Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sara Maghini
Sara Maghini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:38
English to Italian
+ ...
With Mary Worby on this Feb 27, 2015

Exactly the same !

Mary Worby wrote:

I use my phone for receiving work calls and e-mails, checking word counts and reviewing files before accepting work, etc. but I wouldn't dream of using it for actual translation work. (In the absence of a Trados app, of course)

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:38
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Feb 27, 2015

Like Mary, for checking and answering email and reviewing and word counting of texts.
I am on Southern European Time, so practically all my clients (Nothern Europe, UK and US) have later working days that I do, so it is really essential to be able to respond to them when I'm no longer shackled to my computer.

Christelle P
Christelle P  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
My smartphone = comfort and flexibility Feb 27, 2015

without my smartphone, I would have lost several clients because I am often out in town in the afternoon and I don't work much in the morning. I do most of my work after 16h and until late at night.

I use my phone for emails, to discuss availability, check the doc attached etc... I don't systematically reply immediately if I'm out, just like I sometime take an hour or so to reply to an email when I'm in front of the computer. But at least I know what has been received and I can adj
... See more
without my smartphone, I would have lost several clients because I am often out in town in the afternoon and I don't work much in the morning. I do most of my work after 16h and until late at night.

I use my phone for emails, to discuss availability, check the doc attached etc... I don't systematically reply immediately if I'm out, just like I sometime take an hour or so to reply to an email when I'm in front of the computer. But at least I know what has been received and I can adjust and come back to the office earlier if needed for example...
I also use the calendar a lot and set many reminders. I like to have a different handbag according to what I wear and I wouldn't be able to fit a notebook in each of them. My phone fits everywhere though and it synchronises with my laptop / desktop / tablet, I don't have to worry about having lost a post-it or taken a note at the back of a letter.

As someone noted earlier, it is also convenient to communicate with clients who are not on the same time zone. With the smartphone, I'm not trapped at home, I can be out in the evening and take 10 min to confirm a job or reply to availability question that they would send. And, when I'm back home, I only turn the computer on if needed. Otherwise I'll start the job the following day having already cleared all points with the client. He can go to bed without having to worry. There is no waste of time.
I have already informed those clients that I'm checking my emails until 00h30, after that, it's "don't disturb mode" for everyone. Having a smartphone doesn't make me a slave, I can still disconnect and take time off but I feel more safe and I'm less anxious, I no longer worry that I could be missing an opportunity and the question : "can I stay out longer or is there additional work waiting for me at home ?" is now irrelevant, I know exactly what amount of work is on my plate.

My smartphone has made my life a lot more comfortable.
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For e-mail Feb 27, 2015

I use my smartphone for reading emails and very seldom for replying, if I ever step out of my home office.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'd be lost without it Feb 27, 2015

Here, where internet connection is so fickle, my smartphone has saved my life several times. The mobile data rates are brutal, but it pays off by being reachable by clients 24/7.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:38
Danish to English
+ ...
Why do you want to be that accessible?? Feb 27, 2015

Alberto Montpellier wrote:

... my smartphone has saved my life several times. The mobile data rates are brutal, but it pays off by being reachable by clients 24/7.

Really? Is it a matter of life and death for you to be accessible 24/7?

Are you sure it does not add to life-threatening factors such as stress to be that available?

The mind boggles...

Good clients respect normal working hours...

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 27, 2015

Aside from checking emails, I like using its voice recognition for simple translations. I have been able to complete small translations using only my phone, but it's still easier and faster to just type them out (save for those dictated translations). It's just another tool

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
both Android and iPhone Feb 27, 2015

Mary Worby wrote:

Surely, whether a phone is smart or dumb, it gets used in some way for work-related tasks? Or does any of us have a mobile purely for social reasons?

I use my phone for receiving work calls and e-mails, checking word counts and reviewing files before accepting work, etc. but I wouldn't dream of using it for actual translation work. (In the absence of a Trados app, of course)

I agree with Mary, however, I use the smartphone for receiving urgent messages via social sites (both Facebook and Twitter). Sometimes I check my e-mails on the phone but it does not work well due my worsening vision.

Mostly I use the office phone (Android) for a first contact and after we finished the conversation, I can send and automatic SMS with my name, business numbers and address and GPS coordinates. It works and I found a client app, if you looking for a translation office nearby, the app leads you to us. I loved this Android but since I received an iPhone (this is my private phone) from my son, I hardly imagine my life without it. It really made my life easier.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
@Gitte Hovedskov Feb 27, 2015

Alberto Montpellier wrote:
... my smartphone has saved my life several times. The mobile data rates are brutal, but it pays off by being reachable by clients 24/7.

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:
Really? Is it a matter of life and death for you to be accessible 24/7?
Are you sure it does not add to life-threatening factors such as stress to be that available?
The mind boggles...
Good clients respect normal working hours...

Dear Colleague, some of us (like me) are night owls. Some clients are looking for ASAP translations - they are not bad, just... sometimes it may happen. The bigger part of the industry works within "normal" working hours and a smaller part made a decision to be available 24/7.
I did it in the beginning, because there was no one office after 18.00 in my city. Since then I simply get used to it. I am divorced and I live with my children. I needed money to raise them.

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:38
French to English
But of course Feb 27, 2015

If I didn't have email on my phone I would never leave the house.

Besides, how else are you going to justify the ridiculous monthly charge? Or deduct any of it on your taxes?

I'm not a slave to it by any means, but given the different time zones of my clients, I'd be a fool not to be reachable whenever. Of course it's set to "Do Not Disturb" at night.

Daniela Slankamenac
Daniela Slankamenac  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
Yes Feb 27, 2015

... to check e-mails and and to write short replies, if necessary.
Apropos, is Proz thinking of an App?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Waiting on the ProZ app Feb 28, 2015

Daniela Slankamenac wrote:

... to check e-mails and and to write short replies, if necessary.
Apropos, is Proz thinking of an App?

It's been mentioned but not materialised.

I'm surprised so many have said they don't have a smartphone. I'm far from being a geek at almost-60, but I wouldn't be without one. Not that I have any intention of letting clients believe I'm available 24/7, but I do like to be informed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »