Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you feel threatened by machine translation software?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 3, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you feel threatened by machine translation software?".

This poll was originally submitted by AngelaMaria

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more inform
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you feel threatened by machine translation software?".

This poll was originally submitted by AngelaMaria

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:56
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
11.2% voted YES already. Jan 3, 2006

This is scary. Why?

Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Local time: 08:56
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
The speed of technology is scary Jan 3, 2006

With all the things we have accomplished so far, don't you think that we may be close to the development of good machine translation?

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
All technology can never replace a human brain. Jan 3, 2006

No software ever can outsmart the people who developed it. So far we haven't taught our cars to drive by themselves. As long as there isn't any software offering "localizing factor", "humor factor", "soul factor", "ethics factor", (the list is endless), I am not too worried. Not to mention "personal style".

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there! Done that! Jan 3, 2006

I postedited machine translation for over 10 years as part of my full-time job, and one day, lo and behold, I discovered that it didn't help me at all. I'm sure it will eventually die on the vine for several reasons:

(1) Without postediting by a good translator, it's too scrambled to use for most purposes.
(2) Postediting is more error-prone than translation-from-scratch. All kinds of serious mistakes can creep in unnoticed by anyone but a professional translator.
(3) Po
... See more
I postedited machine translation for over 10 years as part of my full-time job, and one day, lo and behold, I discovered that it didn't help me at all. I'm sure it will eventually die on the vine for several reasons:

(1) Without postediting by a good translator, it's too scrambled to use for most purposes.
(2) Postediting is more error-prone than translation-from-scratch. All kinds of serious mistakes can creep in unnoticed by anyone but a professional translator.
(3) Postediting is both labor-intensive and SLOWER that translation-from-scratch.

The few jobs for which it is cost-efficient (mainly multi-million-word technical manuals) are boring and repetitive -- not fun, and they don't pay very well.

[Edited at 2006-01-04 05:49]

[Edited at 2006-01-04 05:52]

[Edited at 2006-01-04 06:34]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you, Muriel! Jan 3, 2006

for this statement!

You summarized it brilliantly.

Best regards,

Nicole

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Muriel Vasconcellos said it all Jan 3, 2006

.. well nearly.

I work with one of the "smallest of the world's major languages", and I can see translators will be needed for many generations to come.

The population of Denmark is about 5 million, and then there are people outside Denmark who understand Danish ... but it is still a relatively rare language.

Resources are spent on it - not enough according to the authorities, but the EU helps and it is a rich country with a well-educated population, and th
... See more
.. well nearly.

I work with one of the "smallest of the world's major languages", and I can see translators will be needed for many generations to come.

The population of Denmark is about 5 million, and then there are people outside Denmark who understand Danish ... but it is still a relatively rare language.

Resources are spent on it - not enough according to the authorities, but the EU helps and it is a rich country with a well-educated population, and the language is still actively used in all domains.

Machine translation is a catastrophe or a joke, in spite of all this.

People travel, take part of their education in other countries, learn foreign languages as a matter of course, and then 'play' with their own language as every generation has done since the dawn of humanity...

Words are invented, meanings shift, and the best translators I know are very modest people who are aware that they can't keep up, so they avoid the worst errors.

Machines can never predict where language is going next year, so they will always be a step behind the humans.

And if the computer industry does manage to make machines that can translate between the major languages with resources, they will still need to work through all the permutations and combinations with minor languages, which will NOT all die out... and by then the major languages like English will be fragmented and developed into something the first generation of machines can't recognise reliably ...

There are simply not enough computer geeks to program it, folks. Straight translating is more fun than juggling with the digital calculations. If you allow for a few farmers to grow food, builders and engineers to build houses and computers ...

No, I don't feel threatened - Happy Translating!

Here's a link to another forum:
http://www.proz.com/topic/40815

and for those who can understand Danish -
http://www.proz.com/topic/33308

Don't worry if you can't understand the supposed Danish translation - most Danes would be really challenged too

[Edited at 2006-01-04 07:13]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not yet Jan 3, 2006

Not yet. But by 2020 the integration of office, dragon dictate,CAT and M.T. and linguistic databases will be a fact.
What then?

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
To Williamson: Jan 3, 2006

Still not worried. It is YOU, who is going to use those tools to ease and speed up work. They won't and can not replace you.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
To Williamson, bis Jan 3, 2006

Williamson wrote:

Not yet. But by 2020 the integration of office, dragon dictate,CAT and M.T. and linguistic databases will be a fact.
What then?
All those tools are fine. they will help us do better work, and that's great! But I believe that machine translation, on the opposite, neither helps us nor threatens us.
I fully agree with Nicole, Muriel and even more with Christine: surely someday machine translation will be improved, but this is not soon to come and then it'll be only for the most common and similar languages, such as English-French. Considering what currently exists and the structure of languages, I find it hard to imagine any good machine translation for my other pairs.

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Linguistic databases Jan 3, 2006

Williamson wrote:

What then?

Imagine a machine trying to surf through KudoZ?

They have already built machines to play against the greatest chessmasters of the world, but machine translation is far from matching even limited translators. This is how complex languages are.

Current technology doesn't scare me. I am sure mankind will get there, eventually, but it will need a major breakthrough, maybe nanotechnology? Who knows? All I know is I won't be around (earth).

Fred

Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I don't feel threatened but... Jan 3, 2006

many people (not translators naturally)"believe" in their power. I mean that unfortunately there are lots of people I know that translate their site by means of a machine translation software. I've tried many times to explain them that it can be a good translation at all, but my advice doesn't seem to work!!
Actually they don't know English (as well another foreign language) and they simply see their site is translated.

this fact scares me and not the softwares...

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Female is beautiful Jan 3, 2006

especially if it is a female robot, which looks like a real woman.
Meet Actroid, a Japanese "female" robot complete with kimono and equipped with speech recognition in four languages.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4577632.stm

Add that to improved technology and the role of translators might be reduced to... In 1980 the first pc had 16kb ram... and how m
... See more
especially if it is a female robot, which looks like a real woman.
Meet Actroid, a Japanese "female" robot complete with kimono and equipped with speech recognition in four languages.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4577632.stm

Add that to improved technology and the role of translators might be reduced to... In 1980 the first pc had 16kb ram... and how much is that today...

[Edited at 2006-01-03 16:29]
Collapse

nickname (X)
nickname (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
nice subject Jan 3, 2006

Nicole Schnell wrote:

This is scary. Why?

I set up my own activity as freelancer less than one year ago and I'm not at all scared or somehow threatened; there is a huge difference between a translation done by a machine and another one done by an individual. The contribution we give to the work is the element that makes the difference.
I'm rather puzzled by the yes percentage.

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
not threatened either Jan 3, 2006

Romina 74 wrote:

many people (not translators naturally)"believe" in their power. I mean that unfortunately there are lots of people I know that translate their site by means of a machine translation software. I've tried many times to explain them that it can be a good translation at all, but my advice doesn't seem to work!!
Actually they don't know English (as well another foreign language) and they simply see their site is translated.

this fact scares me and not the softwares...

you can have them translate something from English back to their native language to help them see the quality (or lack of actually) of the translation. That's what I do when I want to make someone realize that machine translation is good only if you want to get the general meaning of the text. And when someone asks me to review a text that has obviously been translated with some software, I ask them for the original version and make it clear that the job will be more expensive if I don't have it because I will need to try and figure out what the original text was. So far it's worked, and I think most non-translators who have talked to me about this issue have lost their faith in machine translation (for quality work that is).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel threatened by machine translation software?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »