Poll: How frequently do clients provide you with translation memories (TMs)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 11, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How frequently do clients provide you with translation memories (TMs)?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:02
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Especially larger projects Mar 11, 2006

I've voted 21-30% of the projects which, however, represent approx. 75% of the total work, because TMs are usually provided for larger projects. For the smaller projects I have to use my own memory, the good old grey cells. However, those can be useful when working with TMs as well sometimes.

[Edited at 2006-03-11 22:14]

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:02
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
They don't "provide", but rather "force" their TMs Mar 12, 2006

Actually (IMHO), it's rare case when TMs "provided" by customers are really helpfull for us. My experience - is that customer's TMs intended first of all to decrease payment

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A relevant question would also be "How many times ... TermBases" Mar 12, 2006

... which according to my experience is even more important. But, they better be good.

In the project I am on right now it seems they threw the original text into some meat grinder, seasoned it with the plain vanilla X-to-Y vocabullary and - bingo - here's the TermBase for you, sir.

It includes AUF (=ON) and EIN (=ONE) and some other jewels of machine translations. ...

Regarding TM provided: they are indeed memories of translation. With some of them bein
... See more
... which according to my experience is even more important. But, they better be good.

In the project I am on right now it seems they threw the original text into some meat grinder, seasoned it with the plain vanilla X-to-Y vocabullary and - bingo - here's the TermBase for you, sir.

It includes AUF (=ON) and EIN (=ONE) and some other jewels of machine translations. ...

Regarding TM provided: they are indeed memories of translation. With some of them being nightmares.

What am I supposed to do if the 100% repeats (which are supposedly 85% of the whole text) would flunk the language proficiency test?
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Wow! Mar 15, 2006

Amazing!
I can't believe only 25% of us get TM more than 10% of the time. I thought a big amount of the freelancers here were working mosly for agencies - am I wrong? do you have so many direct clients?

I voted 76-100% because when I work for agencies (most of the time), they provide TM on a 99% basis. Only direct clients do not provide TMs (in my case).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How frequently do clients provide you with translation memories (TMs)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »