Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How did you spend December 25?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 26, 2005

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How did you spend Christmas?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nina Khmielnitzky

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How did you spend Christmas?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nina Khmielnitzky

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-12-26 19:30]
Collapse

Serkan Doğan
Serkan Doğan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:07
Turkish to English
+ ...
New year Dec 26, 2005

It would be good to spend it with friends & family. Working in such a day makes it rather regular. I prefer to staying away from computer, at least in Christmas. I hope it will be a better commencement for 01st Jan.

Mariette van Heteren
Mariette van Heteren
Netherlands
Local time: 15:07
Member (2009)
German to Dutch
+ ...
who is online? Dec 26, 2005

I think is not clever to ask this poll on chrismas days! For only working or little bit working people are online! 20% working is not realistic, I think!!
Even normal days this pols are not a representive aslect selection!
But nevertheless... merry chrismas and a happy new year!

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
The poll misses at least two crucial options... Dec 26, 2005

1) There are many people from many countries, cultures and faiths of the world here at ProZ. Not all people are Christians, so why not ask "How did you spend Purim?", or "Ramadan", or "the Summer Solstice"?

2) Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas on January 7th.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:07
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Kirill Dec 26, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

1) There are many people from many countries, cultures and faiths of the world here at ProZ. Not all people are Christians, so why not ask "How did you spend Purim?", or "Ramadan", or "the Summer Solstice"?

The poll does not make assumptions as to one's faith - it only assumes familiarity with the Christmas holiday. I felt the poll was acceptable on this count and vetted it because I estimate that most of our membership would be familiar with the Christmas holiday and would understand it to fall on December 25.

If one wants to know the activity level of the industry on what is known to be a popular holiday, this poll would provide some insight.
2) Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas on January 7th.

Point taken. I have edited the poll to say "December 25".

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Christmas Eve Dec 26, 2005

For most of us, here in Peru, the important gathering takes place on Christmas Eve.
This year we finished dinner at 11:45, sang carols in front of the Nativity scene, and at midnight we hug each other saying Merry Christmas!! Then we opened gifts, talked and laughed.
December 25 is a quiet day for everybody, there was no noise outside, and in my case, I worked all day to meet a deadline on the 30th.

Pamela

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Henry :) Dec 26, 2005

Henry wrote:
I have edited the poll to say "December 25".

I would be great to rename this forum thread, too. This is really great that ProZ keeps it's "no politics, no religion" rules and doesn't grant Westerners' views any advantage over other faiths, traditions and cultures.

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Strange to react this way Dec 26, 2005

U think this poll is only an indication to see how people for whom Christmas means something have spent it. It has no religious connotation except in the fact of accepting that Christmas exists for certain people, but not denying that other people have other habits... Point with that...

Poor me I spent Christmas part working and part with my family..and it will be the same during this whole week. I even wonder sometimes where all translators have vanished...If somebody knows, just a
... See more
U think this poll is only an indication to see how people for whom Christmas means something have spent it. It has no religious connotation except in the fact of accepting that Christmas exists for certain people, but not denying that other people have other habits... Point with that...

Poor me I spent Christmas part working and part with my family..and it will be the same during this whole week. I even wonder sometimes where all translators have vanished...If somebody knows, just ask them to come back...please..

Happy New Year...

Martine
Collapse

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 13:07
German to English
+ ...
Dec. 25 is a widely observed public holiday, regardless of religion. Dec 26, 2005

Perhaps this poll would have been best addressed only to members living in those countries where Dec. 25 is a national holiday. The history of why this date is a holiday is rather irrelevant to the fact that it is probably the single most widely observed day off work worldwide (if anyone knows better, it would be interesting if they could share this with us).

This fact makes it a very useful date for assessing whether translators are more, or less likely to stop work for days off th
... See more
Perhaps this poll would have been best addressed only to members living in those countries where Dec. 25 is a national holiday. The history of why this date is a holiday is rather irrelevant to the fact that it is probably the single most widely observed day off work worldwide (if anyone knows better, it would be interesting if they could share this with us).

This fact makes it a very useful date for assessing whether translators are more, or less likely to stop work for days off that many other people take - rather than other national holidays which vary from country to country. For example, a bank holiday in Italy is irrelevant to an agent in the UK who wants work done. The pressure to engage in certain family pursuits at Christmas also makes it much more likely that people will not work on this day - and the question, properly raised, could tell us a lot about how well translators manage their work/life balance.

Unfortunately, Dec. 25 was on a Sunday this year, making it rather less useful than usual, since the custom of shifting weekend public holidays to weekdays varies from country to country. Next year, December 25 is on a Monday, and I would suggest repeating the poll next year, and addressing the question exclusively to translators working in countries where this is a public holiday.
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
No James Dec 26, 2005

It's not widely accepted, it's accepted in the Western world, and not even in all European countries. The `Western-centrism' forces us to think so, nothing more.

Anyway I don't see any reason (except astronomical) to make the day special among 365 or 366 days of the year. Moreover, from the astronomical point of view the winter solstice is usually 21-23th December. My experience shows that other local holiday greetings are prohibited even at local SC forums, so why make exception fo
... See more
It's not widely accepted, it's accepted in the Western world, and not even in all European countries. The `Western-centrism' forces us to think so, nothing more.

Anyway I don't see any reason (except astronomical) to make the day special among 365 or 366 days of the year. Moreover, from the astronomical point of view the winter solstice is usually 21-23th December. My experience shows that other local holiday greetings are prohibited even at local SC forums, so why make exception for Christmas on this site in general? I just wonder if a poll "How did you spend 28th December?" or "14th of May" is OK?
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In Holland Christmas is two days, December 25 and 26, Dec 26, 2005

but I have to admit that my Christmas cheer at this very moment includes the idea that you find arond the manger in the Bethlehem pub a work horse ... me, slogging behind my computer.
This year lots and lots of work the last week of December.

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Regarding the date, and answers missing Dec 26, 2005

I don't celebrate Christmas, but anyhow, it is a holiday (free days, no work, no school...)

For me, it is in the middle of Winter holidays, and you were missing as an answer, "off on vacation"!!! Actually, I'm off from Dec 15 till Jan 8 (advantage of being a translator, I can take my work with me)

I am spending these days on a family vacation, together with relatives who live in different places but also have these days off. this is when we are able to get together...<
... See more
I don't celebrate Christmas, but anyhow, it is a holiday (free days, no work, no school...)

For me, it is in the middle of Winter holidays, and you were missing as an answer, "off on vacation"!!! Actually, I'm off from Dec 15 till Jan 8 (advantage of being a translator, I can take my work with me)

I am spending these days on a family vacation, together with relatives who live in different places but also have these days off. this is when we are able to get together...

I send all of you regards from sunny Acapulco (and a happy Hanuka, sunday, and whatever else happens on these days for EVERYONE)

Saludos y felicidades...

Heidi

[Edited at 2005-12-26 19:31]
Collapse

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 13:07
German to English
+ ...
December 25 western-centric??? Dec 26, 2005

Kirill,
December 25 is a national holiday in the following countries:

Albania, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbadua, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Democratic Republic of
... See more
Kirill,
December 25 is a national holiday in the following countries:

Albania, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbadua, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroes Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gabon, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Holy See (Vatican), Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia, Monaco, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philipines, Pitcairn Islands, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Reunion, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Pierre et Miquelon, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tanzania, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, Uruguay, United States of America, Vanuatu, Venezuela, US Virgin Islands, Wallis and Futuna, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Kirill, I note Ukraine is conspicuously absent from this list, but I stand by my comment that Dec. 25 is probably the most widely observed public holiday in the world.

Please have a good look through that list - can you honestly call Dec. 25 a "western-centric" holiday?

The purpose of the poll is to see how many translators are working on this widely-observed holiday. The fact the holiday is widely (albeit not universally) observed, is what makes the date interesting from the point of view of this poll - this interest is not religious or western centric. We might well address a similar poll asking translators in Middle Eastern countries if they worked on Eid.

Another good candidate date for this kind of poll would be new year (Jan 1) - unfortunately, the next one is again on a Sunday (a widely, but certainly not globally-observed day of rest).

[Edited at 2005-12-26 19:58]
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, Europe, the USA and polically influenced countries Dec 26, 2005

James, me personally, I have nothing against Christmas, be it Orthodox or Catholic or Protestant. I have nothing againts Purim or the sacred month of Ramadan. But according to ProZ rules, any topic which found controversial by any member due to political or religious reasons may be considered to be deleted.

World religions are my specializations, so I don't want to choose - and I don't - among so many traditions and faiths. For me, all faiths are positive.

But ProZ rule
... See more
James, me personally, I have nothing against Christmas, be it Orthodox or Catholic or Protestant. I have nothing againts Purim or the sacred month of Ramadan. But according to ProZ rules, any topic which found controversial by any member due to political or religious reasons may be considered to be deleted.

World religions are my specializations, so I don't want to choose - and I don't - among so many traditions and faiths. For me, all faiths are positive.

But ProZ rules explicitly prohibit any political or religious bias. I've lost my two dear friends during a hot discussion on a similar topic in Russian SC in May. It was a real loss for ProZ. So now I want to ask: are we biased to `any' holiday? Are we allowed to greet our fellows with any holidays or only with those which are allowed `from above'? If so why Christmas greetings are OK - now, when even the president Bush avoid them?

I don't want to start a discussion with you personally, I just remember the case when my colleagues from the former USSR posted at Russian forum really innocent and touching greetings on the 9th of May, the Victory Day... The result was that two very nice and very knowledgeable people deleted their profiles. And all of us were officially warned that any holiday greetings are prohibited at proZ. So now - I just wonder why Christmas is an exception?..

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

[Edited at 2005-12-26 20:34]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How did you spend December 25?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »