Poll: Are you "flagging" or "filtering" any KudoZ askers?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 8, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you "flagging" or "filtering" any KudoZ askers?".

View the poll here

Explanation: There is a new KudoZ feature (accessible through the "beta" design or your dashboard) that allows you to "flag" answerers, so that whenever they ask a question, you are notified, regardless of your other notification pref
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you "flagging" or "filtering" any KudoZ askers?".

View the poll here

Explanation: There is a new KudoZ feature (accessible through the "beta" design or your dashboard) that allows you to "flag" answerers, so that whenever they ask a question, you are notified, regardless of your other notification preferences.

By the same token, you can "filter" askers, so that if there are members whose questions you do not want, you will not be sent them--regardless of your other notification preferences.

Depending on the settings you enter into the KudoZ search page -- at http://www.proz.com/kudoz , your filters and flags will also affect the questions you see when you browse the site.

For more information, see: http://www.proz.com/dashboard
Collapse

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only for plats Sep 8, 2005

If I'm not mistaken, this is an only for platinums feature, so I don't know if this poll makes any sense as it is, since non-plats will obviously answer "no".

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:19
SITE FOUNDER
Non-platinums may flag and filter, but they can not search by flags and filters Sep 8, 2005

I have not retested this, but the way it should work is this: non-platinum members can use flags and filters, which should have the desired affect on email notifications. Furthermore, questions asked by filtered askers will not appear when visiting the list of questions, or when "rifling" through results using prev/next arrows.

What platinum members can do that non-platinums can not is pull up, and rifle through, a list of all the questions asked specifically by flagged askers (or e
... See more
I have not retested this, but the way it should work is this: non-platinum members can use flags and filters, which should have the desired affect on email notifications. Furthermore, questions asked by filtered askers will not appear when visiting the list of questions, or when "rifling" through results using prev/next arrows.

What platinum members can do that non-platinums can not is pull up, and rifle through, a list of all the questions asked specifically by flagged askers (or even, for reference purposes, all of those asked by filtered askers.)
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Flagged, but filtered none Sep 9, 2005

I don't apply any sort of filters -if I don't count my ironclad memory (we all have it, right?)- but I have flagged a couple of colleagues. On the basis of -more or less- these criteria: 1. I know those people are good researchers who would come to Kudoz only as a last resort, or in cases where they would need a second opinion or different ways of seeing; so their questions would be a real challenge, and very likely to bear good discussion. 2. They have good Kudoz etiquette. 3. I simply like the... See more
I don't apply any sort of filters -if I don't count my ironclad memory (we all have it, right?)- but I have flagged a couple of colleagues. On the basis of -more or less- these criteria: 1. I know those people are good researchers who would come to Kudoz only as a last resort, or in cases where they would need a second opinion or different ways of seeing; so their questions would be a real challenge, and very likely to bear good discussion. 2. They have good Kudoz etiquette. 3. I simply like them (so they would have a priority where I could help - and why miss the opportunity to say hi to friends?)Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
both flagging and filtering Sep 9, 2005

I have been using both the flag and filter options, and was curious about how many other people use them.

My reasons for flagging certain askers are pretty much the same as Xola's. I have filtered a number of others who consistently post questions without even bothering to look in a dictionary, give very little context and don't respond to requests for additional info., leave questions open and let the robot grade them, often choose the wrong answer (sometimes it seems this is al
... See more
I have been using both the flag and filter options, and was curious about how many other people use them.

My reasons for flagging certain askers are pretty much the same as Xola's. I have filtered a number of others who consistently post questions without even bothering to look in a dictionary, give very little context and don't respond to requests for additional info., leave questions open and let the robot grade them, often choose the wrong answer (sometimes it seems this is almost deliberate), close questions without grading because "answer found elsewhere" but don't bother to say what the answer they found was, etc.

Overall, this lets me focus on questions I'm likely to answer and makes my e-mail notifications and the Kudoz list more manageable and effective.

Thanks for making this feature available.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 13:19
Member (2003)
French to English
I have not used this because when I try to save my settings it does not work Sep 19, 2005

Otherwise, I would most definitely use this feature.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I flag and filter plenty. Mar 24, 2009

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

Are you "flagging" or "filtering" askers...

I use both features. But I'm sure site staff can already see which members use flag/filter.

No?

Cilian (3+ years later)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you "flagging" or "filtering" any KudoZ askers?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »