Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What is your favorite CAT tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 25, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your favorite CAT tool?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cristina Golab

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your favorite CAT tool?".

This poll was originally submitted by Cristina Golab

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:20
English to Turkish
+ ...
Deja Vu not listed? Mar 26, 2006

Sorry but where is Deja Vu , I believe it should be included in such a poll. Deja Vu is not only "another" tool. There are so many users of Deja Vu here in proz.com.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:20
English to Polish
OmegaT Mar 26, 2006

Linux user doesn't have much choice. But I like OmegaT a lot - there are still things that could be better in it, but I'm sure with time they will be done

And it's easy to use, so no need to spend hours trying to figure out how to make that thing work

Anni

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 20:20
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How can one decide? Mar 26, 2006

Favorite ice cream? Yes, after tasting 50 of them.

Favorite CAT tool? No way. Maybe: which CAT tool you use?
Who has really (meaning reading manual and working on real project for week or two, while testing all possibilities) tried at least five or six CAT tools?

PS: STAR Transit is missing on the list!
PPS: I've voted Wordfast.

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 05:20
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Across Mar 26, 2006

I prefer to use Across

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Another: DéjaVu Mar 26, 2006

I was very impressed by it during the 1-month trial. I definitely prefer DV to Trados, but it's very expensive, and I can't afford to buy it at the moment, so even though I prefer DV, I use Trados.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:20
English to Turkish
+ ...
Favorite ice cream? Mar 26, 2006

Tadej Kokalj wrote:

Favorite ice cream? Yes, after tasting 50 of them.

Favorite CAT tool? No way. Maybe: which CAT tool you use?
Who has really (meaning reading manual and working on real project for week or two, while testing all possibilities) tried at least five or six CAT tools?

PS: STAR Transit is missing on the list!
PPS: I've voted Wordfast.

Definitely, I have tested many Cat tools, read their manuals and now use 4 of them in real projects; namely, Deja Vu X Workgroup, SDLX 2006, Star Transit XV Professional and Trados 6.5 FL (and now Trados 7.5). And yes, the question should be which cat tool you use?

Ladislav Filo (X)
Ladislav Filo (X)  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
Very little choice here Mar 26, 2006

Star Transit is really missing here. And some other as well.

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
none: 3/10 Mar 26, 2006

3 out of 10, I'm pleased to see, still resist using CATs
(and so happy not to be among the million posters on support threads who have constant Trados etc. problems )
leads to another question: how many among us 3 out of 10 are not buying/using them simply because we don't need them, i.e. they would be useless for the type of work we translate (my case)?<
... See more
3 out of 10, I'm pleased to see, still resist using CATs
(and so happy not to be among the million posters on support threads who have constant Trados etc. problems )
leads to another question: how many among us 3 out of 10 are not buying/using them simply because we don't need them, i.e. they would be useless for the type of work we translate (my case)?
df
Collapse

Ian M-H (X)
Ian M-H (X)
United States
Local time: 15:20
German to English
+ ...
Not a very interesting poll Mar 26, 2006

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
question should be which cat tool you use? [/quote]

Even then the answers would reflect the user base rather than telling us anything about how good (however "good" might be defined) the various competing products are.

It's rather like asking ProZians which word-processing program they use: Word would come top, just as Trados is topping the current poll. What's the point?

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Star transit is not listed Mar 26, 2006

And I really prefer this one. But, the thing is I've spent a lot of money upgrading the Trados Workbench since I bought it, many years ago and I'm thinking a lot if it is worthwhile to buy the full version of star transit.

Regards

Clarisa Moraña

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
DejaVu expensive? Mar 26, 2006

Well I don't think that DejaVu is that expensive - initially maybe, but since I bought it back in 2002 I only had to invest 100 EUR once - for the major update from DV 3 to DVX. Everything else - and even the superb support from the people who really know what they are talking about because they actually write the software - comes for free.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 14:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Mine too. Mar 26, 2006

df49f wrote:

they would be useless for the type of work we translate (my case)?
df

Same here. I have TRADOS and know how to use it, hate it and never use it.
I've done a lot of proofreading after TRADOS/Wordfast users for 1 project (the reason the company took care of the SW for me, I'd never buy one out of my own pocket) , and there is one conclusion I have arrived to on a strictly personal level - save 1-word/line repetitions in similar tables/manuals/annual reports etc., translations are faceless, dull, no personality, style suffers tremendously (it does not hurt to have one even for a heavy machinery texts), machine presence shows through.
Again, no doubt there are many instances where CAT tools are valuable but I'm extremely happy to say that those are out of my range. Global replace, copy and paste and my own glossaries in Word do it for me in case of repetitions. For me CAT tools would turn the art of translation into burger-flipping job and I'll start thinking about changing the trade. Dominique is right - the nightmare of fixing the units alone is quite enough. Plus I strongly repel huge discounts:-) My repetitions are paid for:-)

Of course, there are Wizards working in certain fields who turned TRADOS into a golden mine, like Ralf - Ralf, I guess I can say that from your posts, right? However, from all those cries for help I have a strong suspicion that he represents a vast minority:-). Or, again, I believe most of the happy users must be working on pretty standard (if not boring) documents in order to make CAT tools profitable. Otherwise I can't imagine that the time spent on editing to ensure smooth text flow with, the least to say, all the prepositions in the right places and case/tense/gender matching (for the applicable languages) is less than translation from scratch. For the latter, I wonder to what extent am I right or wrong?

Now you can start throwing rotten eggs at me:-)
Irene

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
I wish I could! Mar 26, 2006

"What is your favorite CAT tool?"

How does one use a CAT tool when almost 95% of the work is pdf, tif, fax or photocopies?
I have had Wordfast for over 6 months and have only used it twice. Most CAT tools are not exactly user friendly as they try to accomodate too many languages. If any body knows of one that is useful for say Spanish to English only, I might consider it. As for favourite, I believe a lot of translators buy one because more and more agencies are making it a r
... See more
"What is your favorite CAT tool?"

How does one use a CAT tool when almost 95% of the work is pdf, tif, fax or photocopies?
I have had Wordfast for over 6 months and have only used it twice. Most CAT tools are not exactly user friendly as they try to accomodate too many languages. If any body knows of one that is useful for say Spanish to English only, I might consider it. As for favourite, I believe a lot of translators buy one because more and more agencies are making it a requirement for their projects, spurred along, no doubt, by proz.com deals.
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 12:20
English to French
+ ...
none: another one Mar 26, 2006

CAT tools wouldn't help at all with the kind of jobs I do.

Also, they wouldn't work with my business plan as my business is based on differentiation, not volume. Enough said.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your favorite CAT tool?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »