Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How useful is the ProZ.com term search - proz.com/search?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 3, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How useful is the ProZ.com term search - proz.com/search?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm not sure that Apr 3, 2006

...it works very well, seems to be easier to enter term in Google and include Proz as a key word.

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
:-) Apr 3, 2006

When I'm stuck with a term, I always check the Proz term search first... but I usually cross-check with another source, whenever possible.

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:37
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Not much to find in my language pairs Apr 3, 2006

Whenever I can't find a term in the dictionaries I check with ProZ.com, but I have never been able to find whatever I was looking for (Language pairs Italian/Danish and English/Danish). So my vote was "Not very useful"), which does not imply that it is not a perfect tool in other language pairs.

It is probably much easier to find terms in English/French or English/German, and I often try to go that way around it to at least get a hint.

[Edited at 2006-04-03 12:32]

Aurélie DANIEL
Aurélie DANIEL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
a great tool Apr 3, 2006

I use it quite often, and quite often it is a great source of inspiration. Like Sandra, I always cross-check. I really like it when a term was asked as a KudoZ question and generated an interesting discussion.

Since my language pairs are very common (ENG>FRE, SPA>FRE), there is a lot to work with.

Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
VERY useful to me Apr 3, 2006

I use it often and I usually find a good answer with a question already asked or otherwise I go ahead and ask my own question. Often, there is already a lot going on, a good discussion in a question asked before, that really helps a lot of the times.

Of course I go to my dictionaries, glossaries and other sources as well.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:37
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Unique. Apr 3, 2006

It's not my first address but when dictionaries are bent to their knees and it comes to finding the right term in the right context it's unequaled.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Useful, but... Apr 3, 2006

I think it is a very useful tool, except that I can't search for two-letter words (abbreviations) and I end up having to post most of the stuff I don't know because it's not in there.

Hey, but otherwise, it's great.

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:37
English to Romanian
Great, but... Apr 3, 2006

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

I think it is a very useful tool, except that I can't search for two-letter words (abbreviations) and I end up having to post most of the stuff I don't know because it's not in there.

Hey, but otherwise, it's great.

Agree. Sometimes I really need to search for two-letter words.

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
EXCELLENT Apr 3, 2006

Great, fantastic, extremely useful!!

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very useful! Apr 3, 2006

Just like the rest of the posters, I scan dictionaries, google, and proZ, and I generally go to the kudoZ question itself and read it through.

Agree with Derek about acronyms or two letter words.

Great tool!

Claudia

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I agree with Dinny and Lia Fail! Apr 3, 2006

- Could be that the terms simply are not there... but what I find frustrating is that sometimes I know they are, but WHERE?

Could we have some means of seeing a whole broad subject category alphabetically?

Medical terms for instance may be hidden in any one of the sub-categories, depending on what the asker was working with when the term was posted... or just 'wrongly' classified... because terms may fit into more than one of the narrower categories. It seems to take ag
... See more
- Could be that the terms simply are not there... but what I find frustrating is that sometimes I know they are, but WHERE?

Could we have some means of seeing a whole broad subject category alphabetically?

Medical terms for instance may be hidden in any one of the sub-categories, depending on what the asker was working with when the term was posted... or just 'wrongly' classified... because terms may fit into more than one of the narrower categories. It seems to take ages to click through Medical, general, cardiology, health care, pharmaceuticals... Where is rheumatology? Pædiatrics? Etc.

And on other occasions I have had a technical question, but the precise area of technology I need does not seem to exist at all!

In the Danish to English glossary, there are practically no subjects with 100 entries, and many have only ten or a dozen... why the fragmentation?

The other grouch I have is abbreviations... I know Rx is there at least twice - but don't google that !!! I got a really irritiating popup that was nothing to do with what I wanted

I did print out an answer once, but I would like to find it aqgain (and I tried unsuccessfully to refer another asker to it), but couldn't find it on line.

But there is always the option of asking a new question.. and then the response is impressive!

Thanks a lot folks!
Collapse

Deborah Workman
Deborah Workman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Indispensable as part of www.proz.com/wts Apr 3, 2006

For my language pairs (Spanish/Portuguese/French > English), www.proz.com/wts is a great resource. I'm very sorry to see some of my favorite dictionary sources withdrawn from this all-in-one tool in the past year, leaving now only the cludgier, less reliable and smaller ones. Still, I keep it on in the background... See more
For my language pairs (Spanish/Portuguese/French > English), www.proz.com/wts is a great resource. I'm very sorry to see some of my favorite dictionary sources withdrawn from this all-in-one tool in the past year, leaving now only the cludgier, less reliable and smaller ones. Still, I keep it on in the background.

KudoZ (www.proz.com/search) has saved me a fair number of times. There are enough erroneous entries in the archive that I'm cautious about using it without reference to other sources, but it's still been very helpful in a pinch. For new queries, I really appreciate the dialog with other translators.

[Edited at 2006-04-05 00:46]
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 00:37
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
brainstorming Apr 3, 2006

It can be a way of brainstorming. Even if the exact term for the exact context you're after is not there, often the information on related questions can give you an additional angle, an additional keyword for your search, etc.

The advantage over a regular dictionary: more context and defined areas

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 19:37
Member (2003)
French to English
I use it all the time Apr 3, 2006

I use it all the time, along with the other sources I use when researching terms. The difference with the ProZ.com Term Search is that it gives old KudoZ questions, which feature the term(s) in context. Many times I do use an answer other than the answer that was actually awarded the points, many times I use the same answer that the Asker chose. Also, often I try to post an "agree", to the answerer, to let him/her know that the answer helped me out. I have probably confused some people on oc... See more
I use it all the time, along with the other sources I use when researching terms. The difference with the ProZ.com Term Search is that it gives old KudoZ questions, which feature the term(s) in context. Many times I do use an answer other than the answer that was actually awarded the points, many times I use the same answer that the Asker chose. Also, often I try to post an "agree", to the answerer, to let him/her know that the answer helped me out. I have probably confused some people on occasion, but hopefully they figured out why I was posting the "agree" comment. In any case, it was just a way for me to say "thanks, I needed that term".Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How useful is the ProZ.com term search - proz.com/search?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »