Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you consider yourself a workaholic?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 21, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you consider yourself a workaholic?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Surrounded by Workaholics Feb 21, 2006

I was thinking in relation to this question and some of the conferences I've been to and other translators I know... is it possible that translators complain more about their crazy schedules than people in other professions (or maybe its just the self-employed who do this). I'm surrounded by workaholics and I barely know anyone who *doesn't* work 12 hour+ days, weekends, holidays, weird hours, etc. I know a workaholic can have negative connotations but I'm proud to be one. And I think it's a goo... See more
I was thinking in relation to this question and some of the conferences I've been to and other translators I know... is it possible that translators complain more about their crazy schedules than people in other professions (or maybe its just the self-employed who do this). I'm surrounded by workaholics and I barely know anyone who *doesn't* work 12 hour+ days, weekends, holidays, weird hours, etc. I know a workaholic can have negative connotations but I'm proud to be one. And I think it's a good thing to be in this line of work.
My two cents.
Collapse

Arianna Tremayne
Arianna Tremayne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:39
German to English
+ ...
When necessary Feb 21, 2006

I can be if necessary and when work demand is high. But I also take a couple of days off to balance it out.

Funny enough, work flows better after have done something totally different for a couple of days.

Arianna

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:39
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No... Feb 21, 2006

I hate working...

Giovanni

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 02:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Often, temporarily Feb 21, 2006

I voted "depends." Overall, I'm not; I take plenty of time for play, my family, and other interests.

But when I get my teeth into an interesting job I can get temporarily obsessed and work 15-18 hour days, several days in a row. Right now, I'm in one of those phases. I haven't watched a single minute of Olympics coverage, usually a major treat!

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:39
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Don't know Feb 21, 2006

I'm too busy to think about it.

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
It's a close one! Feb 21, 2006

Interesting how tight the results are!
I'm glad to see the NO prevails (so far).
Personally, I'm definitely NOT a workaholic, but I can work intensely when required. I'll make sure afterwards, though, that I get plenty of play/leisure time...
I am convinced life was not meant to be spent with our nose glued to a computer screen...
There's so much more out there!!!...
See more
Interesting how tight the results are!
I'm glad to see the NO prevails (so far).
Personally, I'm definitely NOT a workaholic, but I can work intensely when required. I'll make sure afterwards, though, that I get plenty of play/leisure time...
I am convinced life was not meant to be spent with our nose glued to a computer screen...
There's so much more out there!!!
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I hate too much workin Feb 21, 2006

I would rather work in cycles, that is why I always end up working. I chose the third variant. But very soon my situation would hopefully change, after my shift near to the beach. Brandis

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 06:39
German to English
+ ...
My name's James and I'm a workaholic. Feb 21, 2006

Why don't we have a "recovering" workaholic option?

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Definitely NO! Feb 21, 2006

I am hoping to be a cat in my next life!

Minna

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes, I am. Feb 21, 2006

Unfortunately I am one of this sort. It's not much fun

Mrudula Tambe
Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:09
English to Marathi
+ ...
In memoriam
Though not workoholic Feb 21, 2006

but I'm net-o-holic surely. Sometimes I've to wait for jobs because of which I surf unnecessory.

I don't know whether it is good or bad for translation business.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
interested Feb 21, 2006

James Visanji DipTrans PhD wrote:

Why don't we have a "recovering" workaholic option?

Hi! it would certainly be interesting to know of such recovery activities from workholism. Brandis

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Yes! Feb 21, 2006

Yes, I am, although it's DEFINITELY a personal choice!

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
What IS a workaholic? Feb 21, 2006

For me, a workaholic is addicted to work - he lives to work, not the other way round - and needs to work as much as he can, else he is not happy. So to me, people who work a lot aren't necessarily workaholics.

By the way, my husband claims I am one. Not so. I love my work and I can put in long hours, but I defnitely know when to put a stop to it

[Edited at 2006-02-21 21:17]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you consider yourself a workaholic?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »