Poll: Do you use multiple CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 8, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use multiple CAT tools?".

View the poll results »

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:38
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
1 Jun 8, 2014

My always relyable WordFast Pro.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 8, 2014

It depends on how you are you define CAT.

C is for Computer: I work using a computer, and have 2 PCs and 2 laptops so that I can can keep on working if any of them breaks down or needs updating, etc.

As for T (tools), I use WF Classic as my TM progam and GT4T as a simple copy-click-paste aid to translation, but not a [expletive deleted] panacea or subsitute for my own human skills. I also use Dragon NS as another alternative to typing.

And that's about
... See more
It depends on how you are you define CAT.

C is for Computer: I work using a computer, and have 2 PCs and 2 laptops so that I can can keep on working if any of them breaks down or needs updating, etc.

As for T (tools), I use WF Classic as my TM progam and GT4T as a simple copy-click-paste aid to translation, but not a [expletive deleted] panacea or subsitute for my own human skills. I also use Dragon NS as another alternative to typing.

And that's about it about it, unless we count the research tools and resources available online, such as Google, Wikipedia, term bases and glossaries... Not forgetting proz itself

[Edited at 2014-06-08 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:38
Portuguese to English
+ ...
1 Jun 8, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

My always relyable WordFast Pro.

... but with Dragon

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:38
English to Polish
Yes Jun 8, 2014

Daily, I use Swordfish, but sometimes there is a need/reason to use either Wordfast or OmegaT.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
German to English
+ ...
what reasons for using multiple (a question) Jun 8, 2014

Up to now have not seen a need for one in my work. That is, recently I did one job that I think might have benefited from a CAT treatment.

I'm asking the original asker of the poll how the idea of multiple tools came up - and everyone why one ever would use multiple ones. Is it that some tools are more suited to one kind of job, and other tools for another (a good reason)? Or because clients are taking over and demanding the use of tools when they should be asking for the product
... See more
Up to now have not seen a need for one in my work. That is, recently I did one job that I think might have benefited from a CAT treatment.

I'm asking the original asker of the poll how the idea of multiple tools came up - and everyone why one ever would use multiple ones. Is it that some tools are more suited to one kind of job, and other tools for another (a good reason)? Or because clients are taking over and demanding the use of tools when they should be asking for the product - not the means of producing it - so that it becomes a case of responding to client requests? (not so good a reason / scenario).
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jun 8, 2014

I only own a Trados Studio license, but I use other clients' CAT tools to which they provide me access. I guess I use 7 or 8 different CAT tools.

[Edited at 2014-06-08 15:09 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:38
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Just 1 Jun 8, 2014

Trados

I've never been asked to use anything else over here. It's the de facto standard if you do buisness with Japanese customers/clients. HTH

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, Jun 8, 2014

several, but not a the same time

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jun 8, 2014

Elías Sauza wrote:

I only own a Trados Studio license, but I use other clients' CAT tools to which they provide me access. I guess I use 7 or 8 different CAT tools.

[Edited at 2014-06-08 15:09 GMT]

The same for me, except that I don't use that many, maybe 4 or 5.

Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:38
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes Jun 9, 2014

Across PE and Studio 2014.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Jun 9, 2014

Wordfast for most jobs, MemoQ for one particular client, a web-based one (XTM) for another client.
Wordfast is the only one I own a licence for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use multiple CAT tools?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »