Poll: Do you make regular use of speech recognition software in your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 23, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you make regular use of speech recognition software in your work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariana Idiart

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you make regular use of speech recognition software in your work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mariana Idiart

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 03:51
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Benefits of speech recognition Dec 24, 2005

I am an avid user of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 8.0. Though there are a few pitfalls to beware of, it can be of great use. You can dictate very quickly and can also automate several functions of TM software such as moving to different rows, adding terminology to dictionaries, etc.

Reed D. James

A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 17:51
Preferred vs Professional DNS 8 Dec 25, 2005

Reed D. James wrote:

I am an avid user of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 8.0.
Reed D. James

Hi Reed,

I'm thinking of upgrading, so I wanted to ask you, do you find that the professional version has other important features for translators that the preferred version doesn't have?

Cheers,
a.

[Edited at 2006-01-13 04:55]

Ballistic
Ballistic  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Relief from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Dec 25, 2005

I use it to give arm, wrist and fingers a break. Also, when suffering from the odd spell of "translator's block", I find that using speech recognition software provides me with the impetus to get the motor going again. The "learning" and "curiosity" factor help to overcome the lack of motivation and, before you know it, you're up and running again!

Other than that, I'm not a regular user.

Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 13:21
English to Hindi
+ ...
Whether this software is available for free? Dec 25, 2005

I'd be thankful if someone could suggest a link from where the speech recognition software may be downloaded for free.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cost of Speech Recognition Software Dec 26, 2005

Sanjiv Sadana wrote:

I'd be thankful if someone could suggest a link from where the speech recognition software may be downloaded for free.

I doubt that it would be available for free. Millions of dollars went into developing it, including a lot of funding by the US Government through DARPA. While these are "sunk costs," it's only right that inventors who take huge risks to Ccommercialize their products, as Dragon's Jim and Janet Baker did, should recover their investment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you make regular use of speech recognition software in your work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »