Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What's your main reason for answering KudoZ questions?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 12, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What's your main reason for answering KudoZ questions?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mihai Badea

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information,
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What's your main reason for answering KudoZ questions?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mihai Badea

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Yet again, all of the above Nov 12, 2005

Again, the option is missing.
You don't spend hours in Kudoz just for fun, it would be a waste of time, but it's good fun. It does help you improve your skills, but there are better ways, like studying. You like having your profile pushed up in the directory, but all the time invested is not worthwhile for that purpose alone. You like helping others, but sometimes you think you should keep that time and effort for yourself. You like grabbing points, even though you think they're not a goo
... See more
You don't spend hours in Kudoz just for fun, it would be a waste of time, but it's good fun. It does help you improve your skills, but there are better ways, like studying. You like having your profile pushed up in the directory, but all the time invested is not worthwhile for that purpose alone. You like helping others, but sometimes you think you should keep that time and effort for yourself. You like grabbing points, even though you think they're not a good indicator of how good a translator is...
At the end of the day, it's all those reasons put together that make me play kudoz.

[Edited at 2005-11-12 15:54]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other: all of the above Nov 12, 2005

I answered OTHER meaning ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Please, check my previous postings on the subject:
http://www.proz.com/post/276952#276952
... See more
I answered OTHER meaning ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Please, check my previous postings on the subject:
http://www.proz.com/post/276952#276952
http://www.proz.com/post/276289#276289
http://www.proz.com/post/275632#275632
http://www.proz.com/post/275754#275754
http://www.proz.com/post/275764#275764
http://www.proz.com/post/275767#275767

And also, read this wonderfully written, witty and thorough article http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/509/1/Con fessions by Mats Wiman.

Best,
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Nov 12, 2005

Javier Herrera wrote:

You don't spend hours in Kudoz just for fun, it would be a waste of time, but it's good fun. It does help you improve your skills, but there are better ways, like studying. You like having your profile pushed up in the directory, but all the time invested is not worthwhile for that purpose alone. You like helping others, but sometimes you think you should keep that time and effort for yourself. You like grabbing point, even though you think they're not a good indicator of how good a translator is...
At the end of the day, it's all those reasons put together that make me play kudoz.

I forgot to say that JAVI has said everything there is to say about this. I strongly support all his comments.
Saludos Javier.

Walter

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:22
Italian to Danish
+ ...
All said! Nov 12, 2005

I came here to explain why I had chosen "Other" - but I see I won't have to waste my keyboard on that, Javier has put it excellently. For me it's only a question of having some spare time, which happens ever so seldom, and then I have fun while helping others and improving my own knowledge, even catching a few points now and then...

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Summed up in a nutshell Nov 12, 2005

Javier Herrera wrote:

You don't spend hours in Kudoz just for fun, it would be a waste of time, but it's good fun. It does help you improve your skills, but there are better ways, like studying. You like having your profile pushed up in the directory, but all the time invested is not worthwhile for that purpose alone. You like helping others, but sometimes you think you should keep that time and effort for yourself. You like grabbing points, even though you think they're not a good indicator of how good a translator is...

[Edited at 2005-11-12 15:54]

there can't be just one reason. sometimes we answer because of a reason, sometimes despite a reason. and sometimes we answer just for the heck of it-does there have to be a reason for everything?

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wavered long between three options Nov 12, 2005

I *completely* agree with what has been said above. However, after wavering between (or "among," for the purists) "help colleagues," "points," and "other," I finally opted for "get points" and I want to explain why.

It sounds crass to want points. But points are what give me credibility on the site. And points (plus the Browniz, which few people see) show my colleagues that I'm doing my share; I'm not just popping in and asking for help when I'm stuck.

I enjoy getting p
... See more
I *completely* agree with what has been said above. However, after wavering between (or "among," for the purists) "help colleagues," "points," and "other," I finally opted for "get points" and I want to explain why.

It sounds crass to want points. But points are what give me credibility on the site. And points (plus the Browniz, which few people see) show my colleagues that I'm doing my share; I'm not just popping in and asking for help when I'm stuck.

I enjoy getting points and don't understand why some ProZers want to use the "not for points" option with their questions. But that's one of the great advantages of ProZ; I get to dialog in many ways (forums, KudoZ, emails via Profile page, articles) with people who think differently from me on many topics but who share a love for language and for our fascinating profession.
Collapse

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:22
Italian to English
other Nov 12, 2005

for "all the above"

espurna
espurna
Spain
Local time: 22:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Main" Nov 12, 2005

Of course, there are many reasons to "play" with Kudoz qestions, all of them acceptable. But the poll does not ask for our reason, but for our "main" reason. Having this in mind, I think ther is not so difficult choosing just one.

Joaquim

Rosa Cabral
Rosa Cabral  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
combination of things Nov 13, 2005

For me, it is a challenge and I love that and also I like helping anyone who needs it... I feel a sence of personal satisfaction when I can be useful. That is its own reward. Afterall, translating is about growing with the job... it is constant.

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
all are main Nov 13, 2005

espurna wrote:

Of course, there are many reasons to "play" with Kudoz qestions, all of them acceptable. But the poll does not ask for our reason, but for our "main" reason. Having this in mind, I think ther is not so difficult choosing just one.

Joaquim

As Javier and many others - including myself - already stated, all - or at least- several of those options are the "main" reasons, at the same level. Hard to say which is first, which is second and so on.
I humbly suggest you to read all these previous postings, not only the titles, but the whole text in every posting. So you can understand what we said and why we said it.
Best,
WL

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Directory & Points are very similar Nov 13, 2005

It seems to me that "improving my directory position" and "earning points" are two wordings for the same objective.

Currently at 17.8% and 11.4% respectively, the cumulated score of about 29% puts this reason very close to the lead, currently held by "helping colleagues" with 30.6%

bye
Gianfranco

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good point. Earning pts improves directory position. Nov 13, 2005

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

It seems to me that "improving my directory position" and "earning points" are two wordings for the same objective.

Currently at 17.8% and 11.4% respectively, the cumulated score of about 29% puts this reason very close to the lead, currently held by "helping colleagues" with 30.6%

bye
Gianfranco

Very good point, Gianfranco. I wondered about that. Since I'm not Platinum yet, my directory position is low, but points improve it.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not conclusive, but... Nov 13, 2005

After reading what Mats and Javier have said, I agree with both of them. The survey is not conclusive because our motives are seldom so simple.

For me it is just a matter of proving what I can do; not as a matter of competition against anyone else, only with myself. I enjoy helping out and it would be nice to think that some of my suggestions could gain a life of their own as my contribution to the world.

We learn and learn, and it is also quite addictive.

... See more
After reading what Mats and Javier have said, I agree with both of them. The survey is not conclusive because our motives are seldom so simple.

For me it is just a matter of proving what I can do; not as a matter of competition against anyone else, only with myself. I enjoy helping out and it would be nice to think that some of my suggestions could gain a life of their own as my contribution to the world.

We learn and learn, and it is also quite addictive.

And of course Kudoz points can get me a cup of coffee at any Starbucks for 1,000 + US$ 2.00 any day of the week.

But nothing can compare with our friendships with our colleagues, whether virtual or personal, that is the greatest treasure we can gain. We work in isolation, but now we can become united.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I really like what Henry wrote Nov 13, 2005

That was so nice, Henry!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What's your main reason for answering KudoZ questions?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »