Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How do you rate the new profile format (visible to members at http://www.proz.com/profile )?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 08:50
SITE STAFF
Mar 24, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you rate the new profile format (visible to members at http://www.proz.com/profile )?"

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:50
SITE FOUNDER
Please suggest improvements using the dedicated thread Mar 24, 2006

Please post suggested improvements here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/44157

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:50
Italian to Danish
+ ...
No Opinion - Yet Mar 25, 2006

As it often happens, one get used to a certain look and when that changes the first reaction is: Oh no, what have they done to my profile page!! I think it's was a bit too early to ask for a poll on this.

My first impression was: "unbalanced". I actually liked my "old" profile page and had never felt a need for improvement. But once I get used to this new one, I'll probably like it as well - that'll be just about the time when it will be changed again, I suppose.

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
English to German
Are poor and bad not the same thing? Mar 25, 2006

I'd have preferred an option such as "okay" or "satisfactory" or something like that to indicate instead of "poor" and "bad". To me there's a difference between "great" and "good" that's not reflected by the options "poor" and "bad" as for me there's no distinction between them.

Therefore, I'd have found the following options easier to choose from:
great
good
okay
poor
no opinion

And my vote would have gone to "okay".

My 2 cents' worth

[Edited at 2006-03-25 08:59]

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
Beneficial for whom? Mar 25, 2006

Are these changes truly beneficial for ProZ.com and/or ProZ.com members, or are they simply the result of an occupational therapy indulged in while avoiding making agreed, but somewhat more difficult, changes?

Any change to the PropZ.com site should, in my opinion, meet at least one of the following two criteria:

- financially beneficial to ProZ.com AND NOT financially detrimental to the members
- financially beneficial to the members AND NOT financially detrimental to ProZ.com

This layout change does, in my opinion, represent a blatant waste of resources; resources paid for by ProZ.com members.

I can but vote “BAD”.

Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 15:50
German to English
+ ...
... Mar 25, 2006

If I'm honest, the new design looks shocking.

There's never a perfect solution to these things and as much as I like tables and columns (for other reasons) in my day job, it is hard to see how this is an improvement.

Why are things like "project history", "blue board" "portfolio" and "kudoz activity" so high up?

Why is the "about me" - freestyle zone placed right at the bottom?

Why did it take me so long to find one vital piece of information - the pairs I work in? They're hidden away on the left with acres of blank space underneath - hardly eye-catching.

Why is Kudoz activity listed as a series of phrases following on horizontally, rather than vertially as before? Why is this succinct information in broken lines rather than unbroken lines - in what way is this easier to follow? It's a mess! The same goes for the "Translation education" and "experience boxes". At the very least, each individual item should start on a new line with a decent amount of leading.

If this is introduced, please, please, please at least make indefinite retention of the old style optional.

Why has the most important information - contact details been put on a separate tab! On the web, companies lose business by requiring one click too many.

If we have to go with this I would make a few changes:

Every piece of information should start on a new line
Pairs, contact details and Kudoz points (one number only, not the mishmash of pairs and specialities) should be prominently across the TOP of the page.
The table should have a different order, with the most important information (specialities, qualifications) higher up.

Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
I AGREE Mar 25, 2006

James Visanji DipTrans PhD wrote:

Why are things like "project history", "blue board" "portfolio" and "kudoz activity" so high up?

Why is the "about me" - freestyle zone placed right at the bottom?

Why did it take me so long to find one vital piece of information - the pairs I work in? They're hidden away on the left with acres of blank space underneath - hardly eye-catching.

Why is Kudoz activity listed as a series of phrases following on horizontally, rather than vertially as before? Why is this succinct information in broken lines rather than unbroken lines - in what way is this easier to follow? It's a mess! The same goes for the "Translation education" and "experience boxes". At the very least, each individual item should start on a new line with a decent amount of leading.

If this is introduced, please, please, please at least make indefinite retention of the old style optional.

tradall
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Dinny Mar 25, 2006

For the moment, I don't like it at all. It's too big, I prefer the former layout, the columns disturb me, but it is probably only because it is new and I have to get used to it.
Besides, the time shown in my profile is wrong.
The idea of the calendar is OK, but I am not sure that one will bother changing it every day.
The keywords (last § are garbled).

A nice week end to every one.

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
In what way is this an improvement... Mar 25, 2006

... and for whom? The current layout works fine for me - all vital information is available at a glance. I really can't see any true benefits from redesigning our profile pages, this is why I voted "poor." But since I'm generally open to changes, I'm willing to be convinced by anyone who voted "great" or "good."
Thanks
Katharina

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Several improvements Mar 25, 2006

Katharina Wawrzon wrote:

In what way is this an improvement
... and for whom?

The improvements in the new format are explained here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/44157

Thanks for the further suggestions for improvement.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
poor Mar 25, 2006

The top section is way too cluttered and it takes a good amount of conentration to sort out the different categories.

Also, for me the imortant part when I check out somebody's profile is also the way the represent themselves as individuals, not some impersonal fields with statistics. This section is now only visible after scrolling down.

I don't see why an outsourcer should be interested in what kind and how many glossaries I have, and yet they are listed above my experience. The order of these items should be revised.

For the clarity of representation, I definitely prefer the old design. Individual boxes are much clearer than a list in table form.

I do like the map feature. The availability feature might be useful for some, although I definitely won't bother with updating it constantly. The degree of availablity changes so often and so quickly, it will be rather time-consuming to keep this calendar really up to date. And there is no use for it unless it's kept up to date (maybe make it an option to hide this feature completely).

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
I don't like it either-it should be possible to hide features one doesn't want to show Mar 25, 2006

I also don't like the presentation. Imho it's far too cluttered and goes too far in listing items that don't matter.
Really hope there will options to hide things like the map, membership dates, glossary lists etc. Those who want to present all should be able to do so, but those who don't should be allowed to have a choice.
There is really nothing wrong with the "old" profile page. Generally speaking, I feel there have been improvements made to the site in the past year, but there more things that are simply 'changes' and not really 'improvements'. Seems to be a lot of change just for the sake of changing.
A personal opinion, of course.

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dear Henry, Mar 25, 2006

The changes are indeed explained on http://www.proz.com/topic/44157, but not even an indication is given about for whom these changes would be an improvement.

Please clarify!

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Read the number, Sven. Mar 25, 2006

Sven Petersson wrote:

The changes are indeed explained on http://www.proz.com/topic/44157, but not even an indication is given about for whom these changes would be an improvement.

Please clarify!

Just look at the poll results, Sven. They answer your question.

A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 01:50
My two cents... Mar 26, 2006

First and foremost, I'd like to commend the ProZ.com team for their constant efforts to improve the site. Thank you, Henry and Co.!

In my opinion, there's too much emphasis on KudoZ Points. As for the calendar, it looks nice, but - to be honest - I don't think I'll ever use it.

I also agree with James on the following points.

James Visanji DipTrans PhD wrote:

If we have to go with this I would make a few changes:

Every piece of information should start on a new line
Pairs, contact details and Kudoz points (one number only, not the mishmash of pairs and specialities) should be prominently across the TOP of the page.
The table should have a different order, with the most important information (specialities, qualifications) higher up.

[Edited at 2006-03-26 12:02]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you rate the new profile format (visible to members at http://www.proz.com/profile )?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs