
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Sep 5, 2013

Which has been my answer in previous polls (thank you, Teresa)

My customers all have a review, proof or translation check function already in place, and they know what they are going to get from me.

Now, if a customer wants a third party to go over it with a fine-toothed comb before I deliver it to them, they have the option of paying the extra and extending the delivery date so that two people have enough time to complete their separate tasks.
This hardly happens
... See more
Which has been my answer in previous polls (thank you, Teresa)

My customers all have a review, proof or translation check function already in place, and they know what they are going to get from me.

Now, if a customer wants a third party to go over it with a fine-toothed comb before I deliver it to them, they have the option of paying the extra and extending the delivery date so that two people have enough time to complete their separate tasks.
This hardly happens over here in Japan.

You don't get both for the price of one, unless the rates are exceptional -- which they never are in technical translation.

Customers will, of course, get a crisply written translation that has been proofed against the source text and read through by yours truly.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Only if the customer pays for it Sep 5, 2013

And they rarely want to

(is what I answered last time)

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Sometimes by a professional proofreader Sep 5, 2013

if it is for publication.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It depends on the project or client Sep 5, 2013

Not when working with agencies. But for direct clients my estimates always include proofreading, take it or leave it.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Not in the habit Sep 5, 2013

I revise and proofread my work several times before delivering it the client. Most of my clients are translation agencies.

This question does smack a little of the very strange question a very young PM of a translation agency with which I do not have a relationship ask me. She asked me who checked my terminology.

I do the terminology "checks". I do the proofreading for everything except incredibly long text
... See more
I revise and proofread my work several times before delivering it the client. Most of my clients are translation agencies.

This question does smack a little of the very strange question a very young PM of a translation agency with which I do not have a relationship ask me. She asked me who checked my terminology.

I do the terminology "checks". I do the proofreading for everything except incredibly long texts. I realise that in an ideal world a further proof may be desirable, but I am not sure how much extra value this would add to the majority of texts I produce. It would certainly take longer and cost the client more.
Collapse

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Yes Sep 5, 2013

All of my translations are proof-read by a native German speaker.

Steve K.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I stand by my comments from last time too Sep 5, 2013

I think this obsession with 'proofreading' or QA (which generally means revising or meddling rather than simply proofreading) is getting to the point where it actually impairs the quality of the translation.
Real proofreading IS useful - checking for typos and omissions, and whether the target reads well for someone who has NOT seen the source.

We're professionals, so why don't clients trust us?
Why do we have to be checked by a nanny every time we deliver a job?
A
... See more
I think this obsession with 'proofreading' or QA (which generally means revising or meddling rather than simply proofreading) is getting to the point where it actually impairs the quality of the translation.
Real proofreading IS useful - checking for typos and omissions, and whether the target reads well for someone who has NOT seen the source.

We're professionals, so why don't clients trust us?
Why do we have to be checked by a nanny every time we deliver a job?
Admittedly, having played the role of the nanny/proofreader on many occasions, I can see it is necessary for some translators.

I have also seen really promising translations deteriorate badly towards the end, when the translator is tired and running out of time. I suspect I have delivered one or two like that myself.

I think we should insist on time for the first translator to do the job properly, and resist over-zealous QA, which simply steals time from the translator without adding any real value.
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, never Sep 5, 2013

I work mostly for agencies, but not always. The documents that I receive, at least, are highly complicated and I don't really think that someone could just read the original and translation side by side and "proofread" or "edit" the translation. I print out all my documents without exception for the final proofing and I'm pretty sure that I catch any small typos that may have crept in. And for an end client, I would check it one last time too.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Naw Sep 5, 2013

Nope. I'm a translator, not a 'translation service provider'. The second pair of eyes is up to the agency or client. I may ask a second opinion on a word or phrase if I'm in doubt.

[Edited at 2013-09-05 15:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have your work proofread by a colleague prior to submitting it?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »