Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you live in Europe, where do you live?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not to Belgium Nov 11, 2005

Kimmy wrote:

live in the lowest paid part of Europe (AKA ITALY, Spain and the like)

Shall we organise a moev EN MASSE??????

To Beligium say?

Kim

HO Hum, back to my debt collecting and tariff haggling day!

Belgium must be one of the worst countries for those working as self-employed. The cost of living is very high, you don't have to earn much (way below US poverty-line earnings) to find yourself paying 55% in taxes,the 'social-security' charges are horrendous and as a self-employed person you will get basically nothing back in return. I'd look at one of the neighbouring countries or try a low-tax country like Portugal. Or stay in Italy, since moving to Belgium would be an 'out of the frying pan, into the fire' move. IMHO

[Edited at 2005-11-11 12:34]

Arabella K-
Arabella K-
Local time: 07:49
Arabic to English
+ ...
what about Russia ? Nov 11, 2005

I think there should have been a stand-alone option for Russia, just to see how much of the "15% from Elsewhere in Europe" are from Russia, taking into consideration its very large area.

Writeawayrobably you are right: Why would I go to a country where I pay higher taxes ?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:49
Italian to English
+ ...
Definitely not Belgium... Nov 16, 2005

writeaway wrote:

Belgium must be one of the worst countries for those working as self-employed. The cost of living is very high, you don't have to earn much (way below US poverty-line earnings) to find yourself paying 55% in taxes,the 'social-security' charges are horrendous and as a self-employed person you will get basically nothing back in return. I'd look at one of the neighbouring countries or try a low-tax country like Portugal. Or stay in Italy, since moving to Belgium would be an 'out of the frying pan, into the fire' move. IMHO

[Edited at 2005-11-11 12:34]

A friend of mine lived there with her husband (both working as freelance translators) for several years. She said that as a two-income household, they were paying so much tax that they would have seen more money come in if she'd stopped working, sacked the cleaner and done her own cleaning!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you live in Europe, where do you live?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »